Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #1
8amps
Established Member

M.O.C. #19940
New 2017 Montana 3950BR maybe major issue with slides and frame flex

We picked up our new 2017 Montana 3950BR (mid bunk room) just over a month ago. We have a few issues, fridge not cooling well, AC not cooling much in high temps (Houston in the low to mid 90s outside, 80-85 inside) but planning on getting these addressed at our service appointment next week. We are full timers, we bought the rig in Mississippi but are now traveling in Ohio and then to Colorado with a stop off in Niagara Falls and Elkhart. I know, going the long way.
We love the floorplan and many of the features that this has compared to our previous rig, a 2010 Heartland Bighorn.
However two (in my mind) serious issues have arisen and I am really concerned about. 1) our two hydraulic slides keep coming out when going down the road. Anywhere from a fingertip width to a fist or more. Put them back in, check the switch is in neutral (I think it is sticking) and they come back out down the road. Wash, rinse, repeat. All down the sides near the outside of the slide has black scuff marks on it.
The 2nd and even more concerning is that when we set up on Saturday, I saw that the edge of the overhang had broken the caulk line by about a fingertip width. When we came down off the truck, it closed up. I know that is not a lot, but we had frame flex with our previous rig and had to bring it all the way to Elkhart for Heartland to fix (which they did even though it was long out of warranty) but that just made me sick to my stomach when I saw that. I haven't noticed any shifting in the closet but I haven't really looked because honestly, that was the last thing I expected with a month old rig. We are going through Elkhart anyway, and returning to our dealer is not an option, but not sure what to do from here? When I called Montana Customer Service about the fridge they said to go to an authorized service center, etc. But since we're going to be there, I think the factory should look at the possible frame flex. Any advice appreciated.

8amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:36 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I read on here that the flex of up to 3/4 (or maybe 1) inch is normal according to Keystone.
I was at the Rally in Goshen and made an appt weeks in advance at Tiara to look at the slides extending. Why they bothered taking it in, I don't know. After looking at it they said they didn't have high pressure guages (4000 psi, I think) that are required to check the cylinders. They did get me an appt at the Lippert factory the next morning. Lippert didn't even check the cylinders. They said usually the two big slide cylinders are the ones that go bad and they just replaced them. Took about 5 hours and we were on the road. Had a slight problem by the time I got home, and dealer said just run the slides all the way in and out about 10 times (to get air out of lines) and that fixed it for 3 years now.
Not sure how to get into Lippert? Maybe call them or Tiara first???

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:49 PM   #3
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Another member here, Golfmedic, had a serious frame-flex problem which took him months and much aggravation to get worked out with Keystone. You can do a search here for the thread. It has to be the longest running thread ever on this site. Maybe you can gain some information on contacts and cut through some of the red-tape he experienced. Good luck and hope your problems get resolved quickly and satisfactorily.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Not a happy start for sure.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:47 AM   #5
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Sorry to hear of your problems.

It may be just me but problems with that 3950 model seem to be popping up more frequently. Perhaps it is just such a popular model as of late I am not sure.

At any rate We hope for you a satisfactory resolution soon. Keep us posted.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:13 AM   #6
8amps
Established Member

M.O.C. #19940
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambam View Post
Another member here, Golfmedic, had a serious frame-flex problem which took him months and much aggravation to get worked out with Keystone. You can do a search here for the thread. It has to be the longest running thread ever on this site. Maybe you can gain some information on contacts and cut through some of the red-tape he experienced. Good luck and hope your problems get resolved quickly and satisfactorily.
I read all 21 pages of it last night and this morning. Not encouraging. The video he posted at the very beginning of his saga looks just like ours.
8amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #7
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
I guess if I ever get my 3950BR out of the shop for the same issues, A/C and Refrigerator not cooling (plus a arm length of misc issues) I will look for the nose flex. I know there are always a few problems on new campers but this past the point of ridiculous. My patience is already gone due to dealer trying to BS way out of every issues until they figured out this was not my first rodeo, I do know electrical very well and I do a ton of research and that I called Keystone and opened a case after they failed to show all day after telling me mobile repair truck was dispatched at 9:30AM.
2017 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L PS 4:10's
Monett, MO
jeff_banning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #8
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
I haven't had any flex issues with my unit, but the brackets for my fridge slide were week and had to be replaced with heavier ones. As for my fridge, I got the specs from norcold today, and the temps I recorded today were within there normal limits. I am going to try moving the thermistor to a different fin, and see what happens. I got that from a different forum. Apparently moving that around will affect the temperature. I also ordered a new thermistor just in case that was the problem, Amazon, 15 bucks so why not.
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #9
jjfleck
Established Member

M.O.C. #19826
I just had the same exact problem with my slides. Brand new 2017 3820FK, never even got out of the driveway. Turned out one of my front jack heads was no good. All the jacks and the slides are connected on the one hydraulic system. Had the jack replaced, so far all is good, that was a week ago. Good luck with the frame issue let us know what the outcome is.
jjfleck is offline   Reply With Quote