Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Help from 2006 Ford F-350 owners...

I am 95% close to my quest of turning my 3/4 ton F-250 into an one to F-350 for the purpose of increasing the GVWR from 10,000 lbs to 11,500 lbs.

To remind the membership of my original quest, I had asked for a count of leaf springs in MOC owners' Ford F-250 & F-350s with SRW to determine the 1,500 lb difference in GVWR. Since then, I have learned and confirmed from the membership and the Ford dealers that all I need is an overload spring and some brackets and bolts to upgrade my F-250 rear suspension (with a 3.73 differential) to an F-350 (with a 3.73 diff). This was all that I needed as a minimum. There are other, more expensive things like changing the differential but I don't need that.

The problem is that the dealers are not sure about the detailed parts list because there are so many depending on options and packages and I do not want to purchase any more than I need to accomplish this.

The BIG FAVOR I am asking is that 2006 Ford F-350 SRW with 6.0l engines and 3.73 differentialowners please send me pictures of the right and left and rear/front of the suspension points so I can compare to the parts diagram to finalize the list.

After figuring this out, I plan to post the results in the MOC forum, just in case others would like to do this, complete with parts list, costs and pictures.

Thanks for the help!

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

I am 95% close to my quest of turning my 3/4 ton F-250 into an one to F-350 for the purpose of increasing the GVWR from 10,000 lbs to 11,500 lbs.
It does not make any difference what the GVWR is. The difference you want/need would be an increase in cargo capacity or tow capacity.

And, FWIW, unless you get the manufacturer to change 10 pounds of paperwork, you can do what ever you want to that F250...and you'll still have an F250.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Yes, TLighting. Through my research I discovered by adding the extra leaf spring I will be increasing the GVWR of the TV and hence increasing the CCC and RAWR. In doing this the tow capacity does not change, but I don't need to change that because my RV is way under that.

I am also aware that I could spend lots of dollars to recertify, but since this is only for me as a private party, I don't plan to go through that. I am only trying to increase the capacity to support current pin weight of the Monty and provide some margin.

Thanks for bringing that up.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
Art, I discovered that the only difference between my 2005 Dodge 2500 CTD H/D and the 3500 SRW was 1 leaf in the pack. All other components such as brakes, axle, tires, etc were identical. I took the truck to a local spring shop that my dealer serv. mgr recommended and they added the leaf for $450.00. The paperwork still says 2500, but I know I'm just as safe and stable as if I had a 3500 SRW. I had a choice of the overload spring at $900.00+ or the leaf in the pack. Same capacity, cheaper price and harder ride by adding leaf to the pack. Once the pin wt drops on it's the same ride. Steve Reigle has a similiar post on this subject several months ago. Good luck, Ray
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Thanks Ray, I was involved in similar info from Steve recently and lot of support and information for that topic.

So far, just like you mentioned, I have already confirmed I only need the one leaf spring on both sides to add to my existing spring pack, but there are also a lot of bumpers, brackets and hardware shown by the diagram I received from Ford that I might also need. The tech I worked with wasn't sure and the diagram I got is for many Superduty models, so with a picture of someone's F350 suspension, I can verify what other hardware I need besides the overload springs and the spring seat.

I am potentially looking at less than $250 in parts for BOTH sides of my truck and I want to make sure I get only the correct parts as diagrammed from the Ford Dealer and nothing extra. The dealer told me that whatever I order for this project I cannot return, this means if I buy more parts than I need, then I have wasted money, and I also don't want to be in the middle of putting my suspension together just to find I am missing a part I should have ordered. The picture will confirm this.

I am hoping for exactly what you did when upgrading your 2500 to a 3500 without the price buying a new truck. Was your $450 price for both the springs and the labor? Ford was quoting me $300 to $400 just for the labor.

I will be doing the work myself to save labor costs. Time is plentiful for me and I have the tools.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:40 AM   #6
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
$450.00 was total parts and labor to add the leaf to the pack. I wish I would have spent the $900.00 and had the overload spring installed instead, which only comes into play when the load is added. By just adding the leaf to the pack I have a harder ride when not towing than I had before. I'm mechanically challenged so I had to rely on the spring shop to do it all. Good luck, Ray
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:34 AM   #7
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Art:
I have a SRW 2006 F350 and can send you any pictures you need. Not today as it's raining and Saturday I am away all day but let me understand what you want and give me your email and I'll try and take the pictures you want.

With your air bags, I don't think you need the extra helper spring. When I have the BS hooked up and the airbags inflated my helper springs are not close to being engaged. They may engage when the suspension is working but not, to me, a noticeable amount.

I am wondering if you have the anti-sway bars on your truck? This option I feel is very helpful in towing the rig and removes a lot of the roll that you can feel w/o them. I also have the Rancho RS9000 adjustable shocks and between them and the air bags I can really tune the type of ride and handling I want.

Let me know what you need. From your post I think you want pictures of the helper spring from a front and back view and from underneath the truck looking at the wheels. ???

steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:00 AM   #8
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Art, I realize there has been a lot of discussion on this, but we made a change on a earlier Super Duty F250 By adding one leaf each side to the spring pac. We had this made up at a spring shop and we (son and I ) did all the work. Cost us less than $100 at the time. We installed the leaf immediately under the top leaf which was recommended by the spring company. We could load plywood, sand, run a 3500 lb 10 foot camper with no excessive sway or sink of the truck as was happening before. With the camper on the truck, it still sat level. We still have that truck and have even changed the side emblems to read F350.
Overloads only help when you reach a particular point of main spring sag. With our 10 foot camper the load only touched the rear part of the overload spring and not the front, there was still a 1/2 to 3/4 inch of travel left before contact. This change superseded any air bag install that we did on other trucks in earlier years. A rear stabilizer bar is a must also. Very simple, reasonable, install if you have a partner to help you do the work. Ellis
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
FWIW: You might consider buying a set of 350 springs from a junk yard (a.k.a. 'Recycling Center') and swaping them in place of yours. It might save you some $$$$.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:04 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Ray - You duh MAN! You have done what I am hoping to do. Unfortunately, you have a Dodge and I have a Ford. So your suspension is different than mine will be.

Steve - Thanks for the offer. I shall be in touch for descriptions of what I need!

8e3k0 - That's a great idea what you did, but I am not THAT good at this. I prefer to use stock parts from Ford in case I ever get the inclination to recertify/reemblem. I do have air bags, but just like aftermarket leaf springs their fine print states "do not exceed your vehicle's GVWR", so they might help, but not enough for me. I have a very good idea I have the proper parts list from Ford that guarantee the increase in GVWR, I just need to confirm.

Tom - I tried that first to get pictures but I have not found an F-350 in my local junkyard. If it's not the same year with the same diff, then it won't help for me. My goal is I do not want any parts left over to worry about. I just want to add what I need, no more, no less. In fact, I have seen plenty of F-350s in the area, but unless I can talk to the owner, I don't know if they've added anything, what their GVWR is (it has to match what I am looking for), and if the differential is the same.

Thanks for the support! The MOC rules as usual!
Old 08-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Steves (Steve and Betty) has provided the pictures and final bits of information I needed. Thanks for the support! I will document everything when I eventually complete the project.

The good news is my suspension list is at 100%. The bad news is I need new wheels and tires to support it because my current tires are too small. I will add a new topic for help on the new tires since this is a new topic!
Old 08-04-2009, 08:03 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I never added the extra spring on my 2005 F250 because Ford said I could not buy just the extra leaf, only the complete spring packs. But, they said it is an easy swap, although "easy" is dependent on having the right equipment, I'm sure. I went with the airbags because they were not as expensive. I went with the onboard compressor and incab controller so I could adjust the bags on the fly when we hit some of the rougher pavement that causes chucking. I also could easily inflate and deflate after hitching and unhitching. The airbags provide additional suspension capability which is the same purpose of the extra leaf.

Interestingly, if you buy a new F250, if you order the Camper Package, the one for slidein campers in the bed, you get the same springpack as the F350. We didn't have that package but an acquaintance did. Without the airbags my F250 had about an inch of squat. Not really enough to worry about but I wanted the truck level when towing and the airbags took care of that.

I'm not sure why swapping for the F350 springpack would require larger wheels?? My F250 came from the factory with 17 inch rims and LT265R17 tires. But I can't see why stock 16 inchers wouldn't work just fine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Hey Steve,

I am glad you are keeping up with my efforts. You have been very supportive and curious so I am sure you can appreciate this:

Even the Ford parts dude was surprised when he found out what could be done based on all the research I found using THEIR database. I WAS able to order the separate overload leaf spring for $200 for the pair. The problem was there are numerous spacers, bumpers, brackets, nuts and longer bolts that were needed to support the additional overload spring which is another $300 for both sides! Out the door it's $509 in parts, taxes and delivery for both sides. Dealer prices slightly vary.

If you went with what your Ford contact implied and just ordered the F-350 leaf springs at about $400 PER SIDE you would still have to order the $300 for the spacers, brackets, and hardware to support the larger springs. That's $1,100 in parts and now you have 2 sets of F-250 spring packs left over to try and get rid of. My less expensive method has no EXTRA wasted parts and is $600 cheaper. I am not counting labor, but at the dealer they quoted $400 for both sides. I am saving that too.

To response to your other comments, in 2006 & 2007, the GVWR was increased from the previous years for both F-250 and F-350. In order to support the increase in weight, the F-250 got 17" wheels and the F-350 got 18" wheels. 16" wheels no longer fit around the larger brakes. The matching 17" tires are plentiful for the new F-250 load rating, but there are no 17" tires that meet the F-350 load rating. There are several offering of 18" tires that meet the new F-350 rating. The camper package turns an F-250 into an F-350, but only if 18" wheels are also added. For both F-250 & F-350 the camper package also adds a sway bar for more stability, plus some hardware that the camper would attach to.

The GVWRs for an F-250 and F-350 are 10,000lbs and 11,500lbs respectively. The RAWR for each are 6,100 and 7,000. 17" tires have load rating around 3200 lbs and these would not support 7,000 axle rating. 18" wheels have load rating around 3,640 which do support it.

Knowing what the differences of truck models per year, spring packs, what options provide you (snow plow, camper, etc.), the size of tires and wheels, springs and brackets, how much work you want to do, you can get to what you need.

I have airbags that solved my level ride, but they do not help with being overweight (as they say in the fine print).

Interesting, huh? I hope I've answered your points. Let me know how else I can help. In all honesty, knowing what I know now, I should have purchased an F-350. But the Montana specs were low and I got snagged by them in the real world.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's interesting, Art. When I was looking at the springs in 2005 they told me roughly $1000 for parts. So add the normal price increases and it's the same ballpark.

Airbags won't increase the ratings but it does increase the ability to carry more weight in the bed and keep the truck level. However, it does not do anything for the axles and tires so that has to be considered, as you already know. My 2005 F250 came with 17 inch wheels. I don't recall now whether that was part of the Lariat package or if it was a separate option. I bought the truck off the lot.

As I mentioned, my 2005 F250 came with 17 inch wheels and had GVWR of 10,000 and GCWR of 23,000 (or 23,500, I forgot which).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Yup, Steve, the F250 is 23,000 GCWR and F-350 is 23,500. You have a darn good memory or incredible records.

I see you are signed up for Kerrville in March. DW and I are hoping to go there, and I'll buy us a strong one to share over this! Heck anyone is welcome to join us, how about that?!