Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
sewer smell

I put a Pelican 2, front A/C on monty last month before a month long trip.
Now Im getting a sewer smell in the trailer while traveling.
Has this happened to any one else. No smell when parked.
Not sure if the unit is drafting the smell into the A/C unit or if the air flow off it is forcing air down the vent pipe anybody else have this problem.
There is chance it is just a coincidence that there is a black tank problem that started at the same time as the A/C was installed.

mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:23 AM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
You don't say if you did the AC install or if a shop did it. There should be no direct air flow between the outside and inside of the AC, but I would make sure everything looks correct. Then I would make sure that someone didn't sit on the sewer vent cap or damage it in some way. Also make sure the bathroom ceiling vent is closed when traveling (will create quite a vaccuum and suck in smells and dust and dirt. A few times if the wind was in the right direction we would get some sewer smell coming back down from that vent if open when parked.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I did the install and it is seal correctly and no vent caps were broken. Have had the unit since new and this is the first time we have had this problem. Some A/C units let in a small percentage of fresh outside air in their design, not sure about ths one.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Had same problem when I installed the second AC. If your washer/dryer connections are in the front of the trailer check the seal on the drain. I do not have a washer/dryer but the stuff they used to seal the drain was cracked, and when I had the new AC on it evidently sucked the air/smell from the drain. Had a heck of a time tracking it down. I put a plastic bag and taped it tight to the drain and now no more smell.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Also check your toilet. Some time when flushing the bowl toilet paper will not be totally flushed down the opening and when the ball closes the T-paper will
get stuck between the ball and the pipe preventing a total seal which causes the smell to come up from the black water tank.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote