Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
kountry traveler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9428
GRAY TANK REPLACEMENT

There has been much discussion about leak repairs on the ABS holding tanks. I have a "04" Model #2980 with a cracked gray tank in the usual area by the oulet pipe of the tank. We were at the MOC Rally last fall in Goshen and I received a replacement tank from Keystone.
I checked with Camping World in Little Rock, Ar. and they gave me a estimate of approx. $900 labor to replace it. If I try to replace it myself, I'm curious on how hard it is to split the gray tank from the "Y" where it and the black tank connect to the 3" drain pipe. There are 4 bolts that hold connection to the "Y" & not sure if this bolted connection is fastened with glue also or if can be disconnected without to much effort. The other issue is the manner in which way the tank is mounted. The rear angle iron that the tank flange lays on is welded to the frame and the front one is bolted on and removable. The rear tank flange is sandwiched between the basement floor & the rear welded angle iron. Is it possible to slide the tank forward enough to clear the rear support or does one have to raise the floor enough to move it? Now that I have confused everyone with this problem has anyone done this and how much effort involved. I know that I have to cut the inlet pipe and possibly the vent pipe. If I am unable to replace the tank I may just try to repair the tank again using the ABS repair kit from Amazon.

FOOTNOTE: We took the factory tour when at the Rally last fall and when we came to the area were the basement floor & holding tanks were installed, I asked our tour guide if they were using supports on their mounting procedure and was told they did not need anymore support than the flanges they sat in. When I mentioned the problem about cracked and leaky tanks his reply was he had never heard there was a problem. I received this same answer at the RV show in Little Rock this year also. I asked the rep. from Keystone what rock he had been living under. When asked if he followed the Montana Forum, his reply was he did not have time to do this.
Rather than spend that kind of money for this repair at Campimg World I plan to torture myself and either replace or repair.
Would appreciate any information you can give me.
Thanks,
kountry traveler

kountry traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Sorry to hear you have joined the leaking gray tank club. Can't help with the tank replacement but I did repair my gray tank some two years ago. I used a product from Amazon called Plasti-Mend ABS repair kit. Got to say first time I used the kit I used the suppled nylon sceen and the leak returned. So the next try I used metal sceen wire with the same amount of glue and the fix has held for two years and running. There was enough glue to repair my crack with the two coats. I also drilled a hole in both ends of the crack to stop it from running.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
$900.00!!!! if it takes a month,I would do it myself also. Thats just crazy.
Remember, they only hear what they WANT to hear,no more,no less
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thats about right on the cost..taking the tank out and putting it back in is easy putting your holes in the ABS tank and have them line up properly with the holes through the floor is the challange, attaching the drane pipes is a one time try when the glue is applied.
I have a compaany that is going to replace my ABS with the black plastic tank that you see on regular RV's there about 1/4 inch thick and will never brake on me again.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
You might cut the pipe and inset a Fernco, flexible rubber connector. We did this when we had to replace a valve on the grey tank. Not only does it make it easier to get the pipes to line up, but relieves some stress.

We also bought some C-channel aluminum and added support for the tanks.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote