Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
Jo_Hine
Established Member

M.O.C. #10609
Hydraulic Fluid

OK ... might sound like a simple question ... 'cause it is! But, can't seem to find the simple answer in the forums.

The hydraulic fluid reservoir in my brand new rig (see signature) seems awfully low when all slides, landing gear, and stabilizers are extended. It probably leaves about an inch of fluid in there. When everything is retacted, it only fills the reservoir to about four or five inches whereas the total capacity up to the bottom of the fill cap is about ten inches. I think that the levels should be higher for safety and efficiant operation and, hopefully, there is not a leak somewhere but I haven't seen any sign of that.

The latest (2010) version of the Keystone manual says that the fluid used is standard automotive type A. Now, that doesn't mean a thing to me especially when I go into an auto store and the tell me that they have type AV, type AM, type AVF ... but no type A. The have transmission fluid, gear fluid, brake fluid, red fluid, clear fluid, white fluid, etc.

My simple question is, what is the fluid that is currently in my rig (it looks clear or white through the translucent reservoir) and what should I top it up with? Once topped up, I can feel more comfortable and will be able to mark/measure the levels to check for leakage.

Paul

Jo_Hine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Mine calls for ATF Type A. Automatic Transmission Fluid Type A is the older designation from the GM days - I used it with my older Chevys and Buicks. As opposed to Type F used in the Fords. If you go to the autoparts store and ask them for some ATF Type A then they will point you to either Mercon or Dextron which are the newer more popular versions of Type A and a suitable replacement.

Make sure you check with someone who sounds like they know what they are talking about. The first person I talked to didn't even look old enough to drive. Fortunately, she pointed me to the know-it-all who had the answer.

The reservoir should only be checked and refilled when the slides are IN. The reservoir should be topped off to within 1/2" of the top (confirm this with your manual). What I did is draw a small fill line with a permanent marker and keep it filled to that mark.

When I bought my rig the reservoir was low. I had to fill it up when I finally found out what it should be. Now that I monitor it, there doesn't seem to be a problem.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Like Art, my fluid is about 1/2 from the top of the reservoir with the slides retracted. I have not added a drop in 4 years, 35,00 miles, and 256 nights. My reservior is no where near 10 inches high but then again I only have two slides. If your slides are operating properly I think I would mark your current fluid level with all slides retracted. Monitor that mark for future loss of fluid. If you are not losing any and the slides keep operating properly I would guess that is the proper level for your unit. Adding any more would just be a waste of fluid and $$$. JMHO Jim
Old 10-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Art is right that would be the proper oil. Also it is good to have some in the reservoir in case you have a small leak it might give you enough to retract or extend before running out. As for efficient operation,as long as the pump has oil in it and it can't suck air while operating,a lot or a little oil left in the reservoir will not change the operation at all.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:38 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
MIMF always said to use the cheapest transmission oil you can get at Wal-Mart. Since we all know he was well-versed on the slide mechanisms and pump, I abide by what he said.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
They now sell a "universal" tranny fluid, it's synthetic, cost 1/3 more but if you're not sure what the LAST guy put in the resevoir then, you're covered.
Jerry
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I put a mark with permanent marker on my resevoir where the fluid level is...one when the slides are in (nearly full) and one with the slides out (several inches down).
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Lippert states that with the slides in the fluid should be 1/2 inch from the top of the resiavor.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Paul and Jo,

You can use automatic transmission fluid. Ideally, it should say Dexron-Dexron III/Mercon- Mercon 5.

As mentioned earlier, you can find a blue bottle at Walmart that will be labeled very close to what I have described.

Have a great day.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jo-Hine, in case you don't know this, MIMF (Dale) used to work at Lippert, the people who manufacture that mechanism. And he is a slide out service rep. He knows what he's talking about. Years ago he told me to use the cheapest ATF I can find and that's what I've been doing. Don't worry about color of the fluid. You can mix them.

Dale, good to see you back here. Email me sometime and tell me what you've been up to. And a hug to your lovely wife, Gail.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:36 AM   #11
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Camping World sells quarts of the fluid made specifically for slide systems. Not that it's any better than transmission fluid, but it's the same color as the fluid that comes in the unit.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MIMF

Paul and Jo,

You can use automatic transmission fluid. Ideally, it should say Dexron-Dexron III/Mercon- Mercon 5.

As mentioned earlier, you can find a blue bottle at Walmart that will be labeled very close to what I have described.

Have a great day.
Good to hear from you Dale. Too long between posts.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote