Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
First, the graphics, and now the shades!

Today didn't start so well because I had to spend a long time outside in cold, windy weather trying to list by ID numbers all the graphics that are peeling off of our Montana (for the second time) so that they can be reordered. (Don't know where they'll come from since Burlington is no longer doing those like we have.) All but 4 "swoops" are coming off; some of the smaller graphics are totally gone.

And then tonight . . . talk about the straw that broke the camel's back . . . A bit of movement at the window above the sofa caught my eye, and sure enough, the blind on that window was easing down at one side; the cord had worn through, just like the cord did 3 months ago in the big shade behind the recliners, the shade that we just had repaired. And less than a month ago, a narrow shade on one side of the picture window did the same thing. We now have crooked, hanging shades hanging on two windows and one newly repaired shade, still in the box, behind our chairs. Both of us have rotator cuff problems, and trying to rehang that big shade was impossible because we couldn't hold it up long enough to get the screws back in.

I could cry. As a matter of fact, when I realized what was happening to that shade tonight, I did cry.

We travel with our shades down, so they're not banging around as we go down the road. We raise and lower them carefully and evenly. Is this normal to have so many cord problems? It's really discouraging.

When we arrive at the June rally in Spokane, I hope we don't look like total trailer trash. As I said, this is surely a discouraging situation.

Pity party time!

Carolyn

2007 3585SA Montana

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Carolyn, where are you guys right now? If you can make it to the Jackson Rally next month I will be teaching a shade restringing class and will be repairing all the shades we can. If you can't make it we will be headed south after the Jackson Rally and will be passing through Phoenix, Tucson, and points east of there during May. Let me know where you are and we will see if we can meet you somewhere... P.S. Yes, it is normal for any shades that have not been loosened up since you got them. So far I have found that 95 % of the shades I have checked have been strung way too tight. That makes the string cut through the nylon grommets through the aluminum extrusions and causing the string to fray from dragging over the aluminum and eventually snap the cords. I have lots of extra grommets both large and the small ones as well as several hundred yards of the white shade cord..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Sounds like time to start looking for a new rig! You know they build these things to wear out after a certain time! LOL.... Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:26 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We also have a 2007 model (different floor plan) and have had none of the problems. Although I must say we are not full timers.
Our graphics still look very good. No major peeling, just a little cracking/peeling started last year in the tight corners of the front MONTANA.
Had one screw come loose in one of the shades, otherwise never a problem with any of them.
Hard to understand how the lucky ones of us with so few problems can be so different from those unlucky enough to have all the problems.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:40 AM   #5
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I just restrung our big window, 4 strings,
and a little one too. I actually did the big one twice
cause I got the middle bar on backwards first time.

I went to Home Depot and got a spool of BRAIDED
construction string, about 200' for under $10. Seems
to work better than the original.
I can understand the problem of putting them back up
Especially with shoulder problem. I fastened mine to the
Valence instead of wall, then hung the valence to wall,
this worked for me and seemed to be easier.
I hope there is someone near to help with your "blind situation."
If you are near Portland I would be glad to help.
Have a bright sunshiny day
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I just restrung one of mine and it was alot easyer than I thought. I am going to get some of the string from lowes and keep on hand just in case. this is the first one I have had trouble with.
Dave where do you get the little grommets from?
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
We changed our out for blinds. 2" blinds they looks fantastic and open and shut so much easier than the day n night shades. should have done it years ago. We got them from Blinds.com. They guarentee that they will fit or the will send the next one free. They fit behind the original valeneces. DW is very happy with them. Still need to replace the Bedroom one, but we very seldom open it up.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Bobby, when I ordered the line from the Dirtyblindman they sent about 2 dozen small ones and a half dozen bigger ones. I got 3 rolls of 300 yards each and each roll had the same number of grommets. So I still have a lot left since I haven't run through one roll yet. I will be teaching a restringing class at the Jackson California rally next month and probably at the fall Rally also.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:14 AM   #9
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
Hey Carolyn,
Sorry another cord broke - it is common, unfortunately, since the cord guides tend to be installed wrong originally and then the string rubs against metal, frays, and breaks. Once they are restrung correctly and with proper size string (diameter), you shouldn't have these problems.

Safe travels to Montana!
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:34 AM   #10
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Brad and Suzanne, we wish we were closer to you because at this point, we think many of our blinds probably need restringing, and we'd turn them all over to you. You guys did such a great job, so fast and at a MOST REASONABLE price, on that big one we sent to you not long ago. Any chance you guys are coming to the rally in Spokane in June? If so, I'd live with sheets on the windows until I saw you there. What will be your mailing address for April, May, and June?

Wouldn't it be nice if the blinds were strung correctly when they were installed in our rigs? Thank goodness that through your business, the MOC members do have a good contact for getting the restringing done. Thanks again to Carl Youngren for giving us your contact info.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:39 AM   #11
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I think I have already restrung 1/2 of the shades in our trailer and we are not fulltimers.

When I took the shades down, the unbroken strings were strung tighter than most tennis rackets.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:57 AM   #12
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
Quote:
quote: What will be your mailing address for April, May, and June?
You are very kind, Carolyn. We plan to stay on the each coast this summer - a bit far from Spokane! But let us know if you want to send us more blinds, and we can get an address to you - never a problem.
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote