Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2006, 04:57 AM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Washing Machine tub fire pit question

I have seen several campers with firepits made from washing machine tubs. Seems like a good and easy thing to make. I went to buy one and was told there is a fluid an oil or something similar between the liners of the tub. I suspect for balance? Do you need to drain this or will it function fine and safely without out drilling and draining it?
I will be camping in Santee Lakes this next week. Would like to use it then.
Thanks
Bob

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:15 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Bob I don't know about the tub but we hav seen a lot of them. Let us know about Santee Lakes. I have their ad on my desk to contact them about staying there for a month this summer. We need to get out of the Hemet heat but need to be close enough to come back every so often to take care of the two houses.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 05:37 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Bob I just saw your other post about Santee Lake in SD. There is a Santee Lake near San Diego also. Sorry.
Happy trails.......................
Old 04-10-2006, 05:40 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Okay so I haven't had enough coffee this morning. SD may not mean South Dakota but San Diego.
Happy trails..................
Old 04-10-2006, 05:55 AM   #5
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Bob and Carol ... although we've not stayed at Santee Lakes campground, we did drive through it on our last visit to San Diego and it looks like a very nice park. However, there may be lakes somewhere nearby, but the ones at the campground are more in the big pond category than lakes. Don't know any details regarding amenities, but you can get that pretty easily with a phone call/email or checking your Directory.

Sue ... you might want to check weather.com before planning on staying at Santee Lakes during the summer. As I recall, that part of San Diego County is always hotter in the summer.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:59 PM   #6
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Bob used to have one. It didn't have oil around it.Was just a regular wash tub. Itook mine to muffler shop & had them to weld 3 pcs pipe on botom to keep it off ground. Worked real well.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:12 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Vicki don't you know that here in Southern California ponds are lakes and streams are rivers! LOL Any water impresses us. That part of San Diego County probably is a little warmer but I don't think it will be 114 like Hemet was last summer.
Hqppy trails....................
Old 04-11-2006, 09:59 AM   #8
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
We've stayed at Santee Lakes several times. Its pretty nice and fairly quiet. Yes, it does get warm in Santee---lived there for three years but I don't think on average, as "toasty" as Hemet. We spent the weekend two weeks ago at Guajome County Park. My wife kept saying "its too close to Oceanside---lets go someplace else". Well, we both were impressed. The hiking trails adjacent to the stream & 'marshes' are exceptional---there were birds there I did not think lived in California. Its quiet and quite large. Actually, the park is split into two sections---one section has the lake, campgrounds and grasslands and just up the road, is the section that has the restored Guajome Adobe Rancho---really worth the trip. The only downside to Guajome, is they do not have full hookups---water & power only and a dump station. I think Agua Caliente is the only San Diego County Park that has full hookups. Hint: site #31 will hold a 50' unit plus a spare parking pad for your TV.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote