Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Dodge Recall Part 3 - Must Read!

Here's the scoop I got.

When I posted the info on the tie rods in the Dodge recall part 2 thread, It was my understanding from the noticed I received from Dodge that said "The left tie rod ball stud may fracture", I then read a few posts, where people said the dealers were out of stock of the tie rods, so I went on line to the Summit Racing website and found them there. So, after I ordered them I posted my findings on the recall part 2 thread. Ed (IRlpguy) posted that couldn't be the part because it was so cheap.

I looked under my truck and couldn't figure out what was going on as to what part ED was possibly referring to. The next morning I called Ram to see what exactly is the part they are referring to. The person I spoke with said (after I read the recall notice) they are expanding the notice to replace both sides (left & right).

I told her which parts are we talking about. All she had was a broken diagram showing the parts in question. From looking under my truck and describing what I was looking at, we still could not confirm those exact parts.

I then called my dealer and spoke to the parts dept. and he could not give me a clear answer. He did say that if I came down there he could show me the part in question. The next day I drove a 1/2 hour to see him. He took me in the warehouse to show me what they were getting from Ram. They had 2 sets of them. They weren't the parts we were told they were. See the picture.

What Ram is replacing is what I have circled. I ordered the parts above the circled part. The dealer told me that they are aloud only 1 a week.

So now I and some of you, will not be getting the part that was on the recall notice. Nobody makes that circled part but Ram right now.

I'm still going to replace the parts that I ordered because they are a much better part then the factory ones and have a grease fitting.

I'm so sorry that I may have misled you, but nobody at Ram or the dealer could give me any correct answers and was afraid the truck might break while we are towing and wanted to help make sure that on this forum people could get the needed parts before they ran out.

Scott

scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Dodge just started making progress toward being a serious truck contender again and now they are flushing it all down the toilet. What a sad deal this is turning into.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Thanks for the info Scott. I'm going to see the mechanic in the next couple of days. He's a real straight shooter and is frustrated with this recall. At least I'll sound like I know what I'm talking about. Jim
Old 01-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
If you read the recall release and that posted on Government sites there is no indication that Dodge is replacing both left and right outer tie rods. The lack of information the dealers are also able to provide with respect to exactly what is and is not being replaced under warranty is most frustrating.

The Left (driver side) tie rod can be replaced independent of the Right (passenger side) tie rod which includes the long heavy bar. This was what was bothering me about the price. The Left side provides the adjustment for toe in and is held on the large bar/tie rod from the Right side with the clamp shown in the picture. That is the end I assume I am getting and assumed was the one of concern.

I have ordered the Left side and if it is the correct one, I will be using it for the reasons Scott has mentioned, it has a grease nipple.

What I also find most frustrating is the seeming inability for anyone to assess the degree of concern we should have about a possible failure. Many owners have lots of miles on these trucks with no problems with the tie rods, exactly how concerned should we be.

Don't feel bad about the information you provided Scott, I knew what part I was getting and knew full well what I was not getting. I just hope the fellow was correct and it is correct for my truck. The good thing is the cost was not that much.

Looks like I will be starting my drive to Arizona on the 26th minus any warranty work having been done. There is always something to make life interesting and test our mettle.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:13 AM   #5
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

If you read the recall release and that posted on Government sites there is no indication that Dodge is replacing both left and right outer tie rods. I read that as well. The Ram rep, said that they were going to replace the whole part now. I guess they don't send an updated notice or have not gotten to it. The lack of information the dealers are also able to provide with respect to exactly what is and is not being replaced under warranty is most frustrating.

The Left (driver side) tie rod can be replaced independent of the Right (passenger side) tie rod which includes the long heavy bar. This was what was bothering me about the price. The Left side provides the adjustment for toe in and is held on the large bar/tie rod from the Right side with the clamp shown in the picture. That is the end I assume I am getting and assumed was the one of concern.
The parts we have ordered are above the circled part in my picture, it is no way going to be the part that Ram is replacing, according to what I saw at the dealer. I wish it was.
I have ordered the Left side and if it is the correct one, I will be using it for the reasons Scott has mentioned, it has a grease nipple.

What I also find most frustrating is the seeming inability for anyone to assess the degree of concern we should have about a possible failure. Many owners have lots of miles on these trucks with no problems with the tie rods, exactly how concerned should we be.

Don't feel bad about the information you provided Scott, I knew what part I was getting and knew full well what I was not getting. I just hope the fellow was correct and it is correct for my truck. The good thing is the cost was not that much.

Looks like I will be starting my drive to Arizona on the 26th minus any warranty work having been done. There is always something to make life interesting and test our mettle.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:30 AM   #6
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Thanks for everyones understanding!!

I am very angry at this whole thing, and the lack of information from corporate down to the dealer and out to the public. I still love my Ram, but I hope we don't have something break when we are towing. I don't even want to think about what might happen on the road.

The other thing that got my dander up was at my dealer, they had 2 sets of parts sitting on the floor. One would think if they are only getting 1 a week, then that would mean the first one has been sitting there for a week too! Where is the truck that is suppose to be getting that first part? Don't tell me they are that backed up, it only should take an hour or so to do, and they can't fit in a recall for service! My BUTT!!!!! Damn, I was right there. Give me the parts and I'll give them to us!

Scott

Old 01-16-2014, 03:32 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Yes that is the most upsetting part of the whole deal. If the dealer can't get parts the least they could do is get the parts they have on someones truck ASAP.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:13 AM   #8
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Scott this is the part I ordered: http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...ram/model/3500

That should be the outer Left tie rod and part of what Dodge has on the recall.
The ones in your picture not circled are the inner tie rods. They do not show a picture of the outer Right tie rod, which is the long one in the area you have circled.

I won't know what I have received until I get to Yuma.

I wonder what some of these dealers that sell hundreds of these Rams each year are doing, there is one dealer in Alberta that is the largest in Canada for truck sales to the oil industry, I am sure there are some not so happy customers at that dealership.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:36 AM   #9
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Ed I know what your saying, but I think that's not correct. I understand what you are saying. If you look at the other part I posted, (which I ordered too) my understanding is that both would be the inner rods as you call them. IDK anymore. either way, the part I saw at the dealer was the whole circled part they will be replacing. So if you replace that outer rod, that's only half of the part that Ram wants to replace.

My parts will be here tonight. I'm going to a hockey game tonight, so the package should be on my door step when I return. I will see and post my findings tonight after the game.

Scott

Old 01-16-2014, 05:22 AM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Just a quick update that only confirms at this time what the dealers are able to get for parts.
I called the dealer where I bought my truck, they have two locations both are 200 miles away from my home but gave me the best deal. Between their two locations they are allowed to order one assembly every 7 days, he already has a backlog of 30 sets..This means they can do no more than 4 a month.
He confirmed that they had never had a truck come in with a problem and since he drives the same truck he has very little concern. His will be one of the last to be done at their dealership.

His feeling is once Dodge has a large inventory of parts they will drop the one per week requirement. We shall see...

When I ordered the part from a chap by the name of Melvin, he confirmed what I ordered was indeed the left outer tie rod, I specifically asked him to confirm that and asked if he was aware of the Ram recall and he said he was not.

Scott enjoy the hockey game, hope it's not Pheonix and the Canucks...

Old 01-16-2014, 06:41 AM   #11
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I was just notified by my dealer that the parts are in and I'm scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:26 AM   #12
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
My dealer just told me today that they may just be able to put mine on tomorrow. They ordered a thermostat for mine and which is due in tomorrow and said they might have a TRE in too. Said they heard too about the long delays and he agreed it cant be that bad of a problem since they are not worried about any law suits. May just be certain areas of the country that are having a hard time getting the TRE's.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #13
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
UPS just showed up!

The part that came in from Summit Racing is the correct part that I have circled but only the left side or drivers side.

Here's the link to see it. http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...ram/model/3500

The other part I ordered is the right side part that's not circled, that bolts to the circled part.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I think I will just trade my 2012 Ram 3500HD DRW 4x4 Longhorn in for a new 2014 model. That will solve the entire problem!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

I think I will just trade my 2012 Ram 3500HD DRW 4x4 Longhorn in for a new 2014 model. That will solve the entire problem!
Or trade this problem for another undiscovered one. In other words, sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #16
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Calledy dealer today about the recall, to set up an appointment. He said' just bring it in and we will check it out. Won't take us a few seconds.' I am obviously going to have to show them that it states that it WILL be replaced.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:29 AM   #17
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Just had great news from my local Chrysler dealer, they contacted Chrysler explaining I was leaving on a long trip and had the parts expedited out and my recall items will be installed on Monday afternoon. The part I ordered from Summit Racing arrived in Yuma yesterday as well. Wouldn't you know it...LOL

Sounds like there may be more availability coming soon. I hope this is a trend around the country.

I am with TomS, I am very pleased with the 2012, don't want the DEF problem and will likely take this one to the old folks home with me.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #18
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Talked to dealer today. They are doing mine Monday but still have a huge back order problem. Scott's drawing correctly depicts what they are replacing. They will also do a alignment. I'm happy but sorry for all those way down the list. Jim
Old 01-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #19
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Had the assembly installed today. According to the service manager the old assembly allowed the tie-rod ends to be installed out of alignment and that could cause them to bind and break. The new assembly prevents that from happening.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #20
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Here is a picture of the N-49 recall hardware installation. Looks just like Scott's image. This photo was taken of a 3500 SRW 4x4 that had the recall done today. Info from www.cumminsforum.com

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...ps5203ece9.jpg

Here is a second shot

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...ps49d9bb09.jpg

Appears to be a single unit.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote