Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2016, 11:27 AM   #1
Kampn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18069
Furnace blowing fuses

It's been a almost two weeks now, but the first night we spent in our 2016 3000RE the furnace went out. We hadn't left Ringgold VA where we purchased the camper yet, so I drove back to the dealer the next morning. They were great, put a fella right on the problem. But here is the interesting part. The tech put a fuse in and flipped it on, you could hear the blower motor hum for a second and then the fuse POPPED. Next he turned off the switch in the furnace housing and then stuck his finger in the bottom and gave the fan blade a little push. He replaced the fuse, turned the switch back on and then turned on the furnace at the thermostat. It worked like a charm, the furnace came on and ran. He turned it on and off, ran it for several minutes and it worked fine each time. I told him I was very concerned it would just do it again. He said he had experienced this problem on multiple occasions and mostly the problem never came back. I can't say that made me feel warm and fuzzy, but the furnace was running.. so what could I do. Well its been two weeks now and I've used the furnace most of last weekend and the problem has never returned.. yet anyway. So for whats its worth, I thought I would share this with you in case you ever had a similar problem. Only time will tell if it will act up again.

Kampn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Interesting, thanks for sharing.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:12 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Ringgold VA or Ringgold GA ?

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:08 AM   #4
Kampn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18069
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WeBeFulltime

Ringgold VA or Ringgold GA ?
Ringgold VA, we purchased it from:

RV Outlet USA
4170 South Boston Hwy
Ringgold, VA 24586

We had a very good experience with them. We traveled from Nashville Tn to them because they gave us a much better deal then our small local dealer. A common story for sure. From what I've read here on MOC there are a handful of really good places to save some money on new rigs. I have no idea which one is the best, but we're happy with the deal we got. I would rather buy local, but it wasn't worth paying an extra 10 grand.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A bad spot on the winding maybe, but probably a bad fan motor, my money is on it doing it again.
The motor is the big load in the system, the only thing that would blow the fuse without burning a board and shorting, but it wasn't that.
Good luck on the problem.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:37 PM   #6
Flintlock
Established Member

M.O.C. #17675
We had the same issue with blowing fuses. Talked to a tech at Attwood and he said our furnace draws up to 18 amps on start up. He stated that Attwood made the rv manufacturers aware of it and sent out slow blow 15 amp fuses with all the furnaces. He sent me two, only problem is that you can't close the cover to the fuse pannel when they are installed, too long. I installed a 15 amp 12 volt circuit breaker instead.

Flintlock
Flintlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #7
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I had one blow while running our furnace two weekends ago. Replaced fuse and never had another problem. I still don't know what caused it to blow the fuse. When it happened I was still trying to get the Program 1 shut off in the thermostat. It had the heater and the LR AC running at the same time. I figured out how to get the Dometic program shut off and everything worked fine after that with no blown fuses. I hope I don't have any more issues especially with the motor.

Tom Marty
Old 03-11-2016, 05:26 AM   #8
Kampn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18069
So far so good with ours, which is to say the problem still hasn't returned on any of our weekend trips. I still hold my breath on the first use wondering if it's going to come on. It's just now warming up here in Nashville TN, but up till now we've had to run it everyday when we're camping. So for whatever reason, rotating the fan that one time has worked so far. Perhaps its like Ozz is guessing. I'm glad to know about the load though, it's something for us to watch out for.
We're headed out to Henry Horton State Park for a four day trip next weekend. Its that time of the year when we have to use of mix of heaters, air conditioners and open windows. Com'on spring!
Old 03-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #9
REDBEV MONTANA
Established Member

M.O.C. #17253
Flintlock, did installing 15 amp 12 v circuit breaker seem to fix the problem? I have thought about doing that also as ours randomly blows fuse. Fuse might last 2 hours or two to three weeks, never know which. Was not sure if circuit breaker was a safe alternative.
REDBEV MONTANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:47 AM   #10
REDBEV MONTANA
Established Member

M.O.C. #17253
This seems to be a problem that started with the 2016'S???
REDBEV MONTANA is offline   Reply With Quote