Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
Old Swede
Established Member

M.O.C. #8407
SHORTBED MAXIMUM TURNING ANGLE

JUST PURCHASED A USED 3075RL, AND FIRST EXPERIENCE WITH POSTING.
WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM TURNING ANGLE BETWEEN MY 2005 F-250 SHORTBED TRUCK AND THE TRAILER. THANK YOU

Old Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hmmm, not sure of the angle...but been doing Ok so far, sometimes I have to reset to get it turned without cab contact.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Don,

I try to keep it at a quarter inch before I hit the cab!

Really - welcome to the Forum!

Hard question to answer because every hitch is different over the axle, get mounted differently by the installer, and the angle limit changes dramatically on uneven incline. An example, the same turning angle you are used to on level street may leave you wearing your back window when pulling out of a gas station with a steep descent to the gutter before you hit the street.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
The reason I have the LB is that I don't have to worry about the turning radius. But to answer your question I would think that no more than 60 degrees without releasing the slider.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
At least for now, find an empty parking lot so you can do some turns "slowly". I think you will find that most normal driving conditions will be fine. But I would recommend a slider of your choice for campgrounds and tight areas. Unless you go with a super glide thats takes all the worry out of tight turns.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
If you have a pull rit hitch,, slider,,, you will get about 110 degrees as i was stuck in a parking lot and had to work it out by the 1/4 " at a time as i had it wraper ,,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:00 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Can we assume that you do not have a slider type hitch of any kind?? and what year is the camper?? It makes a difference..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:53 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I would not pull any Montana with a short bed truck that did not have a slider hitch.

Now having said that I will amend it to say I would not pull any Montana with a short bed truck that did not have a PULLRITE SUPERGLIDE hitch. With my SuperGlide I don't even think about the sliding issue, ever.

I agree with sailer about the 110°. On a flat surface I can get at least 110°. Change the evenness of the surface and everything will change but in most instances I will get 85° to 90°.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
As Rich mentioned, the year model can make a difference. I have an '07 3075RL and the lower front corners are contoured inward (concave) and advertised as "30% greater turn radius". I assume that means 30% greater than it was before they started contouring them. But I am not sure what year they started contouring the lower front corners like that.
If you look at the picture in Brad's post and the picture in Charlie's post, you can see the difference.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:06 AM   #10
Old Swede
Established Member

M.O.C. #8407
I now understand to be more specific with the information I supply.My rig is a 2007 montana 3075 RL. It has a modified front cap that appears to be fashioned to accomidate the corner of the truck cab. There is a concave area on the extreme corners that appears to allow more movement with the truck cab. It is true that I do not have a slider hitch, and I have only pulled the rig for a short distance to bring it home and have not had to make very hard turns. I suppose time will tell after a few parking adventures !
So thank you for your comments and hang with me I will learn how to use this system !
Old Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Don,

While out on your trial runs keep this in mind -

My turning radius on the truck is barely tight enough to cause the trailer to get into a tight enough angle to hit, but it will. However, backup up, I can reach that angle very quick - it's surprising.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #12
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
My last truck was a SB & the only time I hit the cab was when I forgot to use the slide. Once!
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #13
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ok...on reflection, I have, sort of by accident, installed CB Whips in the front box rail next to my cab. Reason I mention this is they are my warning that there is a pending crash...if not for them I would probably spend extra $$$ for one of those fancy slider hitches.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:01 PM   #14
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
First priority is keeping the trailer out of the cab. Second priority is avoiding damage to axles or suspension. I have heard of folks breaking an axle or suspension hanger by turning too tight. I try to avoid anything over about 70 degrees. Watching the tires go different angles bugs me.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:40 PM   #15
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Have to agree with Sailer and Glenn about the Pullrite. We haven't had to go past 90 degrees but I have had to do that at least twice getting out of tight spots. Best money I ever spent!!
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #16
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
After you hit the cab the 1st time you have now pd for your pull-rit hitch but you don't have it yet , next after you get the truck out of the shop go and get a new hitch and never worry ,,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:43 AM   #17
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I made two great decisions, the first to buy a Montana and the second to spend the money on the Pull Rite Slider hitch. I would do it again in a heart beat.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:03 AM   #18
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Not really wanting to appear as a smart A--, the maximum angle is when the trailer hits the truck. Each unit is different so don't do it.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #19
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Here is another option to the Pull-Rite, (not saying the Pull-Rite bad, juts another option). The 5th Airborne Sidewinder (with or w/out the air bag). It replaces the standard pin set, and moves the pivot point back about 19". I have been able to back up and turn a full 90 degrees with out having to think about it. I have one and like it.
I am not affiliated with nor receive any compensation, just a happy user.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #20
TMerrell
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7988
Don, IMHO, the way to really know the answer to your question is to go to an open parking lot and measure it (or at least get a visual on where it comes close). I did the same thing in 2002 to see how tight I could turn and practice backing. I was surprised at how tight I could I could turn going forward on a flat surface without worrying about it. I was also not very good at backing back then, and I still have to work on it today (actually, I'm being kind to myself, I still am not very good at backing, but I'm working on it!). I do have a short bed truck and no slider. Our first Monty did not have the "concave" front like yours. Our current one does.

My experience: I was concerned about it more with the '02 than I am with the '08. But, I am still aware of the concern with the '08 and watch it. As others have said, it is alot easier to swap paint between the TV and the Monty while backing and/or on an incline than when going forward on a flat surface. I factor that in to my watchfulness. And, as others have said, if you don't want to be concerned about it and can afford it, go for one of the recommended hitches. Swapping paint once will probably pay for the hitch.

I guess it is kind of like most things with RV'ing...to each his own...practice makes perfect...go slow and be careful...

Tim

TMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote