Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2004, 04:21 AM   #1
Montana_1736

M.O.C. #1736
email

My wife and I are going to be going full time with in the next couple of months, wanting to know from those "full" timers out there what is the best way to stay connected? Already have a laptop, thinking of getting some "wireless" system, wanting to know what others think would be best? Pastor Dave

Montana_1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 06:29 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations, Pastor Dave! I suspect the 'best' way is satellite with two-way internet but I think that's also the most expensive way.

Most parks have some kind of "central modem" hookup, which is just a phone jack you can use. You need a local phone number or a calling card or 800 number. Our isp has local numbers most everywhere, with a very few exceptions. Some of these parks allow you as much use as you want. Some restrict the time to 5 to 15 minutes or so, just enough for email. Some use their office line for this purpose so really restrict you.

Some parks have 'instant phone' which is a phone jack right at your campsite you can connect to. Instant phone does not require you call the phone company. You just pay the campground for the usage. Read the fine print, ask questions. Once we got bit by fine print that said two cents per minute surcharge. We had our granddaughters with us so that cost us a bit of change. This is rare though.

More and more have wi-fi (wireless) internet. You'll need a wi-fi card for your laptop unless it has that already builtin. Some do. Many of these parks will rent (very cheaply) or loan you a card.

We also have a cable for our cell phone to connect to the laptop for those times we don't have a satisfactory connection any other way. I've only used it a few times so definitely am not an expert and last time I tried I couldn't get it to dial. I think I screwed something up and haven't had time to check it out.

There may be others I've missed that someone else will come along and help with. Good luck and hope to see you on the road one of these days.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 03:07 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
If you only want simple text e-mails, PocketMail is probably the cheapest, you only need a regular phone, although it will also work with many (but not CDMA) cell services.

Other than that there is a host of options for wireless internet connections. Check with the various cell phone providers and see what they can offer. CDMA technology, as used by Sprint, Verizon and Bell Canada (that I am using write this message), work well for me.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:08 PM   #4
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
My parents use Juno and they have local dial-up numbers in many places.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:23 AM   #5
Montana_632
Established Member

M.O.C. #632
We have a sattelite dish for high speed connection. It is a Direcway dish. The equipment and installation only cost $800.00 and the monthly service runs $69.99. The dish is not much harder to set up then a TV dish and we can get access anywhere in the US as long as we have line of site to the southern sky. Speed is comparable to DSL. I hope this helps.
Montana_632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 11:12 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bruce & Diana, just wondering if the 69.95 includes an isp service or if you need to pay an isp separately. Thanks. I'm getting envious of that highspeed connection.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:54 AM   #7
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Another place to look is at the web site I listed below. They give some good information and have several solutions. But their service is priced a little higher than DirectWay.

http://www.groundcontrol.com

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island FL
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 01:52 PM   #8
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Another technology that can be used is a Blackberry from a company called RIM. It can be bought at most cellular stores and uses the cell network to transmit email. A cell phone is incorporated into the unit as well.

I have been using one at work for several months now and it has been great. Watch out though as it could get expensive since you really have to pay for both cellular service and data packets for the email. It sure is a handy little device and email is instant when you have it in the always on mode.

I was thinking of "borrowing" mine from work when I retire but I think I will hand it back in for now. I'm going to try my laptop and wi fi for awhile.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 10:06 AM   #9
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
I currently use Bluetooth technology from T-Mobile. They are my cell phone provider. I have Bluetooth technology built into my laptop and airport extreme as well.

I use my cell phone to connect to the internet. All wireless. The cost for the internet service is $19.95 per month (plus tax) with T-Mobile for unlimited access. The internet plan does not use my cell phone minutes.

I can use airport extreme with my laptop any time I'm in an area that supports this service. Like some campgrounds, Starbucks, truck stops, et. When I use airport I do not use my cell phone.

When I'm using Bluetooth at home to connect to the net, I usually plug in my cell phone while on line to keep the battery up for talk time later.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 12:16 PM   #10
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Dear Pastor Dave,

We have used Pocketmail for years with great success in the US, Canada and Mexico, but it only does email. We still have our Pocketmail, but now have Starband satellite internet which runs us $50.00 monthly. The equipment was spendy, but think that you can negotiate the price. With Starband you become a certified installer and that makes your mobile installations legal. Got ours through RV-Sat-Link, 520-907-2712. Installation is a snap.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 04:17 AM   #11
Montana_339

M.O.C. #339
We've been using our cell phone to connect thru our laptop. Works pretty well. See the forum conversation on this topic for more.

Good luck!!
Montana_339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:35 AM   #12
Montana_2505
Established Member

M.O.C. #2505
We use Direcway and with a compass and the satellite finder from Radio Shack (around $40) it takes my hubby about 5-10 minutes to set up.

Have had very good connection from Colorado to North Dakota and 95% reliable. Any outages have been verrrry brief.

We've upgraded (after trying out the service for several months) to a newer modem. Been keepin our original modem as a spare in case the new one didn't work out, but it's doing fine, so would consider selling the original one if anyone's interested.
Montana_2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:42 AM   #13
Montana_2505
Established Member

M.O.C. #2505
Steve, the Direcway cost doesn't include a dialup isp, but you do get email addresses with Direcway which you can access thru webmail when not connected thru Direcway. We kept our original earthlink dialup because my husband travels and when we're not in our RV (like on 1 or 2 day trips) we're in motels using dialup (unless they have wireless). And, too, his earthlink address has been on his business cards for a loooong time. Will be nice when you can "own" your email address and move it from one ISP to another like you can do with cell phone #'s nowadays.
Montana_2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 06:54 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the info. I agree on the email address. I have a Yahoo address just so I'll have one that will be around no matter my isp. I like your idea better.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:56 PM   #15
Montana_1450
Established Member

M.O.C. #1450
Steve - I pay $4.95 for MSN (that includes e-mail service), and in April my DirecWay is supposed to go from $59.95 to $49.95. It is absolutely worth it. We set up the antenna in less than 10 minutes - and we don't even have a satellite finder. Just punch in the GPS coordinates and it tells you where to aim the antenna. Sometimes it would be nice to have the automatic antenna on the roof, but then again we have spent many days under the trees, where we would get no use out of it. We set ours up on a tri-pod, but one of our friends has his antenna mount bolted to the 5th-wheel hitch, so all he has to do is pop on the dish and aim it. It takes us longer to set up the tri-pod than to aim the antenna. I am absolutely sold on it. Internet anywhere!
Montana_1450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 06:47 PM   #16
Montana_2495
Established Member

M.O.C. #2495
Question for Direcway users: I just purchased my satellite and installer mounted it on portable stand that hubby made. My question is - Direcway told me that when we moved to new location, I would have to call installer to set it up again at a cost of $200. Is this not true? Can I do it myself without the FAA swooping in on me? I think $200 a move is rediculous... and if I can do it myself, that would be great!! We will be at current location for next 8 months but will eventually move and would like to know how or what equipment (if any) that I would need to set up. Thanks in advance for any info.
Montana_2495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 09:57 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm interested in the answer to SHP's poste, too. Also, for that $50-60 do you get both satellite TV AND 2-way internet? Does Direcway have an ISP service included in that? If so, why do you use msn instead? I guess msn has numbers all over? Is the 4.95 special with the Direcway or is that available to anyone, including dialup users? I may have to check that out if it would save me a few bucks. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:52 PM   #18
Montana_2495
Established Member

M.O.C. #2495
Steve - with our DirecWay we can have 5 email addresses and it is 2-way internet. We could have gotten Direct TV on one satellite with DirecWay but would have had to pay extra $300 for the adapter. So we chose to have Direct TV bring us a seperate satellite for free. Down side is that we now have 2 satellites but we can use them independently of each other. I have not received my first Direcway bill yet, but I think they told me my monthly charge was $59. I don't know anything about MSN service. Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:11 PM   #19
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I am very interested in this topic. I have DSL here in my home with a wireless router and wireless LAN for four computers. Question for SPARKS and LUCI: what is the setup and equipment cost for mobile DirectWay PC? Second question: Have you moved from one location to another and set up for receiving internet connection? Your previous posts imply some answer to this latter question, but I'd like to hear more specifically. I will be hoping for responses.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 03:33 PM   #20
Montana_2495
Established Member

M.O.C. #2495
Padredw - I have AOL broadband in my stickhouse. it is set up with Linksys wireless router for 4 computers. I also have Linksys wireless print server so no cables are needed for the printer and all computers can print from it. The total cost for my DirecWay service including the purchase of the dish, modem, and installation was $588. I just unplug my router and print server and take it with me in the 5er. I have my printer and internet connections set up in the W/D closet. Works great for me so far. I have not moved from this location yet. DirecWay told me that I absolutely could NOT set up the dish myself. That is why I was asking in my earlier post if I could really do that without getting in trouble. So, I can not answer your last question. Maybe someone will answer it for both of us. Hope this answers at least one of your questions.