Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
4hackers
Established Member

M.O.C. #19497
Sanitize Fresh Water Tank

Just getting started with setting up the used 2014 3100RL that we recently purchased. How do you get the bleach into the tank? Can someone please give me step by step instructions on how to sanatize the fresh water tank with bleach? We have a "winterizing" port but no way to directly pour the bleach mixture into the tank. I'm sure this info is on a thread here somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

4hackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #2
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hackers View Post
Just getting started with setting up the used 2014 3100RL that we recently purchased. How do you get the bleach into the tank? Can someone please give me step by step instructions on how to sanatize the fresh water tank with bleach? We have a "winterizing" port but no way to directly pour the bleach mixture into the tank. I'm sure this info is on a thread here somewhere but I can't seem to find it.
Easiest way I have heard is simply pour the bleach into the hose before you hook it up to fill the tank. I don't remember who said it but it's too simple.

Mark
Old 04-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
My 3750 would pick up a bleach solution with the pump in winterize. I mixed 1/2 cup bleach in a gallon of water to prevent too much oxidation
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:25 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Me and several others just pour a cup of bleach down a fresh water hose and attach it to the fiver, flip the lever in the convenience center to fill the FW tank, turn on the supply faucet, and fill the tank. With the onboard water pump on ... open the faucets till you smell bleach, then let it sit overnight. Drain and flush the FW tank with fresh water the next day. Flush out the lines with fresh water as well. A bit of baking soda in a slurry will take away the bleach smell. Introduce it into the FW tank the same way you did the bleach.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
4hackers
Established Member

M.O.C. #19497
Thanks for the help everyone. KOLCB when I connect a short hose the the winterize port and suck the bleach/water mixture into the tank using the water pump, how would I know that it's going into the tank & not straight into the water lines? Also, would there be a risk that I'd burn out the pump by running it with the tank empty? Thanks again!
4hackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:16 AM   #6
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
There is also a vent for the fresh water tank on the back of your trailer. just pop the cover up and off and you can pour the bleach in there as well.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:35 AM   #7
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Put 1/4 cup of bleach for each 15 gallons of water capacity in your tank. You can pour it into the empty hose and then turn on the water, or if your coach has an external fill spout, use a funnel and pour it in. Fill the tank and then pull the unit around town or to the next campground. Once full though, I run water through all of the lines until I smell bleach. Careful not to let it get into the water heater. I try to let my tank and lines sit overnight. Also, while it is full, turn on the water pump to sanitize those lines as well. Then empty the tank after getting to the next campground and refill. Run lines until the smell of bleach is no longer there.
I have also used sodium dichlor to sanitize it as well. I sanitize mine twice a year. For those who do not like the idea of the heavy metal in bleach, this is your choice. Attached below are the two ways I sanitize my rigs.
http://rvbasics.com/techtips/sanitiz...er-system.html
Old 04-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #8
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
My 2017 3611 has instructions in the convenience center stating to remove plastic vent to fresh water tank to add bleach. It states to squeeze the sides and remove. I have tried this and doesn't come off easily so quit not wanting to break it! Anyone used this method on this model?

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:39 AM   #9
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Quote:
Originally Posted by navybanker View Post
My 2017 3611 has instructions in the convenience center stating to remove plastic vent to fresh water tank to add bleach. It states to squeeze the sides and remove. I have tried this and doesn't come off easily so quit not wanting to break it! Anyone used this method on this model?
Yes, I mentioned it earlier in the post. It just pops up and off. Although the easiest thing to do is put the solution in your hose before filling.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:38 AM   #10
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Could you explain why below you said not let it get into the water heater?

We had a discussion here on the old style forum. The hot water heater will not heat the water to the boiling point so bacteria can and will grow in the hot water tank coils. I have always sanitized the hot water system and made sure the zinc anode was clean before reinstalling after winterization.

I also flush out the zinc anode port with a good fill and flush or use the pencil stream nozzle then backfill and get soaked while removing the hose.
You will not believe the amount of sediment that comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
Put 1/4 cup of bleach for each 15 gallons of water capacity in your tank. You can pour it into the empty hose and then turn on the water, or if your coach has an external fill spout, use a funnel and pour it in. Fill the tank and then pull the unit around town or to the next campground. Once full though, I run water through all of the lines until I smell bleach. Careful not to let it get into the water heater. I try to let my tank and lines sit overnight. Also, while it is full, turn on the water pump to sanitize those lines as well. Then empty the tank after getting to the next campground and refill. Run lines until the smell of bleach is no longer there.
I have also used sodium dichlor to sanitize it as well. I sanitize mine twice a year. For those who do not like the idea of the heavy metal in bleach, this is your choice. Attached below are the two ways I sanitize my rigs.
http://rvbasics.com/techtips/sanitiz...er-system.html
uhftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #11
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhftx View Post
Could you explain why below you said not let it get into the water heater?

We had a discussion here on the old style forum. The hot water heater will not heat the water to the boiling point so bacteria can and will grow in the hot water tank coils. I have always sanitized the hot water system and made sure the zinc anode was clean before reinstalling after winterization.

I also flush out the zinc anode port with a good fill and flush or use the pencil stream nozzle then backfill and get soaked while removing the hose.
You will not believe the amount of sediment that comes out.
If you use a stream nozzle, then there shouldn't be any problem at all. Maybe I should clarify that. Most forget to, or don't know to flush the WH using a nozzle like that. If it is not flushed, and you use bleach, it takes forever to get the taste and smell out of the WH as long as the sediment is in the tank. It holds the smell/taste really well. When it is flushed, most of the bleach comes out with the sediment.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:52 PM   #12
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Just be careful with the bleach a number of years ago my buddy and I added a little to much bleach after showering we both had burning eyes and we both ended up with blond hair!!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:32 PM   #13
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by navybanker View Post
I have the same instructions; it worked for me. Gently pull on the sides of the cover while moving it up; it will come right off. Use a funnel with a hose and pour the solution into the tank, then fill it normally.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #14
Bill and Jan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12932
During a seminar a few years ago we were taught to use peroxide. I pour one bottle in the fresh water every time we fill it. No bad taste, no need to flush.
Bill and Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:35 PM   #15
montana20
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
If you use a stream nozzle, then there shouldn't be any problem at all. Maybe I should clarify that. Most forget to, or don't know to flush the WH using a nozzle like that. If it is not flushed, and you use bleach, it takes forever to get the taste and smell out of the WH as long as the sediment is in the tank. It holds the smell/taste really well. When it is flushed, most of the bleach comes out with the sediment.

Stream nozzle can you explain what this is and how to hook it up to sanitize the WH?
Old 06-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #16
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Jan View Post
During a seminar a few years ago we were taught to use peroxide. I pour one bottle in the fresh water every time we fill it. No bad taste, no need to flush.
believe it or not, I heard the peroxide was good for you in diluted amounts - it's really a short step from water anyway
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:05 AM   #17
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Wanted to sanitize our fresh water tank after a long trip. The last water we used in NJ was really smelly. Several techniques we all have used thru the years. Thought I would try the overfill vent on the back as some has mentioned. I tried everything to get water into the hole. Do you think there is a diaphragm in-line with that? I even used a long hose, but no luck. So, I went back to other methods. Anybody ever experience not getting water/ bleach in the overflow/vent?
Old 06-30-2019, 09:47 AM   #18
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesb View Post
Wanted to sanitize our fresh water tank after a long trip. The last water we used in NJ was really smelly. Several techniques we all have used thru the years. Thought I would try the overfill vent on the back as some has mentioned. I tried everything to get water into the hole. Do you think there is a diaphragm in-line with that? I even used a long hose, but no luck. So, I went back to other methods. Anybody ever experience not getting water/ bleach in the overflow/vent?
If you had a hose down the overflow, it also serves as the vent, so after a few gallons and no vent it won't fill. I have better luck just pouring the bleach into the hose and filling the normal way through the convenience center.

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote