Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2005, 03:25 AM   #1
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Remote Control for Landing Gear

I keep coming up with ideas that I'd like to do to our rig. Has anyone seen or done a remote control for the landing gear switch? Our switch is inside the basement storage on the driver side of the coach. I'd like to be able to operate the landing gear while standing next to the hitch at the side of the truck, instead of walking back and forth to get the height right. The remote could be either wireless (preferred) or with a cable. Any of you electronic whizzes out there have any ideas?

Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:26 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Bill,

I am not an electronics whiz, but I know some. I have no doubt that it can be done. I would think there is a three-position, radio controlled switch that would simply replace the existing one. Whether it needed to be a two wire or a three wire device could be discovered by detaching the one you have and checking out how it is wired. If I were looking for such a device, I would first look in an electronics store, maybe even a Radio Shack. If you do this, please post your results.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:44 AM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Are you concerned with hitch height when hooking up? If so, install a pivoting bubble level in the compartment next to the level switch. Set/center the bubble level just before you unhitch, then pull out. When your ready to hitch up just use the switch to level/center the bubble and hook up.
I built a level controler and found out that switch carries ALOT of current, so look for switches that can handle approx 20/30 amps. The circuit I came up with could probably be used with a lower current switch with a few mods.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:11 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The landing gear is fused at 30 amp so I would be sure to have at least a 30 amp switch.

Skip, where can I get a pivoting bubble level. Getting the hitch and the pin box lined up has always been a pain in the you know where.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:17 AM   #5
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Glen; You can make one using the same little ones that usually mounted at the front outside corners of the unit, just drill a hole on its back plate. I think I saw a commercially made one at our dealers.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:47 AM   #6
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
I just installed a ZAXIS remote control for the landing gear and it works great. I like to be able to see the landing gear pads to insure that they both take on weight at the same time when putting the gear down. With the switch in the storage compartment, I had a difficult time being able to do that.
No ties to Westhaver Associates, just a happy customer.
Try this link for the ZAXIS

http://www.westhaverassociates.com/zaxis/
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:44 AM   #7
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
DL N K,
That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. That is very slick. Now I just have to get the love of my life to buy in on it. Hmm, maybe she'd like it as birthday present . . . .
Old 03-30-2005, 04:01 AM   #8
jayers
Established Member

M.O.C. #2876
DL N K

Great info called ZAXIS today and ordered one for our Montana got it at the special price being shipped out tomorrow
jayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:46 AM   #9
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Ok, so I like my toys (why else do I have an RV?) I also ordered the ZAxis controller. When we are out, we move around a lot. Anything to help shorten up the hitching process.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:12 AM   #10
Montana_883
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #883
yup. I gotta have one of these. It will save allot of heated conversations with my navigator.
Montana_883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:11 PM   #11
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Sure can't show this one to Dennis or it will be on his must have list for sure!!! Only kidding sure looks great and would make things easier and I'm all for that. I've saved the web site to show him later.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:44 AM   #12
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
I just got off the telephone and ordered one for our 2980RL. With the new configured vertical hinged doors on the side of our Montana it is very hard to see the hitch as it is being adjusted. I will now be able to back under the 5th wheel and control it's height while hooking up.

If you have electric operated rear stabilizers the ZAXIS can be wired into that system also and with just a flick of a switch can operate either the front landing gear or the rear stabilizers all with the same remote, at no additional charge.

I convinced the boss that it would be a great birthday present for me next week so she told me to order it. I do love that woman.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:45 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Skip, where can I get a pivoting bubble level. Getting the hitch and the pin box lined up has always been a pain in the you know where.
Glenn, mine is similar to what Skip uses. My Dad made me this back in 1996 when we got our first fifthwheel. I've trimmed it a little and moved it from FW to FW. All you really need is an arm, glue or screw on the bubble, drill a hole in the other end and put a thumbscrew through that hole into something threaded to receive it. This one was made wholly of parts from Home Depot or Lowe's, other than the bubble.

I do as Skip does, raise the hitch to where I'm ready to pull the truck out from under, center the bubble and lock it down, pull out the truck, level the rig. When ready to hitch, raise or lower the rig until that bubble is centered, back the truck under. It's at the correct height.

this one's mounted on the basement vertical wall near the dump handles and within sight when working the landing gear switch. Someday I need to do something to pretty this one up.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:30 AM   #14
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
Glenn & Lorraine:

Camping World has something called "Hookup-Memory" that does exactly what you are looking for. Hope this helps.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...15718&src=SRQA

I need to get one for my Monty as well.

Bruce
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:47 AM   #15
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I talked with ZAXIS and found they are working on a control unit devise that will allow you to select what device you want to remotely control. His new unit out later this year will handle up to 10 switches. Each one has to be manually selected at the control panel. He does have a wiring plan for folks that have the power levelers in the rear also. It works with this first unit. Yes this idea was on my mine also and it is on the retired list in five years.
Camp safely.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:28 AM   #16
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
I've found another company that makes a remote control that can be used for the landing gear or slide outs, or whatever. It's www.altaresourcesllc.com . Price is $159.95 so it' competitive with the ZAxis.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:14 AM   #17
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Bill,
Had the Alta controller installed on my new Montana. Thought it was a frivolous gadget, but NEAT! The key fob controller for the gear makes hook up a snap from the TV cab. Back up and adjust the landing gear from the drivers seat and shazam.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:05 PM   #18
Maluka_T

M.O.C. #3550
Bill,

I rigged up a remote on my 2002 2955RL using $80 worth of parts and about two hours labor. Basically I used an economical auto alarm receiver with a circuit breaker and 2 30 amp relays. I also wired in the stock switch so it would still be functional without the receiver.

The receiver I used has 6 functions, so I'm in the process of running wires back to the refrigerator area so the same remote will activate my electric awning. Now I have to find something else to use the other 2 functions (maybe the slides???)

If you want the details, email me.

Maluka T
George & Linda Toussaint
twosaints@earthlink.net
Maluka_T is offline   Reply With Quote