Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #1
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Charging batteries with solar question

Just got two 6v Crown 260 batteries on sale at BatteryTown today to replace the so called "deep cycle" 12v Interstate that our trailer came with.
We haven't really done any dry camping yet, but want to have that option in the future (if we ever find time to go camping )
We may get a gen. in the future, but for now I just want to be able to have lights at least and was thinking about a very basic solar set up mainly to just keep the batteries charged.
Also for when the trailer is sitting in storage for extended periods, but I don't want the batteries to be dead when it's time to go somewhere.
Been doing some reading on different systems, but wondered if anybody had first hand experience with a system like this that they could recommend and share info. Thanks!

Old 10-17-2015, 05:12 AM   #2
poloace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13649
We changed out our 2 12v batteries for 2 6v. We use a 80 Watt portable solor panel, and dry camped for over 3 weeks. Never needed the generator. Luckily we had good sunny weather, only a few rainy days. We have a Yamaha 2000 portable generator when needed. We dry camp a lot, and this setup works well for us.
poloace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #3
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kingdaddy

Just got two 6v Crown 260 batteries on sale at BatteryTown today to replace the so called "deep cycle" 12v Interstate that our trailer came with.
We haven't really done any dry camping yet, but want to have that option in the future (if we ever find time to go camping )
We may get a gen. in the future, but for now I just want to be able to have lights at least and was thinking about a very basic solar set up mainly to just keep the batteries charged.
Also for when the trailer is sitting in storage for extended periods, but I don't want the batteries to be dead when it's time to go somewhere.
Been doing some reading on different systems, but wondered if anybody had first hand experience with a system like this that they could recommend and share info. Thanks!
Wow! Great timing! I was seriously about ask the same question. Let me add to the question though by asking how the system can be made easily expandable at some point. I am assuming I better get a solar controller to begin with that can handle any future current, right? Then, I would add more panels, and a big inverter for my future needs. I am assuming this can be done pretty easily?
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Don't know what your Crown batteries capacity is, so what I did may be more than you need. When installing my solar setup, I committed early to four Trojan T-105's and did the math on their size. Wasn't interested in spending days on end dry camping, just overnight and occasionally two. I settled on 100w for each, a total of 400 watts from four different panels. We can run the batteries down to 70% by our Triminic and they'll charge back up completely over one sunny day of driving.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Read and Learn
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:45 PM   #6
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Here is another good source of info....

http://www.jackdanmayer.com/rv_electrical_and_solar.htm

Old 10-17-2015, 05:47 PM   #7
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Great info...thanks everyone. That one site by AM Solar was actually one I was looking for! Saw it once a while ago and couldn't remember the name.
The Crown batteries I have are 260/215 (20 hr/5 hr amp/hr) rating, so are obviously far superior to what I had.
I will be using a cover for my trailer when in storage so I'm scratching my head figuring out how to make a solar panel system work to keep the batteries charged up and ready to go.
The research continues...