Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
Montana_2948

M.O.C. #2948
Montana as fulltimer?

Greetings All,

I am currently shopping for a new 5th wheel and the wife and I looked at the Montanas today and were very impressed. We currently own a 26 foot Mobile Scout and are preparing for fulltiming. I am very interested to hear from you all what you think about the quality of the Montana as a fulltime trailer? Also, what about the warranty, some manufactuers void a warranty if you use it for fulltime?

Thanks in advance for any information and comments,

Dave

Montana_2948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Many of the folks on here are fulltimers. Lorraine and I have been fulltiming in our Montana since October 2003. Other than an out of line shower door we have yet to have our first problem. If and when we decide to upgrade to will definitely be another Montana.
Montana has no problems with fulltiming in their rigs. In fact them seem to encourage it.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 02:43 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've been fulltiming in our Montana since March, 2003. The Montana folks, including the VP over the Montana Division, are aware we are fulltiming, as is our dealer. It has never been brought up as a problem. We had some work done at the Montana factory service center this past October and they know we're fulltiming. The manual for our '03 model does say it is not intended as a fulltiming rig but nowhere does it say anything about voiding the warranty. From our experience it's a non-issue. But you are smart to ask the question.

As for purchasing a Montana, some do have some problems, as you'll read in this forum. But if you read the rest of the forum you'll also find Keystone stands behind the product. Montana is the number one seller in North America by a large margin and has been for four years in a row. That in itself says a lot.

Good luck, whether you go with Montana or not. And welcome aboard. I understand the Mobile Scout is a very good rig, too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 04:49 PM   #4
Montana_74
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #74
We have been fulltiming since March 03 and have never regretted our choice of Montana as the RV for us. We have had no real problems with it. Our dealer has been very responsive, and like Steves, know that we are fulltimers and have taken care of the small things that were needed under the warranty.

We have been in many of the higher end RVs and feel the Montana quality of workmanship, compares to or surpasses that of rigs costing much more.

Hopefully you wil find the Montana model that suits your needs. Welcome to the forum and travel safe...
Montana_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:43 PM   #5
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We've been full timing since July 03. We echo the comments by Steve and others re "full timer" support from Keystone. We have had a few not-really-terrible problems with the rig, but are MORE THAN satisfied with Keystone support. FT folks have the added situation of having to get problems resolved while "on the road". In our case, I have to say that Keystone support has been very good....even to the point of Keystone granting a month's "extension" of our one year warranty so we could get to a dealer along the travel route and based on our schedule, not just the Keystone "one year" calender. In addition, they assisted in finding and contacting a dealer who could do the work. We have had work done by three different dealers in the 2 years, none of which were the dealer we purchased from. Our max "down time" has been 3 days. It doesn't get much better than that.

In addition to the Keystone one year warranty, the individual component manufacturers have additional warranty times on their items, e.g., Lippet warrants the slides etc for additional years (3? 5?) For example. I've recently had Lippert "step up to the plate" for a new hyd motor and its installation. That sort of support really engenders product loyalty. Just my specific case, others may have experienced different problems and results....

Hope that helps in the decision process.

Best regards,

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:58 AM   #6
Montana_632
Established Member

M.O.C. #632
We have been fulltiming since June 2003 with our 3670 Big Sky. During that time we had the unit in for one day to take care of a couple of minor issues. Our dealer has no problem doing warranty work and they are aware we are fulltimers. We are very happy we chose a Montana and I am sure you will love it. Happy travels.
Montana_632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:31 AM   #7
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
we have been full time since 2 jan 04 and love it we have had little problems as with any, and I hav been able to fix them, we have added shelves where thought the were needed some plexaglass to the windows(we didnt get thurmo windows)also cant say to much about the towing.. we mover from kansas to colorado springs about 900 mi and hav not made any other trips but plan to this summer.. and so far I would but another my wife fas been very happy..abd you know if mom aint happy no one is happy.. best of luck in your travels..
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:53 AM   #8
Montana_3048

M.O.C. #3048
My wife Cathy & I take delivery this Friday on a 2005 Montana 3650RK which we hope we shall be able to full time in. We are currently snowbirding in Jekyll Island, GA in our 1999 Jayco Designer XL 2980RK which is fine for this type of camping. However, we saw the 3650 at a dealer in Brunswick, GA & my wife said "I cud live fulltime in this".

So, we pick it up Friday as I said & hopefully, within a year, we'll be fulltiming.
Montana_3048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:18 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome BSH38 to the MOC Family.

The 3650RK is a great unit and I know it will serve well.

If you don't mind I do have one suggestion before finalizing that sale. Here is a link to a PDI (PreDelivery Inspection) Checklist. Make copies of the list and take them with you at time of delivery. Before the final signing of paperwork take the checklist and give your new rig a thorough inspection. Better to find any problems while still at the dealer rather than when you are all set up back in your campsite.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:58 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations and welcome aboard, me and Cathy! The 3650RK is gorgeous! I remember it well from it's introduction last year. Beautiful unit.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:16 AM   #11
Montana_3048

M.O.C. #3048
Thanx Glenn &Lorraine - I'll print the checklist out & bring it with me.
Montana_3048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 04:53 AM   #12
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
We've only been full timing since September 04, but we are on ur second Montana and would not have another brand. I did 3 years of research and attending shows when possible and it came down to getting one in Alaska, so I figure we REALLY lucked out. On the second one 'cause we found a floor plan we liked better than the first. Best of luck in the new trailer!
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 05:00 PM   #13
Montana_3032
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3032
Being a bit new to the forum...I have a couple questions that when I did as search on came up empty...

1. Monatana claimes they have heated tanks...what does that really mean....????? when the heater is on...it heats the tanks...or is there aux heating pads???

2. How has anyone have a combo washer/dryer...and if so..how much wieght did it add....did you go Ventless or did you have to add vent holes in the RV??

thanks in advance

Montana_3032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:42 AM   #14
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
WhiteTrash, The heated tanks means simply that they have a heat duct that blows along the tanks when the heat is on. Yes we have a Splendid washer/Dyer combo and have a vented unit they dry quicker with vented than non vented. It weighed about lbs or so that that heavy. My wife insisted on one so that's why we have it and she loves it. When camping she can keep up with kids dirty clothes instead of waiting till we get home.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:13 AM   #15
JimnPat
Established Member

M.O.C. #1997
We LOVE our 3650RK ..and enjoy the oohs and aahs of friends that come into see our "kitchen"
We have been in it since April 2004.
JimnPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 05:06 AM   #16
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Ann and I still ooh and aah when we look around our unit when we have settled in for the night.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 05:36 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I do the same. My favorite view is from the step between upstairs and downstairs, viewing towards the back of the rig. Even after living in it for almost two years, I still like it. We done good, we made the right choice for us.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:57 AM   #18
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Whitetrash
We have the combo washer/dryer. After much research we were ready to go vented or vent less - I truly believe both work. Camping World had a boxed vented in stock. Vent less was floor model with no directions. So we bought the vented. We will eventually vent with a vent in the side. We are reluctant to cut hole in our beautiful Monty and need some help. Right now the vent hose goes to the basement and we open a basement door when the machine is running.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote