Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
bemcewen

M.O.C. #13045
pin box

there are six screws in the vinal sheeting in the pin box area, under overhang,they don't seem to be holding anything, fugal sags,, what's up ???

bemcewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Need to know what rig you have. If you are talking about the screws in the white plastic sheet under the bedroom ... they hold it in place. Depending on the temperature ... that white sheeting bows a bit between them.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
bemcewen

M.O.C. #13045
rig is a 2955RL,, screws do not screw in to any thing but the vinal
Old 07-10-2013, 03:32 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
There are 4 or so steel channels running lengthwise of your fiver creating a framework connecting the pinbox on back to the vertical framework. You can feel them when you push up on the plastic sheeting. It may be a combination of screws that have broken off as well as one of the skilled craftsman that assembled your unit missed some of the channels. You can also reach up above your front storage compartment to get an idea of what runs forward to the pinbox area. There's insulation batting up there as well, so just feel around. I'd venture to suggest temporarily marking the exact location of the channels and installing new self tapping fastners to secure the plactic sheeting ... or take it back to your seller for repair.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:03 AM   #5
bemcewen

M.O.C. #13045
none of the screws have broken off,, i will look for the chanels,, thanks bill
Old 07-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
Funny, well not really, but I too have a 2955RL and I had, and still have, the same problem. I sqauwked to the dealer, still under wty. and they added some wood, with Keystones approval, and got most of them secured to something.
There is one though that is just along for the ride. If I ever get one of those flexible wand cameras I'll poke it up there to see if there is something nearby that will take a screw.

I did, even after the dealer did their thing, have to secure two or three but it just required a longer screw.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #7
bemcewen

M.O.C. #13045
yes i doubled the length of the screws,, it works