Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
sniperleader

M.O.C. #11402
Montana 5th Wheel stabilizer problem

I have a Montana 5th wheel with the electric stabilizers and remote control. My unit no longer works with the interior switches and I have to use the remote control. The stabilizers and control are from Lippert. I checked fuses and still can't find the problem.

sniperleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You might start by removing power and unscrewing the master panel from the interior wall. The ceiling fan switch has those little flipper arms also holding it all to the wall. Once you get it hanging out the wall, have someone turn the power back on long enough to check for power at the switch. Depending on that result go from there. If you're a bit shy around electricity, have a pro check it out.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
This has come up a number of times but darned if I can find the last set of responses. But I do have the following information rat-holed and offer it for your consideration.

From an earlier MOC posting (author unknown)

Remote Control Receiver Problems and Fix

Maybe this will help some of you with this problem. The black box located in the forward storage compartment is called a lot of things. I will refer to it as the receiver since it receives the signals from the remote key fob/control to operate the slides awning, landing gear and rear stabilizers. The receiver has + and – 12 volt terminals on the right side to supply power to the receiver. This power is straight off the battery and protected by one of the circuit breaker below it. On the top of the receiver are another pair of + and – 12 volt terminals. These terminals are labeled “manual switches” and they supply 12 volt power to the outside switches for the landing gear, rear stabilizers and inside switches for the slides and awning. The only logic for this wiring set up is that when the remote control is turned on, the receiver disconnects power from the top + and - 12 volt output terminals so the manual switches cannot be used the same time the remote control is being used. How knows what kind of interference or problems this would cause if they were both used at the same time??
Here is the problem I experienced and my fix which so far has been working OK. After the warranty ran out (naturally) the outside switches for the Landing gear and rear stabilizers quit working. The inside switches for the slides and awning worked OK. After some meter work I found that the switches were getting power and working fine, but were not getting a ground. That is when I found that the top – 12 volt terminal was not providing ground for the switches. I removed the wire from the terminal and attached to chassis ground and shazam everything worked again.
This worked good for a couple months then all of a sudden the outside switches quit working again AND the inside switches for the slides and awning quit working also, but the remote worked OK. Getting the meter out again I found that the upper + 12 volt terminal for the manual switches was dead therefore not providing power to any of the manual switches. So I removed the + wire from the manual switches terminal and connected directly to the + 12 volt terminal for the receiver supply. Now everything works the way it is supposed to again. The only thing I have to remember is make sure both the remote and the manual switches are not used at the same time.
I never tried rebooting the receiver as mentioned in another thread. But from what I read, it only cured the problem temporarily anyway.
Evidently there is a transistor or relay inside the receiver that fails and opens the + and - 12 volt manual switch power supply. Of course the dealer is not going to do this work around, they are just going to order you a new receiver which comes with new switches and remote whether you need them or not and replace the receiver, probably for a nominal $400.00 to $500.00. Chances are that they don’t even know how the system works and just change out the parts. By the way, Lippert who sells this system to Keystone was absolutely no help at all and neither was Keystone.
I hope this is some help to you, especially if your warranty is expired. Let me know if this works for any of you.

This is a posting by Jack Lyons with text and pictures of his repair/circumvention of the problem.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=46515

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
OK ... light was on but no one was home ... I was thinking switch, but mixed up the awning switch inside the fiver with the stabilizer switch outside by the front landing gear jacks. Same test on the switch, just different location. Or ... go with Carl and Susan's reply.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
My dealer did the work around and its been fine of over 2 years. I had jumpered it with clips while on the road so the work around was good by me.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote