Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
satellite prep

Has anyone have the satellite prep from the factory. What I would like to know are both tv's on one line or do they have there own feeds so you can hookup 2 receivers so each tv has its own channels

hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We hook up two receivers by just running the cable through the bedroom window for the one in the bedroom. The bedroom does not have its own outside feed. Once we are really full timing, we'll add a more permanent solution. Monty will be almost 3 years old by then and maybe we won't feel so bad about putting a hole in him! LOL
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Don, my 2980 monty has a seperate cable for the bedroom, but for my dish network, to recieve seperate channels, I bought a 322 dish reciever. the 322 comes with 2 remotes, but only one receiver for both tv's and it works great. Radio shack or most any dish network if thats what you have will carry it. costs is 150.00 at radio shack hope this helps
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
thanks I have the canadian starchoice so I have to use 2 receivers
Old 02-25-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Don't know if they have changed the wiring in the newer models but this is how mine is set up.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL19/1.../111212066.jpg
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I talked to the factory and they said the Montana is set up for one satellite so the dealer is going to run another feed to the bedroom from the convenence pannel before they install the slendide w/d combo
Old 02-28-2007, 05:39 PM   #7
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
I don't have Dish Net yet, but I've been looking into it. I could be wrong but I thought I read about one of their DVR/Receivers, that one receiver supplied two TVs. So if you had one dish input to the Monte, into the DVR/Reciever, the first output would go to the Living Room TV and the second output could go to the Bedroom TV using the single coax cable from the Living Room to Bedroom.

Your way with the second coax from the convenience panel to the Bedroom is okay to. You would just have to have two separate receivers, one for the Living Room and one for the Bedroom.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #8
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Canadian satellite doesn't have a receiver that handles two tv's so you need two receivers
Old 03-01-2007, 05:34 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Don,

Unfortunately, the dual tuner recievers from Dish require 2 satellite inputs to work. That is the only way to watch separate programs on each TV.

To separate that single satellite input from the outside, you'll need a Dish switch (kind of pricey), or go to a dual LNB Dish 500 (assuming you are using a portable).

We are installing the winegard dome on the roof that has a dual LNB to support 2 receivers. It will also have it's limits, as the dome will move to either satellite automatically based on the channel you chose, but the 2nd TV is limited to programs on the satellite selected by the main TV (can't have 2 TVs telling the dome which satellite to look at).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:35 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Charlie -

I think you're drawing is still current. The only thing I haven't figured yet is where they tapped for the new basement TV connection. I assume it is limited to the overhead antenna run using a splitter.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:14 AM   #11
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I was going to start a thread to ask people's opinion about Direct TV -vs- Dish Network. I didn't even notice before this whole satellite section...LOL Anyway, I have been considering having CW install the Winnegard system on my Monty. I'm VERY iliterate when it comes to this stuff, so I will have to rely on their input if/when the time comes. But, if they do the installation, won't they hook all the wiring up, and set it up so both tv's work with the dish? I need to find out how much this costs per month also.

I thought about the Dish Network, but when I was on vacation, the peoples I saw with it seemed to have problems. They would be out there trying to set the dish up, hanging filled water jugs off of it so it would stay up, and turning it to try and find the satellite out there in space. It seems it would be a lot easier to have the Winnegard dish installed, and have it do all the work up there by itself. Opinions??? Thanks...

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:36 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Jan, my understanding is that these sattelite things operate on line of sight. If you happen to park under some trees or other obstructing material you will lose your signal. That is why some folks (including me eventually) will opt for the tripod mounted dish through Direct TV. That way I can move it around the camp for line of sight. They do have those with automatic satellite searching capability also. Hope this helps. Someone wll have other opinions, I'm sure....

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:51 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Jan,

I'm with you. I used a portable dish for years, and we called it the "divorce dish" . It was the one setup I regretted, and usually would take us over an hour to get it to work. Last I saw of that dish it was blowing across the field in Nebraska after it snapped the cable right out of the Camper. I'm sure many folks have good success, but I'm not one of them.

We opted for the Winegard rooftop automatic this time. It's installed, but I haven't finished running the cables yet. Our's will run two receivers, and with Dish Network, will receive HD. Given the cost, I'm just going to use the new dual tuner HD receiver from the house. The winegard antenna cannot pick up Direct TV HD due to the format they use.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:00 AM   #14
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
I use the Dish 625 receiver, it is similar to the 322 but has program recording capability. I have the Dish 500 antenna with 2 coaxes coming off of it. To set it up for separate reception in living room and bed room attach the 2 coaxes from the antenna to a diplexer and run the single output of the diplexer to the sat/cable connector on the outside of the Montana. At the entertainment center, where the cable input comes in to the TV, I connect the a short coax to the cable output and connect the other end to another diplexer. From this diplexed I run one coax to the the satellite receiver and the other to the jumper input for the bedroom TV. This gives me separate satellite inputs to the living room and the bedroom.

The TV connection in the basement is tied into the bedroom input so I can run the outside TV as a slave to the bedroom TV, other words, I use the bedroom satellite remote when I am using the outside TV.

Sound kind of confusing but it is easier to hook up than to explain. The diplexer is like a splitter but it is made to combine and separate the two individual signals from the satellite antenna. You can not use a splitter in place of the diplexer.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:04 PM   #15
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Don,

Unfortunately, the dual tuner recievers from Dish require 2 satellite inputs to work. That is the only way to watch separate programs on each TV.

To separate that single satellite input from the outside, you'll need a Dish switch (kind of pricey), or go to a dual LNB Dish 500 (assuming you are using a portable).

We are installing the winegard dome on the roof that has a dual LNB to support 2 receivers. It will also have it's limits, as the dome will move to either satellite automatically based on the channel you chose, but the 2nd TV is limited to programs on the satellite selected by the main TV (can't have 2 TVs telling the dome which satellite to look at).
Brad,

Any idea of what your height will be once you install the Winegard?

Grant
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:27 PM   #16
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Uhhhhh, well thanks there Jim, you just intimidated me right out of that idea...LMAO If CW doesn't do the wiring and hookups, I'll just live with the big 3(ABC/NBC/CBS)until I run into Jim out there somewhere...LOL

Thanks for the input Phil, I just saw those people having an awful lot of trouble out there with the tripod setup. So, I'm a little wary about it.

Yea Brad, I would see the guy turning the tripod, and the woman half way between him and the trailer. I guess she would be the go between...LOL I saw couples dealing with the tripod setup on more than one occasion. I guess I would need to train Molly, Connor or Chloe to either bark or squawk when the signal came in if I were to go the tripod route...LOL

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #17
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Hi to all, we have the Direct TV (HDTV) and use the Tri-Pod mount I bought the surveyor type tri-pod at Lowes. Got the idea from our Hughes Net Satellite system. The main reason most people have a problem with set-up, is have the dish level and a clear line of site to the southern sky. After going full time, we wanted HDTV, called Direct Tv which we have had for several years. They came to our 5th wheel and set up our (5 LNB) HDTV dish. And I have set up our system in Texas, Arizona and Tennessee. The larger dish is more cumbersome and heavyier. But you can do it. With Direct you only have to hit 1 Satellite. We get East/West and our local channels, however when we aren't in TN at our home base the locals aren't in HDTV but it will be available soon, and Direct will have by the end of the year about 138 HD channels. Good Luck...GBY...

We are looking into getting a roof mount system also. However Winguard told us the would have a HDTV system available in Feb. or Mar. our budget want allow it for now. I was looking into the push a button and lock onto the satellite automatically, be sure and ask about the Winguard being able to pick-up HDTV...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:51 PM   #18
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:bsmeaton Posted - Mar 15 2007 : 11:51:05 AM
...We opted for the Winegard rooftop automatic this time. It's installed, but I haven't finished running the cables yet. Our's will run two receivers, and with Dish Network, will receive HD. Given the cost, I'm just going to use the new dual tuner HD receiver from the house. The winegard antenna cannot pick up Direct TV HD due to the format they use.
Brad, What model Winegard did you get Did you install it yourself I would be willing to install one, but it scares me to think about cutting into the roof. I think that some sort of automatic dish mounted on the roof is the only way to go. Otherwise it would take to long to setup on a daily basis as you travel.

I just got Dishnet last Sunday. I got a HD/DVR receiver and 2 HD receivers. So far I am impressed with picture quality.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:18 AM   #19
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I have set up dishes for for different satellite systems and the first few times it is difficult but once you get use to it it easier. If in unsure in a new campground I use my GPS to find the direction of the satillite then work from there
Old 03-16-2007, 07:53 AM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Don - Grant,

We bought the Winegard roadtrip which is a low profile (12") tall dome. We mounted it right in the middle between the kitchen vent and bath area vents. Overall, the height is less than our front AC at 13' 3".

The winegard will automatically grab either of the two satellites for Dish Network, or Direct TV depending on the position of the dipswitches. The dish can only recieve 1 satellite at a time, and moves to the other satellite if required when you change channels. The Living Room TV will control that. The bedroom TV (second cable) can only watch channels on the satellite selected by the Living Room TV. (otherwise they would fight with each other). The Winegard will recieve HD through Dish Network on Satellite 110. It cannot see HD from Direct TV because of the format they use. Winegard is obtaining licenses for the new third satellite for both companies and once recieved, We can upgrade the card in the dome to recieve all three satellite if we elect to.

Have not finished running the wires yet, but have them through the roof down into the electrical space above the W/D closet and down the inside of the wall to the hall control panel. I'll put the switch there with a dedicated circuit from the spares. Then both cables go to the Living Room TV for the dual tuner. (maybe this weekend).