Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Generator transfer kit

When we come back to Fl, in the fall, I will be bringing my generator with us. I would like to have a transfer kit installed as the electric panel is on the outside wall of the garage adjacent to a small side door.

I will plan on it being installed by a licensed electrician. My question is, is there any kit better than another? Reliance seems to be the main one available. I have also seen them with a cord and a box to plug the cord into from the generator.

I would like to have the plug in box attached to the outside of the wall so I would not have to worry about running the cord in the door though that would not be that big a problem. There is an area adjacent to the door that can store the generator when not in use and easily move it to the outside when running. Eventually I would like to have the generator "housed" to protect it from the elements but insure that it is vented and fire/theft proof.

What have others done?

Thanks

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Code required me to have a separate panel installed with a switch that killed the house breakers in the main panel and transferred power to the secondary panel which contained breakers for the house circuits that I wanted to run during any power blackout.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We have similar to want you describe. A weather proof box on the outside wall with a 50 amp rcpt inside. Cable from the box to the transfer panel inside. There is a sub-feed from the main panel to the transfer panel and breakers in the transfer panel for the lines we want to keep active during a power outage. The transfer panel has an interlock set-up where either the sub-feed from the main panel is powering the circuits or the Generator. Thus no way to combine/mix power company and generator.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Dick,
You can have an automatic or manual transfer switch installed, your choice. Either one will isolate the generator circuits from house power. Your inlet box can be placed anywhere you wish. I've installed hundreds over the years and it's a fairly easy install. It needs to be done by a licensed electrician to meet code and be safe.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The last thing you want to do is electrocute the utility worker who's trying to get your power restored. That's why I paid a licensed electrician to install mine.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

We have similar to want you describe. A weather proof box on the outside wall with a 50 amp rcpt inside. Cable from the box to the transfer panel inside. There is a sub-feed from the main panel to the transfer panel and breakers in the transfer panel for the lines we want to keep active during a power outage. The transfer panel has an interlock set-up where either the sub-feed from the main panel is powering the circuits or the Generator. Thus no way to combine/mix power company and generator.
Exactly what's needed to be safe and meet the electrical code!
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
My brother in law uses the back feed process by plugging his generator into the dryer outlet. He than turns off the main and only opens the breakers he needs. Not my cup of tea, that's why I want it done right.

Reliance has a kit for about $250 that seems to include everything I need for an electrician to do the proper install. I will check with hin to see if his company can match or beat the price.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
What your brother-in-law is doing is illegal and extremely dangerous. If anything ever goes wrong, his insurance company will not pay for him burning down his own house and will drop him like a hot rock not to mention possibly killing a lineman and loosing everything in a lawsuit after he gets out of jail for stupidity and manslaughter.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Jim, I mentioned that to him and he's "old school" which means sometimes he doesn't think, at least with his brain. What's even worse is that the older he gets, the more he forgets. I will not go that route and would prefer being "safe not sorry".
Old 03-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I have wanted to do this for a couple of years now, but procrastination is a vile affliction to overcome. I do it the old fashioned way. Kill myself lugging the generators up the stairs to the side porch where they are cranked up with the exhaust pointing downwind and I run extension cords into the house. We have been at this house for three years and I have had to do this three times, so the question becomes one of do I spend the money or do I keep killing my back. I would guess that a couple more episodes as I get older will probably make the choice for me.

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
When the generator is in use in Illinois it sits behind the attached garage under the upper bedroom deck. Extension cords are run to the freezer and frig. Once we get it to Fl it is too convenient to not use the transfer switch kit. If the kit cost is $250 and the labor is another $250 I consider myself to be $ ahead with the piece of mind that I will be legal,safe and will not hurt anyone.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
The electrician was out yesterday to complete the installation of 2 outlets. While here I asked about transfer kits, of which he has installed quite a few. He told me about one that is available now which allows random selection of the breakers, in the existing panel,that I want to use. It is a device installed directly in the panel which when turned on automatically shuts off the main. At that point I would be able to select the breakers inside the panel that I want to stay on and turn off those that I don't need.

The generator connection would be positioned on the outside allowing me to hook up the generator w/o bringing it inside the garage. I would still need to build a shelter for the generator. It sounds exactly what I'm looking for. The cost installed is about $600 which may vary by the time we have it done in the fall.