Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Got the old decals off, now what??

I have removed two decals that were bad. They came off pretty easy with a heat gun. Now what is the best way to prep or clean the fiberglass to hold the new decals? There must be something to clean the fiberglass to make them stick better.

Thanks

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Any automotive surface prep or alcohol will do. Once I remove all the adhesive with any number of adhesive removers ... I usually go with alcohol. If the surface seems chalky, use a mild rubbing compound to polish it up. I don't know which decals you are planning on replacing, but if they are of any size, mix a squirt bottle with a ratio of one teaspoon of dawn dish soap to about a gallon of water. Then use the "hinge method" of installing the decal along with the water mix. Do not try and apply one large decal all at once ... you will learn a new vocabulary! Working from the center out, use a squeegee to work the liquid and air out, then remove the application paper. You'll always have a few air bubbles ... either use a small sharp needle or wait a few days as vinyl breathes and will work most of the smaller bubbles out on its own. Usually the adhesive isn't what fails over time ... it's the vinyl drying out from the edges in. Most vinyl decal manufacturers give a 7 year max life expectancy for their upper end products.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I followed Dieselguys' instructions for installation and they were spot on.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:00 AM   #4
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
What do you mean by the "hinge method" and what exactly are you doing with the soap water mix? Are you saying that once you remove the backing you wet down he decal for application? By the way on our 2005 there were a couple of clouds that failed and we are replacing them.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2013, 03:36 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

When I replaced the front graphics on our current Montana I cut between each piece and put them on one at a time. I had to be careful to keep the space in between them even but that worked good for me. I cleaned the surface with alcohol. I was able to use the ghost line somewhat and that helped some too. When the side graphics needed on I had a body shop do it. I was happy with it both times.
On Edit: When I placed the Montana sticker on I did it all in one piece. I didn't cut between each letter.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:56 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You're basically taping (painters tape) the decal to the fiver in the middle and just peeling the wax paper backing off 1/2 of the decal at a time. Do not remove the application paper off the decal till you have it squeegied in place! Do a google search on "hinge method" for decal applications ... many sites from that search have a good explanation and photos. The water mix is to allow you to more easily get the decal in the right spot (it allows for some movement), otherwise the spot you initially start the application is the spot it stays right or wrong. If it is a larger decal and you follow my advise, you'll not have to chop up the decal and try and get the letters, mountains, or what have you all lined back up. Make sure the surface is clean, plan your task, and enlist a helper assuming this is a larger decal.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #7
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Leaving ours blank....do not want to go thru removal process ever again. Maybe by the time we buy a new rig they will have figured out how to keep the grapics from peeling.
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
A bit of further explanation ... the actual vinyl decal comes sandwiched in-between a wax paper backing and a translucent application paper. The spray bottle is used for wetting the surface the decal goes on ... one could spray the decal as well. Before squeeging out the air / water, the mix allows for a bit of movement to properly locate the decal before the squeege comes into play. Experienced installers may not use the spray ... novices should go with the wetting step unless you have a spare decal. Again, I'm talking of the larger decal applications.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
If you want something really creative, instead of looking everyone else's Montana, take that clean trailer and park it overnight in a downtown area with lots of multi color spray cans. Free art, and unlike decals, it won't peel after a few years!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Cute?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:45 AM   #11
Navigator
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1894

We also have a 'naked' Monte except for the decals on the front cap. The decals on the front cap were replaced a few years ago and are still in fairly good condition. The southern California sun really destroys decals.

The newly bare spots will get a few coats of Red Max Pro so the entire surface will be covered. Monte shines like it was brand new!

Kathy

Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote