Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2011, 04:28 AM   #61
ileyld
Established Member

M.O.C. #9071
My 2009 3585 SA front cap started pealing in less that one year.
The rest are tearing or pealing in less than two years. I will not spend a dime replacing them.

ileyld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #62
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
Model: '08 3465SA
Problem: peeling graphics curbside
Age at occurance: New and again @ 2 yrs
Home location (state/prov): South Carolina
Yearly usage: 45-55 days in the Southeast so far
When not used: uncovered at home
Washed: Use the RV wash & Wax once or twice a year

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #63
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grampachet

2008 3000RK
Purchased new Feb 2008
Front started peeling within two years.
Burlington Graphics were very polite and sent new graphics with NO delays but I have never installed them.
All other graphics are OK.
Stored in Lynden, WA facing South, uncovered, always in WA, Oregon and BC with one trip to Montana.
When purchased new it was treated with Duratain and has never been waxed.
Washed only with water and soft car-wash brush 4 times a year.
10,500 towed miles, used about 50 days a year.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #64
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Front Graphics are 1/2 gone ,, in less than 2 years .., Why don't we see the trucking Co's emblems falling off .. Maybe its burlington..I know if Schnieder Transp had this problem it would be changed , Now ,not next year.,. Its about time Keystone steps up to the plate and switches co;s ,,In 2 years Montane will be all naked units I think...sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #65
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
2007 3000RK
Started peeling within two years. Frontcap replaced last year by dealer and they are peeling agian. The entire unit is now peeling.
Storage has been under cover and wide open.
I started taking them off the front cap last month. The rest should be removed this summer. I noticed one a couple weeks ago at the rv park by my house with no graphics on the nose cap.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:50 AM   #66
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Previous Model: 2004 Mountaineer TT 325FKBS
Problem: Front graphics shrunk, curled and peeeled
Age at occurance: 2 yrs
Home location (state/prov): WA
Yearly usage: 30-45 days WA, OR, CA.
When not used: Washed 3-4 times per year. Waxed 2 times per year including graphics.

Current Model: 2010 3455SA
Problem: none
Age at occurance: N/A
Home location (state/prov): WA
Yearly usage: 60-90 days mostly WA, OR, CA with an annual trip to AZ.
When not used: Stored uncovered at house on RV pad.
Washed: Washed 3-4 times per year. Waxed 2 times per year including graphics (so far so good).

Old 04-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #67
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
Model: 2007 2955
Problem: Front and right side started to curl 2008 bad by 2009, front replaced 2010,no charge for graphic,$50 labor

Age at occurrence 2008

Home location:Coeur d Alene,Idaho

Yearly usage: 60 days ,Idaho,Wash,Oregon,Calif,Nev,Montana,Utah,Canada,

When not in use: Outside 365 days

Washed: once in spring and detailed,once in fall and as needed

I have other rigs that have graphics for 15yrs with no problems.I was told by installers that the graphics on the Montana are the CHEAPEST $$ can buy!!!,If the material was thicker there would be no problem.

David in beautiful Coeur d Alene,Idaho
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #68
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
2008 3400 front graphic went bad in 2 years was sent new ones. I put them on but wouldn't do it again. now 3yrs 10 mos. old notice dr. side peeling like front and also large cracks. The pass. side only has large cracksThey is MONTANA on both sides rear and they have large cracks. We are on the road about 6 mos.or 9000 mi. parked outside front facing south dr. side east. Havn't called Burlinson yet?
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #69
azleflyer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9140
We bought our 2004 3750rl used in 2007. The graphics (except the wording "Montana") were already peeling. Now the graphics are at least 50% or more gone. We use ours approx. 6 mos. out of the year in the southern region. When not in use it is in covered storage. We wash it twice a year. I will be glad when the graphics are completely gone, at least it will look better. In my opinion, buying new graphics would be useless as i feel the problem would continue anyway after seeing how many folks out there with newer models have the same problem.
azleflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #70
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Purchased 2002 no problem still look good!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #71
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481
Purchased in March 2006. Front cap started peeling 2009 and is now half gone. Will take off the front cap graphics and have it painted. Drivers side is starting to peel. We use it 6 months out of a year and it is stored outside. Once all of the decals peel I will have it painted.
rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #72
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
MODEL: 2007 3075
PROBLEM: None
HOME BASE: Costal Maine
STORAGE: Outside in shade
MAINTENANCE: Wash after every trip.

My local sign guy says it is the quality of the vinal used that is the biggest problem.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #73
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
2011 295RKD and (knock on wood) none of our have started peeling, we have the Gel-Coat on ours.

I should also state that we haven't taken it out on our maiden voyage yet......

Parts Ed
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #74
rmtodd

M.O.C. #8754
We purchased 3400RL new in 2008. The graphics started peeling on the front cap around 18mos to 2 yrs. after purchase. I contacted Burlington Graphics. They told me it was warrented for one year. Now the bedroom and door side are peeling, also.

My question to everyone is, has anyone persued litigation against Keystone and/or Burlington Graphics in regards to peeling graphics?

My wife and I have owned several RVs but this is the first one to have peeling graphics.

Any comments appreciated. Robert & Joan Todd
rmtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #75
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
UPDATE: Thanks for the comment Rich. I finally got a hold of Kristen via e-mail at Burlington Graphics and she sent me a link to purchase the graphics for $1250.00 plus shipping and installation. I had contacted them a year ago to see about replacing the ones that were falling off then, at that time they were willing to replace them for free. I placed the unit back in storage and forgot about the graphics all together. Maybe part of me was telling me to wait to see what would happen to the others, after a little more time. Time frame being April of 2010 when I made first contact. Now it is right at one year later and all of the graphics except maybe five stripes have started the falling off in various forms of progression from completely off to just starting.

Keystone has never returned contact to me as of this time about the problem by e-mail or by phone. I did talk to Kristen and she forwarded my call to Josh at BG, after talking to him he had me send in my photos and pursued the issue for me. Around 2 weeks ago I received a very kind but disappointing e-mail from Josh stating that they would not cover the problem. I could tell by the tone of his e-mail and time it took he felt very bad about the decision by upper management.

I do have a back up plan and will put it into place before I start my vacation in August. I am going to strip everything off the rig and have some custom stripes painted on like upper class rigs on the market today. I will NOT have anything that advertises the company Keystone or Montana put back on the rig. I figure that it will generate enough interest that people will ask what kind of rig it is and I will then tell them the short story of "DO NOT" purchase a Montana or Keystone product.

I have owned Keystone products in the past. One of them (early 1990's) I had to rewire the whole rig because they had all the polarities reversed. I have also owned other brands over the years and had very few problems to include Forest River. With that being said we still love the floor plan of our Monty and plan on keeping it for a while longer because we are not using it that much anymore. Maybe if Keystone didn't have such a corperate attitude when it comes to customers they would put out a better product.

I do know this and mark my words, as the word of mouth gets around, Keystone will loose in the long run. I have noticed with the economy that way it is we have had a number of RV dealerships close in our area and guess what.... Most of them had the lineup of Keystone products. We have been looking at going with a SOB toy hauler over the last year and most of the dealers that we have talked with got rid of their Keystone product because of quality problems over that last 10 years. If that doesn't say something for Keystone products then I am not sure what does.

As I transform our Monty to a new look I will post some photos for everyone to see. Also for those that wondered if the gel coat siding might be the problem. Our rig was special ordered with gel coat, dual-pain windows and almost everything that was availible to order in those days. We pretty much tried to upgrade our Montana to be like those 100,000 rigs to no avail and have learned an expensive lesson from that idea because it doesn't mean crap on a trade in or resale.

To those that have anymore questions feel free to e-mail me and again I would like to thank Josh at Burlington Graphics for trying so hard to do the right thing. Litigation with these guys will only cost us more than to hit them where it hurts the most. Put them out of business and those same managers will just find another RV name to destroy after all it is the American way now isn't it....

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #76
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
You hit the nail on the head there Tom.

But just keep one Keystone name on the rig and add to it: FOR A POOR RV EXPERIENCE BUY A KEYSTONE.

If I have anymore problems with mine that is what I will put on the back window. And I agree with you. There were many people who approached me over the winter and asked what I thought of our Montana. And I said do you really want to know and they said yes, we are thinking of buying one. I said its a piece of garbage and then explained why. I am positive that there were a number of sales lost because of this. I plan on pulling this rig around for another 5 to 6 years and my response will always be the same.
I gave Keystone flawless cash that never failed, the cash was so good and reliable that it didn't require a warranty to go with it. I would only like the product that I purchased to show the same value.

Oh well, Keystone you made your bed now you just have to sleep in it.

Oh, and my graphics on my 2010 3665RE are still ok.

Gary

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Gina 06

UPDATE: Thanks for the comment Rich. I finally got a hold of Kristen via e-mail at Burlington Graphics and she sent me a link to purchase the graphics for $1250.00 plus shipping and installation. I had contacted them a year ago to see about replacing the ones that were falling off then, at that time they were willing to replace them for free. I placed the unit back in storage and forgot about the graphics all together. Maybe part of me was telling me to wait to see what would happen to the others, after a little more time. Time frame being April of 2010 when I made first contact. Now it is right at one year later and all of the graphics except maybe five stripes have started the falling off in various forms of progression from completely off to just starting.

Keystone has never returned contact to me as of this time about the problem by e-mail or by phone. I did talk to Kristen and she forwarded my call to Josh at BG, after talking to him he had me send in my photos and pursued the issue for me. Around 2 weeks ago I received a very kind but disappointing e-mail from Josh stating that they would not cover the problem. I could tell by the tone of his e-mail and time it took he felt very bad about the decision by upper management.

I do have a back up plan and will put it into place before I start my vacation in August. I am going to strip everything off the rig and have some custom stripes painted on like upper class rigs on the market today. I will NOT have anything that advertises the company Keystone or Montana put back on the rig. I figure that it will generate enough interest that people will ask what kind of rig it is and I will then tell them the short story of "DO NOT" purchase a Montana or Keystone product.

I have owned Keystone products in the past. One of them (early 1990's) I had to rewire the whole rig because they had all the polarities reversed. I have also owned other brands over the years and had very few problems to include Forest River. With that being said we still love the floor plan of our Monty and plan on keeping it for a while longer because we are not using it that much anymore. Maybe if Keystone didn't have such a corperate attitude when it comes to customers they would put out a better product.

I do know this and mark my words, as the word of mouth gets around, Keystone will loose in the long run. I have noticed with the economy that way it is we have had a number of RV dealerships close in our area and guess what.... Most of them had the lineup of Keystone products. We have been looking at going with a SOB toy hauler over the last year and most of the dealers that we have talked with got rid of their Keystone product because of quality problems over that last 10 years. If that doesn't say something for Keystone products then I am not sure what does.

As I transform our Monty to a new look I will post some photos for everyone to see. Also for those that wondered if the gel coat siding might be the problem. Our rig was special ordered with gel coat, dual-pain windows and almost everything that was availible to order in those days. We pretty much tried to upgrade our Montana to be like those 100,000 rigs to no avail and have learned an expensive lesson from that idea because it doesn't mean crap on a trade in or resale.

To those that have anymore questions feel free to e-mail me and again I would like to thank Josh at Burlington Graphics for trying so hard to do the right thing. Litigation with these guys will only cost us more than to hit them where it hurts the most. Put them out of business and those same managers will just find another RV name to destroy after all it is the American way now isn't it....

GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:30 AM   #77
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
We purchased a 2006 2955RL just three weeks ago. There is some slight edge-peeling on left side. Graphics are bright and tight. Unit was obviously stored out of the sun by previous owner. Front cap is also bright, but has some spots where good old love bugs perished and stayed for a while before being washed away. With my experiences with vinyl graphics on boats, commercial vehicles and cars, I was surprised that the decals were in such good shape for the age. It almost sounds as though 2006 models(or older) have had the fewest problems.
When did keystone start gel-coating the Montana? I would bet that the adhesives bond better to non-gel-coated surfaces.

Take a look at this quick google search result for 'rv graphics peeling'.
This is a problem with all non-painted graphics applications. Again, I was surprised that the vinyl on my 2006 looked as good as they do!
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #78
JLeach
Established Member

M.O.C. #8145
Model: 2008 305RLT Mountaineer
Problem: Peeling decals on the front end cap, started approx. 4 months ago
Home base: Wimberley, TX (4-6 months in winter)
Usage: Approx. 6-8 months/year in spring, summer, fall (southwest (AZ, UT, CA))
Storage: Outside uncovered
Maintenance: Washed 2-3 times a year, waxed once a year (not decals)

Contacted our dealer, he referred us to Keystone Customer Service. Will contact them Monday. I started to peel the decals off but having difficulty removing the adhesive.
JLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #79
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Model: '07 3400RL
Problem: (1) nose graphics (2) nose, bedroom slide, door side under bedroom
Age at occurance: (1) 22 months (2) 4 yrs 8 mos
Home location (state/prov): varies
Yearly usage: fulltime
When not used: n/a
Washed: occasionally with soft brush and blue coral wash/water
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #80
northeastdiesel
Established Member

M.O.C. #9611
02 2880RL, I bought in 2008. Most of the decals are pealing. Replaced the front cap in 2010. This spring I have noticed the front cap is all ready starting to peal. The camper is stored outside all year round and I wash it after every use and wax it once a year, but not over the decals. As my camper has some age on it I knew these things would happen. I will not reorder new graphics again unless they assure me that this will not happen again. I too think its the material they use in the vinyl that is causing it. I would love to keep my camper as beautiful as I can because I am very proud to own a Montana and advertise there product, but it saddens me that it will fall appart and i can't do anything about it! Its the only negative thing I can say about the trailer. Maybe someone from the company will read this and step up and do the right thing!
northeastdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote