Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
hybridhauler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13723
S&B Intake

I have been considering installing a cold air intake system on the Ram. I really like the S&B cold air intake system. The unit has very good reviews. Has anyone added a CAI to their tow vehicle? Any improvements on the performance?

hybridhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I have 6.6 diesel and a Volant Air cleaner on mine and I have noticed NOTHING also you have to be careful with these cold air intakes when putting the air filter oil on them as they tend to clog the Mass air flow sensors, I have also used them on my sports cars and have noticed a little gain when combined with a performance exhaust, when you suck in more air you gotta have a good exhaust to let the extra air FLOW out, IMO they are a waste of money by themselves without a good Exhaust to match up with it and you have a 2011 dodge you should have PLENTY of power but it's your Cash
Old 10-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
hybridhauler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13723
Thanks Jimmy, I ran the Volant CAI on the 1/2 ton ram I had prior to purchasing the 3500. It looked good but not much in the performance department. I do agree that the intake without the exhaust wouldn't make a lot of difference. I have also been looking at several different exhaust systems as well. The 3500 has plenty of power but I have a hard time leaving anything stock.
hybridhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The only way you need a new cold air intake is if you add a lot of horse power. On the 6.4 Ford you don't need one till you are over 700 fly wheel HP and then they don't filter as good as the stock unit. I'm at over 600 HP and don't need one. Better performance, Naw.
Lynwood
I agree there is no such thing as a canoe that is too light or a truck that has too much power.
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I hear ya my man I'm guilty myself of being in the club of never having enough power but after doing SOOOO many mods on Trucks and cars I have learned that when it comes to Diesel trucks the New one's are just Beast's and do not really need much more but if you really want to go nuts save up an get EFI live for 800 bucks and call it good ,Sports cars are a different story 20hp here 10hp there makes a nice difference because they are so light mquote]Originally posted by hybridhauler

Thanks Jimmy, I ran the Volant CAI on the 1/2 ton ram I had prior to purchasing the 3500. It looked good but not much in the performance department. I do agree that the intake without the exhaust wouldn't make a lot of difference. I have also been looking at several different exhaust systems as well. The 3500 has plenty of power but I have a hard time leaving anything stock.
[/quote]