Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
jscox24

M.O.C. #10475
Leaking slider

I have a mountaineer 2010 324 RLQ. I have found slightly wet floor in the left corner of the dining room slideout. I have no other leaks in any of the sliders. I have checked the top of the slide, checked the seals sound the window and cannot see any open places or where it would be leaking. The water leaks with the slide in and out. Has anyone else had the s problem or have any suggestions? There is nothing other signs of leaking on the walls - just on the corner of slide and carpet. I would appreciate any help! Thanks to all!! Jeanne

jscox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We had water leaks two different times, once in the large curbside slider in the front and just recently in the bedroom slide in the front. Both times it was the seal between the window frame and the fiberglass exterior wall. There was a gap so thin you would have trouble getting a sheet of paper into it. I trimmed the sealant that had oozed out over time and applied a thin bead of black silicone caulking around the frame, and both times if stopped the leak.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Check the caulking around the windows, around the corners of the slide, and on the roof of the slide. The roof and/or the windows would be my guess from the age of your unit. The tape and caulk on the roof of the slide has a tendency to dry out and the tape starts to peel causing cracks for water to access the slide and run down the walls to the floor. The caulking around the windows also has a tendency to dry out, shrink and flake out also. Check these and I'll bet you will find some gaps in the caulking!

Update-- You might also check the "weep holes" that are in the window guides to let water out if it rains and runs down into the guides. IF they are plugged they could also cause water to come in through the windows!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:12 AM   #4
jscox24

M.O.C. #10475
Thank you Bob & Becky and Rondo - going to my camper this week and will check out all you both suggested and let you know!! Thanks for replying!!
Jeanne
jscox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:43 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
If you have water leaking in with the slide in and you know that it was dry before, then the outside seal is the only way for water to migrate in. Assume trailer is level or all bets are off as the old saying goes. Of course...those windows on the outside slide wall can leak water in with the slide closed. I would suspect the one closest to the area, but water can migrate. John