Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2004, 02:58 AM   #1
Montana_2180
Established Member

M.O.C. #2180
Slide Awnings & Snow

OK, so I'm ready to take on the winter in my new 5er...and I've read alot of the threads and the great info and experience you all have shared.

I haven't seen anywhere how to deal with snow and the awning covers for the sliders and have been wondering how one deals with that...is it even a problem?

I'm concerned that during and after a significant or wet snow storm, those covers will pull away from their mounts on the trailer and that would not be good...or are they strong enough to support that kind of weight?

I read the "Feezing..." thread and there was a lot of great info in there...looks like I have some prep work to do.

Also, anybody recommend any preferred "shed" attachment for the hitch overhang part of the trailer to store stuff in during inclement weather or is that not a viable option?

I'm new to this so thanks for bearing with me!

Chip

Montana_2180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 03:07 AM   #2
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Sounds like your gonna take on winter big time... out of curiosity...where are you???
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 05:16 AM   #3
Montana_89
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #89
I also winter camp. I pull the slides IN after each weekend so no massive amounts of snow accumulate. This also keeps the hydralic seals lubricated. I also found out that if I turn on the heat and, after a while, THEN extend the slides, they go out alot easier in zero degree weather. Also, "open" your door when you open the slides... the suction is alot easier on the hydralic pump! I hope this helps.

Montana_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 05:34 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
When we have snow, rain or ICE on the slide toppers we retract the slides VERY slowly, stopping and allowing the accumulated moisture in whatever form to slide off, fall off, run off the toppers. This is not so important with the smaller slide in the bedroom, but the larger slides for front room and kitchen really can get a lot of H2O up there!

Also note, one should NOT stand under or near the slides when retracting if you suspect there is moisture up there. If you don't stand back you could end up wet (right Al??? or hit in the head with 1.5 inch slabs of ice (thankfully he was NOT standing near by that time!)

I think Art Hill has a great solution in pulling in slides after the weekend!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 12:51 PM   #5
Montana_2180
Established Member

M.O.C. #2180
Thanks, I kind of figured I'd have to retract them...guess that will be one adjustment to living in the trailer I'll have to get used to...among others!

Gruffy, I'm living in Southern Illinois right now, so "feet" of snow aren't really anything to worry about, but the occasional heavy, wet snowstorm does happen and I wanted to be prepared for it.

Now, what to do if it snows while I'm sleeping or at work!
Old 10-13-2004, 04:19 PM   #6
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Besides what everyone else is saying about pulling in the sides to keep them lubricated, here in Michigan the Home Depots, etc. sell a snow shovel for roofs that come on a very long extended and retractable pole. If I were ready for fulltiming, I know my unit would have one. You could periodically from the ground scrap/remove any accumilation of snow easily, ROOF TOO!!!! (or at least from the immediate sides of the roof without having to go on top) Would also help prevent ice build up from the melting snow!!!

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, all this talk, I think I'm gonna go sit in the hot tub for a while!
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 07:14 AM   #7
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
Another thing to do is put a ball between the slide and the awning. Just get it big enough to push the awning up a bit. Might even need two balls, one from each end. This raises the awning enough to get water to run off and should help in getting snow off if yuo use a shovel or brush. Saw this idea on RV Today.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 12:47 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Some folks use the ball method as BigBlue mentioned. We may try that one of these days but so far haven't. We've had up to 8 inches of wet snow on the slide awnings along with a lot of water at other times. It hasn't hurt the awnings at all. With the extra weight on the awnings, they just roll out of the roller a little farther. The sagging doesn't look good but apparently doesn't hurt anything so far. In Colorado we also had sheet ice and that didn't hurt anything either. When ready to leave, the ice just slide off the awnings as the slides retracted. Kinda pretty watching it shatter and listening to it tinkle.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 04:44 PM   #9
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

We've had up to 8 inches of wet snow on the slide awnings along with a lot of water at other times. It hasn't hurt the awnings at all. With the extra weight on the awnings, they just roll out of the roller a little farther. The sagging doesn't look good but apparently doesn't hurt anything so far.
Just a warning so to speak, our dealer told us that the warranty on the slide toppers is void if the material is stretched, which is what Steve is describing. If at all possible those who haven't or are soon going to be camping in snow or heavy rains, our dealer suggested we pull the slides in after a heavy rain to avoid stretching, (to keep the weight off) also would think that the snow shouldn't be allowed to build up either.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 06:50 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Sue. I wasn't aware of the warranty issue. I'm not sure ours stretched, though. It just seems to have more of it roll off the roller, just like pulling out the patio awning. But I can see where the longer slide awnings might stretch in the middle from end to end rather than between roller and coach (if that makes sense). So it could happen. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:05 PM   #11
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Snow!? What is this snow you refer to? I saw another post about Dullly's in snow. Is this something you could run from like a hurricane?

Sounds very cold and bothersome to me. I do hope you can run from it.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 03:25 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don't I wish! Our daughter is, as we speak, moving to the Kansas City area. That means all three of our children are there. Not much chance we can run from there until after Christmas but at least KC doesn't usually get much snow until January. Usually. Not always. I will try again to convince at least one of the kids to more south but so far they have ignored my pleas.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:22 PM   #13
Montana_2180
Established Member

M.O.C. #2180
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BigBlue

Another thing to do is put a ball between the slide and the awning.
THAT is a great idea!!! I think I'll go with that so i don't have to pull the slider's in everytime it starts to snow...but I will retract them when I leave town, like I am now...and after just two days in it...haven't even had the time to get it set up yet!

Oh well...I'll provide a "new owner" update soon...

Thanks for the inputs...

Chip
Old 10-19-2004, 03:54 AM   #14
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
I have seen those long swim noodles used to support the slide topper. They taped three of them together in a pyramid formation and slid them under the topper. I tried making a ridgepole from PVC pipe, but it still allowed water to sit on top of the topper. The ridgepole was 9 feet long and the topper was 14' 6'' long, so that may have been the problem. I'm going to make it longer to see if that helps.
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 04:06 PM   #15
Montana_1892
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1892
hi, two layers of 2 inch poly styrene will support the snow and slide toppers without streching when placed between the slide topper and slide roof. this is an answer if you will be wintering over and like to avoid retracting the slides every few days.
grey ghost
Montana_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 11:03 AM   #16
Montana_2203
Established Member

M.O.C. #2203
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BigBlue

Another thing to do is put a ball between the slide and the awning. Just get it big enough to push the awning up a bit. Might even need two balls, one from each end. This raises the awning enough to get water to run off and should help in getting snow off if yuo use a shovel or brush. Saw this idea on RV Today.
great idea.... but where am I gonna store all those beach balls?....
Montana_2203 is offline   Reply With Quote