Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2009, 02:46 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Red propane regulator...Update

We had a long discussion here not to long ago about that Red regulator. Ours gave a annoying hummm when drawing from that side. After talks with Ed Lee,sr a Engineer at Marshal controls it was determined that the OEM regulator was not the regulator the system was designed for and suggested we get a new and proper one.... We did and after the customary procrastination period installed it yesterday..

Marshall, on the phone and in the manual said not to use that Thread tape on Gas or propane lines. The instruction sheet that came with the regulator said..do not use thread tape on Gas or Propane lines. I had some thread compound on board..it said..do not use on Gas or propane lines. OK..so I got the message.. went to Home Depot and got some stuff that said.... For use on gas and propane lines...

When I removed the OEM regulatior can you guess what Keystone used on the gas line threads.. Did you guess "tape" that is correct..

Now the syetem never leaked and it was checked as recently as September of this year at the service center

Cost cutting???? or is there tape that you can use on Gas and Propane lines??

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:57 AM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Rich what regulator or type did you replace the OEM system with? Its always amazing what we learn about our 5th wheels. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:34 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
They do make a special tape for gas lines.
gas pipe tape
It was originally white, but is now color coded yellow to distinguish it from the basic type.
There are also some other specialty types of tape, also color coded.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:09 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Bill OEM tape was white and appeared to be of the same type used on water lines. The red regulator is the one on the doorside or on the "far side" it is 18psi OEM and should be 30psi according to Marshall controls. The correct regulator is part # C6121#2049 30psi From Marshall controls. Cost @40.00 or less..
Old 12-30-2009, 04:16 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Gas pipe tape is higher density material to reduce possibility of leaks. But it would not surprise me if they used the basic tape for everything even though they should know better.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:32 AM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I use the yellow tape for all my stuff, I dont believe it is harmful to use for water unles I hear differant. it's cost is not the issue for me its less I have to carry in the tool box.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #7
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
I have talked to Ed Lee also. Got my C6121 here: http://rvwholesalers.com/
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:00 AM   #8
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Reviving an old thread.

We've had a propane smell by the curbside tank. I bought a replacement pigtail, only to find that it (and all others I've seen offered) had a 1/4" inverted male flare, while the red 18 PSI regulator accepted a 3/8" inverted male flare. While I've not found the proper pigtail anywhere, I did learn a lot searching the forum. I'm looking for the C 6121 30 PSI regulator now (a search at RV Wholesalers returned no results). In looking, I found this interesting installation instruction from Marshall for the remote side regulator: http://www.shleggitt.com/edlees/5thwheel.html If I'm reading it correctly, pipe thread sealant is applied to the male thread on the regulator, but no sealant is applied to the flare threads on the pigtail.
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:46 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Bill - You can get one from Makarios RV. That is where I got mine. Seem to be a good company to do business with.
I took the brass fittings out of the new regulator and it matched up to the existing fittings.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Gas line tape looks like teflon tape but has a yellow cover on it instead of the blue that teflon tape has. I have used it on several projects and have had no issues.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #11
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Pretty much industry wide, pipe tape or pipe dope is used on taper pipe threads as it is necessary for the seal. Putting tape or dope on any flair fitting threads is a waste of effort as the flair surface is what does the sealing ... the threads on the collar just make the connection tight.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Installed the regulator part # C6121#2049 30psi From Marshall controls on our Montana over a year ago. Replaced the incorrect 18PSI version thst had been made in France or Italy. Had to replace the switchover side regulator as well. In a conversation with Ed Lee from Marshall, Montana was storing the black cross over pipe horizontally in the factory after the ends had been threaded. The threading oil leachedinto the interior of the pipe and when installed in our Montana's, the oil destroyed the two regulators over time. Have not had any problems with either replacement regulator after cleaning the cross over pipe really well and installing the two new regulators. Used a liquid pipe sealer when installing the new regulators. No leaks since.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 04:23 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Except for that humming issue we never had a regulator issue. The main regulator is still the OEM one after nearly 6 years. After a conversation with E lee of Marshall a long time ago to we decided to bring the system up to Marshall specs and did order the new red regulator
Old 05-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #14
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Desert RVer

Installed the regulator part # C6121#2049 30psi From Marshall controls on our Montana over a year ago. Replaced the incorrect 18PSI version thst had been made in France or Italy. Had to replace the switchover side regulator as well. In a conversation with Ed Lee from Marshall, Montana was storing the black cross over pipe horizontally in the factory after the ends had been threaded. The threading oil leachedinto the interior of the pipe and when installed in our Montana's, the oil destroyed the two regulators over time. Have not had any problems with either replacement regulator after cleaning the cross over pipe really well and installing the two new regulators. Used a liquid pipe sealer when installing the new regulators. No leaks since.
having issues with regulator is this red one set up for dual use and any advice on installation
Pugtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hey Pugtracker. I saw your other post that had a picture of the changeover regulator.

I have already done this replacement and this is the regulator on the opposite side of the auto switchover regulator.

Now I think I am having a problem with the left side of the auto switchover regulator. Maybe it was caused by the problem someone else described about the thread oil on the pipes, but I'll just replace the auto regulator and hope the problem goes away.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #16
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Before you change a regulator, look at the hose that goes from the switchover regulator to the door side regulator. I had this problem and it wound up being a stuck check valve in the hose leading from the switchover regulator to the door side. The repairman just replaced the hose with one that had no check valve and all is good.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #17
dpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11617
the special hose saves the valve inrush valve from goinccg off all the time and also acts as a safety due to the fact that some times when the change over occurs there will be back leakeage and if not connected to the tank it could conceivably embarrasimg... just something to keep in mind...
I had trouble with the original chicom valves that come in the chicom tanks... I replaced them with usa made tanks and red reg and auto reg... no problem since...
good luck,
dpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
bougt a new auto change valve as thats all i have, I dontbhave the other pressure valve will install soon and advise all.
Pugtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #19
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
I ordered the Marshall from Makarios as well and they sent me a made in Mexico Precimex and not the Marshall pictured on their website.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #20
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Just an observation, Marshall Ind. says Keystone is using the wrong regulator, should be 30psi. Has anybody barked at Keystone about this? If in fact it's wrong shouldn't Keystone be the one eating the cost. especially if the unit is still under warranty. My propane hums also,c so if it's because of the wrong regulator......... I'll let you all know how I make out.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote