Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dead squirrel in our ceiling...

Well... the worst possible scenario happened. Last month about 3 weeks before we left for FL, while our 3400 was stored in our backyard, a red squirrel somehow got up in the ceiling. We could not find out how he got in there. We were using the dryer in the Montana about every other day or so, and Cheryl would hear the squirrel running back and forth in the ceiling for most of the length of the 3400.

He has gotten into the duct work, but I can't tell how bad. There was some insulation laying on some of the A/C vents. I called an exterminator. He came and put poison in the duct work. He explained that they will leave to find water and they will not die in there.

This is good in theory - except for one thing... Apparently the squirrel couldn't find his way out. He died somewhere in the ceiling. I estimate he has now been dead for 3-4 weeks.

We can smell the dead animal - although not strongly. We get a whiff of it every once in a while. We took the whole bottom plate including the grill off the main A/C unit in the living room tonight to wash it and the smell definitely picked up.

I sprayed disinfectant down both ducts exposed with the grill off. It's all I can really do. As I have bad shoulders, I tried to talk my wife into reaching into the ducts as far as she could to see if she could feel anything. As you can probably imagine that was a "no go" (not the exact words she used...).

I obviously do not want to tear down the ceiling looking for this carcass. He could be anywhere the length of the 3400. I am concerned that he may be partially blocking a vent. I am sure that he did at least some damage to my ducts. We have not had the need yet to run our A/C this winter.

Still not sure where he got in and the exterminator could not find it either. My guess would be that he made it up the back cap and into the ceiling that way. Any input? Anyone else have this problem? Has anyone sealed off the holes underneath near the back cap?

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
You know Dave, this sounds like the start of a country song. gg
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Dave, try your AC and see if there is any restriction in air flow. Then maybe try pulling the AC vent covers, get a penlight or small flashlight and shine it along the duct work. Get a mirror or small digital camera or cellphone w/camera and aim along the duct work. I didn't mention it earlier, but you could use flexible scope w/ a light - makes it easier to see along the duct work. These scopes are the kind used by doctors, tank inspectors or drug cops. If you see the squirrel - use a piece of stiff wire to snag it out. Another thought, call Team Montana and explain situation to them and they maybe able to tell you if there are any long runs where Red could run back & forth. Also, maybe there is a small area (like toilet room) in the ceiling you could remove and look into. Just some ideas. Hope this helps.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:53 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Wow, that's disappointing. We had an animal die in our bedroom wall in the stick house. I think it was an Opossum. We found where the soffit vent had been clawed open to get in. That is not the usual behavior of squirrels. The smell did finally go away, but we had a difficult week.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:09 AM   #5
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Dave & Cheryl,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. a friend of ours in FL had a mouse or something come in through his roof refrigerator vent & chew up most of the wiring to the unit.

He now has wire screen wrapped around the vent...no more problems.

Maybe the squirrel came into your ceiling that way?

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:29 AM   #6
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I am so sorry to read about your varmit issue. Squirrels are not cute...they are a pest! I would check every vent cap on top and make sure he didn't crawl up via the front landing gear through the underbelly storage through a wall in the middle of the trailer. I hope you get that smell out!
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:29 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Murf, I don't want to plagiarize "There's a Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road", but that song has run through my mind more than once recently (There's a Dead Squirrel in the Middle of my Roof)...

Don, some great ideas. I will try my camera first. Cheryl has just informed me, however, that she is "not hooking NO dead squirrel out of NO duct work. I have a neighbor that comes to mind...

Stiles, I am glad I only have a little red squirrel to wait on. Can't imagine an opossum...

Roy, I think we are very fortunate so far - don't think the squirrel got into any of my wiring.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:32 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Phil, I believe that the side walls would be difficult to get up through. I believe the back cap is hollow, though. I think... As soon as my shoulder feels a little better, I will slide under the camper and check things out.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:44 AM   #9
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Exterminators always prefer poison. I prefer traps, live if I can use them. He said it wouldn't stay in the trailer so get him to root it out.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:52 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MacDR50

Exterminators always prefer poison. I prefer traps, live if I can use them. He said it wouldn't stay in the trailer so get him to root it out.
I would if he wasn't 1400 miles away. Mac...

Actually, knowing this guy, he probably would have done that - if I was still in MI.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I don't do expired Squirrels......
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I don't do expired Squirrels......
I figured you might be afraid I was speaking about you Rich.

Actually I was thinking of Ron. He doesn't seem to mind taking risks...
Old 11-12-2008, 02:50 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Aw! Just give it time. Eventually the smell will go away. Then all you have to worry about is health issues.

Isn't there some way you can bribe the DW to fish it out?

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #14
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
We have had a squirrel in the rear end cap this fall. I believe he entered through the opening in the underbelly where the rear jacks are attached although I have not had a chance to check to see if this is possible. We were staying in the trailer at the time so were able to drive him out by pounding on the rear cap.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Isn't there some way you can bribe the DW to fish it out?
Not even if I paid her JC Penneys card balance off... I don't think...
Old 11-13-2008, 12:23 PM   #16
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Hey Dave, My son & I went to Home Depot and walked by a Milwaukee Tool display. They had the scope I suggested earlier. It had a 2x3" monitor, three foot flex tube w/ tv cam & light on the end. It was only $249. It would definitely handy to have for your situation, black & gray tank inspection or any other restricted place you needed to look into. Maybe your DW will get one for you for Christmas.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, If I was there, I would stick my hand in there and extract that sucker. Have you thought of one of those picker uppers they use on the road cleanup crews. We have one we use for geocaching. Of course, you have to find the dude first. Maybe put a hungry cat up there. I know we jest, but I wouldn't want to be in your shoes and sorry it happened to you...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Phil.

Don, I wonder if they rent those things...
Old 11-13-2008, 03:40 PM   #19
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dave-- If you locate him, you might be able to hook him with a wiring fish tape. It does have a hook on the end and it might catch on the fur. You being down in Florida now does not help the matter one bit! With the nice WARM weather you have down there the decomp will not be slow and if it is in the ductwork it could last a lot longer than just a week or two even if you get him out of there. Don't need to say anymore!! Good luck and keep us informed on how you get him out!

BTW, how's that shoulder replacement going? I'm still holding off on mine but there are times I can't raise the arm any higher than the shoulder itself and I need to force it up over my shoulder most of the time anyway if I need to use it for something above my head. PM or email me on how things are going!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:05 PM   #20
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
If you get the corpse out just throw it in that dark room.gg
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote