Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Apollo 1/2 time oven failure again

Our Apollo 1/2 time oven has failed for the second time. The first one lasted about 3 months and was replaced under warranty. Now we are out of warranty and it has failed again. Model AAC24-BI B. My wife really likes this particular model oven so would like to repair it or replace it with the same or something with similar capability that will fit in the same space.

This particular failure is total. Nothing lights up or works any more. Have checked that there is power to the the power cord and there is. I have found an exploded Parts Diagram on Sears Web site for this model and it appears there is an internal fuse but cannot figure out how to disassemble the unit enough to get to the fuse to verify if is blown. I am assuming the fuse is blown and that there is something that has failed(shorted out) which has caused the fuse to blow. And since the fuse alone is over $50 from Sears I suspect the best action is to order a whole replacement unit from MidWest sales. Does anyone know if they are still selling refurbished units for $125 or $100? Or is it better to just purchase a new one?

Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
DesertRVer,

The fuse for these things requires you to remove the top cover. These fuses can be obtained from most hardware stores as Microwave Appliance Fuses. I found them at Home Depot for about $2 in a pack containing two. These are 20amp fuses. The fuse is located in the top right hand corner of the appliance after you remove the cover.

Not sure if Midwest Sales still has these units or not. They get them as factory returns that may have a blemish or some small dents on the inside sheet metal. But they are warranted and in good working order. You might want to reach out to them if you feel you need to purchase a new one. But I would try the fuse first and save some bucks. New, these thing cost over $300 and that is if you can find them.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Tom
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:14 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I'll get you a slide-show on the removal and a take-apart also. I called the folks that sell them, they have no rebuilt units now for sale. this motor work, but you can see how it comes apart for the fuse.
Good luck!
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue1...OvenFanRepairs
Edit:
Here is when I repaired the broken door latch, they used to be broken all the time on older models, maybe they started putting better latches in...I hope.
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...oxy%20repairs/
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Give a call to Midwest Sales and Service. The lady who answers will probably give you the cell number of their guy who does repairs. He is very helpful and will guide you thru some troubleshooting.
After speaking with him, I had no luck with self repair. I bought a new one from them as I did not have time to send mine back for repair before we planned to leave on vacation. They did not have any of the refurbished units available at the time. (note: refurbished are blemished models, not used/repaired units)
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EagleRunner

DesertRVer,

The fuse for these things requires you to remove the top cover. These fuses can be obtained from most hardware stores as Microwave Appliance Fuses. I found them at Home Depot for about $2 in a pack containing two. These are 20amp fuses. The fuse is located in the top right hand corner of the appliance after you remove the cover.

Not sure if Midwest Sales still has these units or not. They get them as factory returns that may have a blemish or some small dents on the inside sheet metal. But they are warranted and in good working order. You might want to reach out to them if you feel you need to purchase a new one. But I would try the fuse first and save some bucks. New, these thing cost over $300 and that is if you can find them.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Tom
I appreciate the tips but I may be a little dense and am unable to figure out how to get the top cover off. Is it right to assume that by "top right corner" you mean when looking at the top with the front of the unit facing you then the fuse will be under the top right corner towards the back? If I remember right doesn't the power cord enter the unit on the back side right below that? (Don't have the unit in front of me right now). Maybe you can offer a tip on how to get the top cover off? Does it snap off after the fan and vent screws are out?

I really appreciate that there is an inexpensive source for the fuse. But hasn't something else failed to cause the fuse to blow?
Old 01-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

Give a call to Midwest Sales and Service. The lady who answers will probably give you the cell number of their guy who does repairs. He is very helpful and will guide you thru some troubleshooting.
After speaking with him, I had no luck with self repair. I bought a new one from them as I did not have time to send mine back for repair before we planned to leave on vacation. They did not have any of the refurbished units available at the time. (note: refurbished are blemished models, not used/repaired units)
Thanks for the tips. I hope I get a chance to talk to the service tech because I sure don't know how to disassemble the unit to do some voltage testing.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:08 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As for whether the refurbished ones are ok, we got one a few years ago and it's still working. They're not really refurbished. They're new units that were returned by RV mfrs for blemishes and they didn't want to install them. Ours had a couple of small dents in the back interior wall. And a scratch on the door glass.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
I've been able to figure out how to get to the fuse. Yes, it is blown. Found a local hardware store that carries 20 AMP ceramic fuses. Inserted new fuse and now have lights and action on the oven. Haven't tried both cooking methods yet since a wire broke to the squirel cage fan transformer. Its the very fine transformer wire that is soldered to the removable contact on the transformer frame. @#$%^&. When removing the two wires to the contacts on the transformer instead of the connector sliding off the contact, the whole contact came out breaking the very fine lead from the tranformer coil. I'm currently in the process of trying to repair this broken wire. If successful I think I'll have a working 1/2 time Apollo oven again. Hopefully!!!
Old 01-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Wala. New fuse works. Was able to get the tiny transformer wire soldered to the connector. All back together and everything including the fan works again. Haven't cooked any actual food yet but it sure appears to be working again. Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #10
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
My door latch broke tonight. I never had any problems with it till now I will try to take it out tomorrow and see if I can fix it. First I have got to get the door open!!! "Ozz where are you when I need you Son" LOL.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
My Brotha, just follow my U-do it links. (Above..)
Been there...twice...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I will take it out and see what I need and then call midwest to see if they have the parts. Thanks Ozz I saw the pics buts the latch ones or coming in smaller than your normal pics I am doing something wrong.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Desert RVer,

Good show. Sorry I was laid up for a couple of days after I posted my response to you or I would have answered your questions on how to remove the top cover.

Glad you got it back in operation! Now you are an expert on this!

Tom
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #14
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Apollo 1/2 time Oven still working after simple fuse replacement. Wonders never cease!
Old 02-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Has anyone had just the convection part no longer working? If so were you able to get it fixed?
Thanks, Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote