Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2008, 01:05 AM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Slide Movig Out While Driving

Ran into a Montana owner that was complaining that his 2004 Montana had the slide move out on him while driving. After we got set up, they were already inside and they left early the next morning. Anyone else had that problem? My guess is that there is a hydraulic problem somewhere.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:34 AM   #2
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
We had a similar problem and I actually fixed two others that had the problem on 2004 Keystone models......the hydraulic slide itself is secured to the frame.. the nuts came loose(mine was within 1/2 turn of actually coming apart) once the nuts were tightenned it was ok and the slide fit properly and did not move by itself again...the slide has adjustments on the outside end of the shaft, that allowed the slide to move out plus the loss of integrity on the inside part of the shaft meant a travel of about 4 inches out when they were driving down the road..
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:43 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Before adjusting the nuts on the threaded part of the hydraulic ram, you might look at the procedure on the Lippert web site. You can damage the slide room by adjusting those nuts. They set the stopping points for the in and out slide room positions.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:07 AM   #4
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I should have mentioned that in my post, never adjust those nuts unless you absolutely know exactly what you are doing and why... thanks....
Old 08-20-2008, 05:56 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We haven't had any problems like that, yet but it gives me an idea, I am going out right now and using my bottle of bright yellow paint. I will coat the threads on either side of the adjustment nuts, that way I will know if they move in either direction, thus avoiding the problem before it starts... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:21 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We had that problem back in 2004. Turned out to be a leaky check valve in the hydraulic pump. Replaced the pump under extended warranty. No problems since.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:23 AM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I wish there was a way to lock the slides in the closed position for traveling. I have heard so many stories about them coming open in travel, but not necessarily on Montana’s.

I would also like to see a physical manual crank as a back up. What if you loose your hydraulics while out somewhere? As far as I know the hydraulic system would need to be repaired before you could operate the slides even with the back up crank that came with our units. If I understand the system correctly then the back up crank we have is only good as long as the hydraulic system is working. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill-N-Donna

I wish there was a way to lock the slides in the closed position for traveling. I have heard so many stories about them coming open in travel, but not necessarily on Montana’s.

I would also like to see a physical manual crank as a back up. What if you loose your hydraulics while out somewhere? As far as I know the hydraulic system would need to be repaired before you could operate the slides even with the back up crank that came with our units. If I understand the system correctly then the back up crank we have is only good as long as the hydraulic system is working. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
I'm sure you can find some after market struts to lock the slide in with. Our travel trailer had those. But....you dang sure wouldn't want to forget to remove them, or they might remove the fascia around the slide room. Don't know if they would overload the pump breaker or not before doing damage. I noticed when adjusting the new cylinder I installed, it has enough force to flex the side of the RV in.

On the hydraulics, doesn't seem to me like the pump actually fails very often. I will just have to wait for that situation and handle it when it arises.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:56 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
It happens. lost the selonoid and the pump on the slides and they are inoperable until the repairs are made!! The hand-crank or cordless drill backup method still requires that the pump be functional!! Thank goodness for extended warranties, ours covered everything. It was not an unwarranted failure however, I believe the root cause was an errant flip flop that jammed up the bottom of the bedroom slide when extending. Fortunately the slides came back in, but would not go back out. That at least let us pull the rig to the dealer.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:53 AM   #10
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Just what would a person do if the slides got stuck while at a campground and they couldn't get them back in; even with the aid of the hand crank?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:24 AM   #11
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I once saw about 6 guys pushing the slides in on a diesel pusher MH...something was wrong with his hydraulics.....thats about the only thing I can think to get them in.....
Old 08-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I would think if you disconnect the hydraulic lines at the pump, and get enough manpower, you could slide them in. Might want to have someone hold a bucket under the hoses though, or you will end up with oil all over everything. Then is when you will need that strut to keep them from sliding back out. I suppose a guy could put some vice grips on the square tubing between the gears on the underside of the slide. At least it couldn't slide out very far. Might be able to block the wheels on the bedroom slide. Hopefully this never happens.