Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
CasaDelSol2

M.O.C. #8872
Triple towing

Joanie and I are considering going full time in our 5th wheel. I would like to tow my 16.5 ft. aluminum boat behind the RV. Does anyone have information on triple towing? Laws, restrictions, etc. The total length would not exceed 60 ft. I live in FLA with FLA tags.

CasaDelSol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Every state is different.

Here is a link to a state by state towing chart.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Here another site.
Towing World
Look at the info for triple towing. Like the site above, Florida says no.
The term triple towing vs double towing is debated frequently on the forums. And while towing two trailers would seem more accurately called double towing, in the RV world it is called triple towing, a tow vehicle and two trailers.
Here is just one of many articles about it.
Just a few days ago I saw a Montana passing thru town with a 20+' pontoon "party" barge behind it. Don't know how long it was, but had to be beyond most legal limits.
Some have stated they pulled thru states that don't allow it, but never got stopped. But some others said they did get stopped and were not allowed to proceed without dropping the second trailer on the side of the road.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
It appears the two tables are in conflict. For instance, my state, Michigan. On Greg's table it states no doubles. On Bill's it states ok with a FW and under 65 feet. Could Greg's be referencing HD trucks. I believe gasoline doubles were outlawed in Michigan years ago. As for towing double, my brother towed a 26' FW with a 24' Sportcraft boat behind that for many years until he got a larger FW. He had never been stopped, but never left Michigan with that. Out of state may be an entirely different matter. It only takes one rogue cop like Ozz found to ruin one's day.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I would not put complete trust in either site. The one I listed has a disclaimer at the bottom of each page to check with each state to verify the laws since they are subject to change at any time.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
This question gets asked about every 6 months or so. I suggest you use the search function to find out the pluses and minuses (which includes the fact Montana will void your warranty).
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:09 AM   #7
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I choose to tow a swivel wheel trailer hauling our ATV. I see the tow laws and know the Keystone stance. If stopped in a state that doesn't allow double/triple towing, I'll deal with it. Personal choice is alive and well in this retired Veteran. I will stay under the total length state requirement.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #8
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
While licensing and registration is reciprocal between the states, towing doubles and length are up to the state you are currently in. While the 2 different guilds provided are handy, laws do change and are not always reflected on those sites. You will have to check with each state you plan to travel thru on if they allow doubles and maximum length. Each state even handles the swivel wheel trailer differently.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote