Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
2-in-the-woods
Established Member

M.O.C. #5739
Hot water heater

I had a rv repairman put in a new board on my water heater and when he was done he told me to leave the electric and propane on at the same time. Has anyone have any comments on this subject. He told me the propane will kick on when you do dishes or take showers and the electric will just keep the water warm. I am not sure about his comments.

2-in-the-woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
I only use the propane for the water heater (WH) when dry camping and have no 30 or 50 amp service. If I have electric, I use it only (no propane) to heat the WH. I know some use the propane for extra hot water when taking showers, but have not heard of any using both all the time. I'm sure if they do they will add their comments.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
I agree, that is the way I have mine set up and it seems to run exactly as he described. For all the time except when we take showers the electric element keeps plenty of hot water. When we all take showers the water in the tank tends to cool off more, and since propane has a faster recovery rate than the electric element we don't tend to run out of hot water like we do when we are running the electric element by itself.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
When we got ours we were told that it was ok to use both heaters. Either one seems to work efficiently by itself but it will heat up the water a lot faster when using both. I think it also helps when you’re hooked up to a sewer connection and a longer shower is desired.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:50 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
If we have electric I use electric. If we have no electric I use propane. Rarely use both at the same time.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:27 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We use electric most all time when hooked to 50 amp. However when we have those days when its hot and or wet when setting up I will use both for twice as fast heating the water, no it doesn't hurt to run both at the same time. Again its choice and it sure is nice to have. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:33 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Propane if electric service is weak or MIA.

Electric if we are NOT paying for electric.

Both if we want to take showers and have lots of hot water.

IF we are paying for electric, here is something we tried last winter that saved us a LOT of propane, and a LOT of $$ on the electric bill.

Don't use the propane cept if you need a lot of really hot water fast. Then turn on till hot and turn off asap. Now, the electric, use it for most of heating the water. The trick is to only heat the water just before you will need it for showers and/or dishes, etc. The water stays HOT in that tank for hours (NOW, this will NOT work real well in Alaska or cooler climes in the winter, this is for Snow Birds and Winter Texans to try).

So, turn on the electric heater, get the water hot, turn off the heater. The water will stay hot for a number of hours, hot enough to wash your hands, for example.

It took a bit of adjusting our thinking caps, but this saved us a LOT of $$. Not all that inconvenient.

Think of it as "green" hot water!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:44 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We only use the propane portion when we want a long shower or are boondocking, other wise it's electric. As I do not have an inside switch I leave it on all the time. Some have installed an on/off switch inside and some use the circuit breaker as a switch. I do not do either. I have not done the math as to which method (gas vs elec) is more cost effective as we usually have free elec where we go. I suppose if I was sitting somewhere for quite a while and paying for electric, I might have to crunch numbers to determine best method. It would seem to me, IMHO, that using both ALL the time is wasteful...But thank God we have choices....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:24 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
C&P from the Suburban site:
[Fast recovery means more hot water and fewer cool water cycles. Six-, 10- and 12-gallon Suburban gas water heaters feature 12,000 BTUH input and a recovery rate of 10.2 gallons per hour - that's the fastest in the industry. Combination gas/electric models also use a 1,440-watt element to recover an additional 6.0 gallons per hour at campsites. For higher recovery, both the gas and electric element may be used simultaneously.]

I like the convenience of the electric feature, however, you can see the difference in recovery times. We have been turning the propane on this week as our youngest son is staying with us.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:41 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Only time we use propane with our water heater is when dry camping (boondocking). There is no necessity for using both at the same time unless you are desirous of rapid recovery (in the event the one ahead of you used all the hot water when showering). We have never run out of hot water (10-gallon water heater) and we both take showers in succession (can't do it concurrently).

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:41 AM   #11
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We always run our hot water heater on electric. Not sure what it costs to run it, but we should have turned it on/off when we were in Harlingen. Our electric bill ran $194.00 for one month. Of course we were using the AC, but not both at the same time.

It was nice to have propane too, we used it when we were running on the generator.

Nice to know we can survive a power outage at home since we have the Montana. Really don't want to boondock in my back yard.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:29 AM   #12
2-in-the-woods
Established Member

M.O.C. #5739
Thank you all for your comments. I will use propane down here in the park in Texas as our electric is .17 cents kwh. I can switch propane off after shower, etc in the am and have fast recovery when needed
2-in-the-woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:31 AM   #13
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
It really does make a difference if your paying for the electric. We try to conserve what ever we are using. You may no realize it but your paying for the electric, doesn't matter if your metered or not its in the bill. Our hot water system is a 12 gal unit, we haven't ran out of hot water. I do wonder why some people use the RV park showers and not use their RV? GBY...........
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:05 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

It really does make a difference if your paying for the electric. We try to conserve what ever we are using. You may no realize it but your paying for the electric, doesn't matter if your metered or not its in the bill. Our hot water system is a 12 gal unit, we haven't ran out of hot water. I do wonder why some people use the RV park showers and not use their RV? GBY...........
A lot of them use their shower for storage! If I had to do that I'd buy a bigger RV!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #15
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I have always used both electric and propane. I also do most of my camping at a state park. I still use both when I am hooked up at the farm.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Lindy, Another reason to use the CG Shower is those times when you are on elec and water only (no sewer). Sometimes I will use CG shower when I feel the need for a loooooooonnnnnnngggggggg hot shower. Many 1000 trails parks have elec and water only. Some Military Fam Camps also.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote