Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
DirecTV

When we go on the road can we get our local channels with our DirecTV receiver if we keep our home zip code registered with them? We previously paid the extra for the EAST/WEST package to get ABC/CBS/NBC, etc. We don't care about local news, just the network programming. thanks for any help

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
When we had DirecTV we did this. Wherever we were set up we got the local channels from our home area. Now we do the same for Dish Network.

We never tried to get the local channels from where we were, even though I understand this might have been possible. News wise we were more concerned in what was happening back at home. For network programming, we preferred our local channels, too, because it's what we are used to.

The most difficult part of Satellite TV is getting the satellite dish lined up. Everything falls into place after that. I use the manual method, but there are more expensive automatic methods that are suitable. In either case, be mindful of what you are providing, for example, HD TV and programming might add additional considerations. Again, we use non-HD in the rig while we have HD at home. This does require some changes with Dish Network and DirecTV this difference was easier to manage. I'll spare you the details, since much of this may have changed over the years.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
so what you are saying is that if we keep our system set up for our zip code at home we will be able to get our news, etc from home. It will work no matter where we set up?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
You will lose your local channels when you get about 450miles away from your home. According to Direct TV this is an FCC rule. They tell me I can change mr residence zip code and address if I am going to be somewhere for awhile, but I have not tried that as yet.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Just got off the phone with Direct TV. According to them, the "east/west" package is no longer an option, although those who have it are grandfathered in. Further, they said that due to recent lawsuits, they will no longer temporarily change our home address when we are on the road. So...only option to get major network channels (abc/nbc/cbs) when we are more than 450miles from stick house is to get a mobile license and have a separate account for the rv. I have pushed ths up the management chain at Direct TV to the point I think I am getting good information, although when I travel other campers alledge that Dish TV will arbitrarily change their address to match wherever they are staying. Would be interested in other satellite users experience.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We have Dish and just call and give them our current address when we travel outside our home area. Our home area is DFW area. Was in southern Colorado last month. Called Dish, gave them our new "service address" and a few minutes later we were receiving local network channels from Denver. Have done it a number of times at different locations. This last time they still had the Colorado address from last year and simply reselected it. No questions asked. Billing address does not change.
Nice to have network programs in the time zone you are currently in. And to get local news and weather.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
What happens after 450 miles? Does it just stop working?
Old 07-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You lose all local channels such as NBC, ABC, etc.. But you still receive all other channels such as ESPN, History, CNN, etc.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
With Dish, once you are outside of the "spot beam", you get all the channels but your locals. The direct spot beam seems to be much greater than Dish but I'm not certain about the 450 miles.

I have seldom had problems moving my service address to get the locals while traveling with Dish. They have an on-the-go account for RV's that lets you subscribe a month at a time or add the RV receiver to the home account for $7.00 per month.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
Unless you are way out, why not just use the dish for network channels and digital over-the-air for locals? Only problem is if you are too far from any transmitters for dtv.

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
DirecTV is getting really hard to deal with. Effective June 3rd or so, they no longer install equipment in a RV. You can get a separate RV account (which means another $70 or so per month when active) and either the East (New York) or the West (Los Angeles) feed depending on your billing address. Getting both is no longer an option. They are unwilling to change your service address (the source of your locals stations) more than once or twice a year. With two accounts (home and RV) you could deactivate one and activate the other to avoid paying twice as much. But there are caveats. The RV account has to be active at least twice a year. If it goes six months as inactive, it will be activated (and the charges begins again). When you activate the RV account you usually turn off the home account so you aren't paying double. When the home account is turned off the boxes no longer get a signal. This is probably O.K. if no one else is at home.

Realistically, I see two options. Take a box from home, and if you move out of the spot beam, use the OTA signals to pick up network stations. Otherwise, particularly if you like to DVR network programs, convert to Dish. Dish is much more RV friendly.

I have had a RV account with both East and West network feeds for a long time. Two of our camping friends have managed to get a DVR, with West network feeds as part of the home account even though it is in the RV. But I am very sure it was a mistake by someone at DirecTV. Most reps tell you it can't be done. I am trying to help my neighbor right now to do a similar thing. He has been fighting with DirecTV for three months to get a box for his RV. On Monday they are supposed to deliver a DVR as part of his new RV account. He is willing to go with two accounts right now. But he will continue to try to convince some agent at DirecTV to consolidate all of the receivers into one account further down the line. It really shouldn't be this hard!!! And it appears Dish isn't.

If you aren't too imbedded with DirecTV (i.e. your two year commitment is up) consider changing to Dish. As a bonus, most of the portable antennas will support HD from Dish but not DirecTV.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Come to think of it, living in Southern California, when we travel relatively locally we got local channels and those have been mostly our trips within the past few years. I don't remember what happened when we traveled farther like to Arizona, Northern California, or Nevada. We don't watch much TV in favor of going places away from the rig when we travel that far away. So my original post was written under these conditions.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

...Come to think of it, living in Southern California, when we travel relatively locally we got local channels....
Are your locals KCBS, KNBC, and KABC? Those are the Western Distant Network Services (DNS) feeds and are likely CONUS based (all of the continental US) and not spot beamed. You likely will get them anywhere you go in the country. Does anyone know for sure. Moving to L.A. (well at least getting an installation there) may be another way to get western DNS without a RV waiver.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #14
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Therein lies one of the issues with leaving Direct and going to Dish - I'm told it is about a $200 conversion to modify the satellite antenna to receive the Dish HD signals. I may stil bite the bullet and switch to Dish as from all accounts they seem much more attuned to accommodating RV'rs.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
hunts800 If you get mad at direct tv you can always switch to dish, all you have to do is change the Reflector (RPSK11) $32.00 and the L&B RPSK2 $280.00. You can only go from direct tv to dish not the other way
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #16
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I see that DTV is getting some negative publicity here. Yesterday I needed to contact them because I'd forgotten how to complete a process. And even though I got a novice on the phone he was very nice and willing to let me know that he had to get some assistance to help answer my question. Within less than 10 minutes he had gotten me to do what was necessary and everything was working as it should. So overall I was completely satisfied with DirecTV customer service. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:08 AM   #17
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
We finally got hooked up with network feeds, no local channels, but network news and programming cost went up another $10 per month.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:27 AM   #18
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
We have had DirecTV at home and in the RV for several years. We live in the DFW metroplex and the spotbeam for the local channels goes out approx. 150 to 200 miles from DFW, after that the locals simply indicate "unable to connect to satellite" but the national channels are fine. On vacation this summer, I was able to call DirecTV and they updated my equipment address to where I was so I could get the local channels in that region.

When we returned home and had the addresss reverted to the billing location the girl did say they were not supposed to change the equipment address, but that most of them do it anyway. We are very satisfied with DirecTV, but if Dish or local broadcasts-only work for you then go for it. This is not a one size fits all world so find what works best for you.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:09 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is interesting about Directtv no longer temporally change your address as we do that every year when we go to Florida for the winter. We just tell them we are at our "winter residence" and they change our "installation " address. That may have changed but it is no big deal as we can get all the locals on the bat wing but it means I will have to change my input from Sat to Tv a one button push.

By the book directv never installed systems in a RV not to say it was not done. Some bone head probably complained that well you did it for a guy I know so do it for me and screwed it up for all of us.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:22 AM   #20
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
OK, hopefully DirecTV isn't listening. Several years ago we contacted Direct telling them we were Full Time RVers (slight fib as we're really long termers) and requested the Distant Network Feeds, yea we were too late to get both East and West, so we just get the East. All we had to do was supply a copy of the RV registration and fill out their form and pay the additional $10/month. When we return to home base in Western NY we still get the local channels plus our East Coast feeds. When we travel we use either park cable if avail, the Bat wing, or go without. We just take all the receivers with us, same as we've always done. Works for us.