Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Hunting Island SP, SC

Checked the search to see if there was any information about this state park. We have made reservations there for Sept 19 through Oct 2. Have purveyed all the information I can find on it.

Does anyone else have any experience on this campground? Are the critters bad? Fishing good? Where are the laundromats located? (wife wants a combo before we go, but I am holding back some). Ay info you got will be appreciated.

Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Hunting Island is gorgeous. I can't answer your questions about laundromats and such as we lived so close we would just drive over for the day. You are going to be in some beautiful country. Enjoy yourselves! And get that combo, it's worth every dime. . .
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
How in the world did you wind up from south carolina to alaska? I would love to see that part of the country also.

I had some experience with SC as I was at Parris Island in 1980. Neighbor of ours goes to Hunting Island twice a year, and we lucked out with reservations for two weeks. I am more interested in the fishing and backcountry, and wife wants to get the dog on the beach. We just don't care much for the panhandle of florida, too much shopping. However, Navarre FL and Ft Morgan Al were very nice!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The mosquitos will try to carry you off, otherwise, very nice.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
We LOVE Hunting Island! One of our favorite places. There are several nearby eating places so you really don't have to go into town if you don't want to, but I don't know of any laundromats. Might be one in Frogmore. HOWEVER, you should check with the park about the "lights out" policy. If your spot is close to the beach instead of in the back you may not be able to have any lights on because of migrating turtles (not sure when that ends). Don't go way in the back -- the last row, because that is by the swamp and that is where the mosquitoes hang -- as well as the deer and racoons. If you like to shell you have to walk up the beach where the river flows into the ocean.
LuckyNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
P.S. We don't know much about the fishing -- except alot of people fish off the pier (nature center) but mostly its shark infested.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have not stayed there but drove in and walked around on the beach. I don't remember anything about the campground but the beach was awesome. We were there after some hurricanes had nudged that area a bit and there were some trees down. But walking on that beach felt and looked like I was on some Pacific island like you see in the old movies. It was beautiful.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
We spent last New Years at Hunting Island, and w are going back for a week in January. Don't ask why a Florida boy wants to go north in winter!! The park is great, and as others have said, there are some fine eating establishments not too far away. Beufort is a nice little town with some great old homes and a laid back atmosphere. You will love it!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:38 AM   #9
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
Yes, they have some kind of special rate, deal you can take advantage of in January/February.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:34 AM   #10
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
One of the most gorgeous parks in the south for sure! Great beaches, clean park and nice sites.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:04 AM   #11
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Everything we have read and seen, along with a gorgeous website and pictures, show us that the place may be ideal for the type of camping we enjoy. I have not seen any reviews that people were not good about the area. Seems that everyone loves the place.

We are in 188, in loop 6, so should not be backed up to the swamp. No cable, no sewer hookups, but water and electric for $25.00 a night. Got my surf and inshore fishing gear ready.
Lucky Nichol, that is exactly what I needed to hear about the deer and the raccoons. I already have a warning to my DW that if she feeds the first one at the campsite, she'll be run off. However, she is more than welcome to feed them at someone elses campsite! (just kidding)
Walt, that is exactly the idea we were thinking also. If the place is great, it would make a good winter camp in Jan or Feb. It is only 400 miles from Chattanooga, and reminds us of the trips we always took to Tybee Island in Savannah, with our popup.
Steve, it felt like a south pacific island when I was at Parris island in 1980. But if you've ever watched Forrest Gump, the Vietnam scenes and the Shrimp boat scenes were both shot at Johnson's creek and in the marsh area of the island! Other scenes where he was on the bench waiting for the bus, was shot in front of the scottish Rite church in savannah!
Old 07-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #12
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Devildog. I forgot to mention that being one hour out of Savannah was great, too. We had a great day there last winter, and we have a few more things to do there this coming January. We andour camping companions will be on sites 93 and 95; lots of room and some privacy, and away from the cold winds on the beach front. Our problem with the beach front sites is most of them are too small for the Big Sky, or they are too open. Middle loop is the best IMHO.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:08 AM   #13
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Checked on local notes for state park yesterday, and sites 89-200 are now 50 amp. Beach front is still only 30 amp. That was listed on the south carolina parks page, as a spring upgrade this year.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #14
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
It is a great park, shady sites, many on the beach, close to big cities.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote