Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
deepskyridge
Established Member

M.O.C. #8711
Water Filter

I am going to add a water filter to our Monty (2955).

I was thinking of putting it in the basement area. This is heated and should not freeze when winter camping, also there is not a lot of room in the area under the sink.

Anyone done this ? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gary

deepskyridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We have the water filter in our basement attached to the side wall outside of the convenience center. Yep, it freezes and will crack the housing. Bernie wrapped the filter casing in heat tape and we made a pocket out of Reflectix insulation and the filter now sits inside that. Once we did that, no problems.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I never felt the need for a filter installed inside the rig but I can see the advantages. Yet, our dual filter system sitting in-line with the outside water supply seems to fulfill our needs pretty well. When we are parked at our leased lot in Lakewood, NM, we have one of those large styrofoam picnic boxes that I use to cover the filters. I put a 100W bulb inside the box (in an old clip-on desk lamp) controlled by a thermostatic controlled electric receptacle. I cut a hole in the bottom of the box such that it allows the entire water faucet system to fit through. The filters sit right in front of the faucets connected with a short piece of hose. Worked well all the way down to 0° F.

Orv

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We had a whole house water filter in our Cambridge, and we have one in our (SOB) inside the basement behind the sliding wall by the water manifold never had a freezing problem however our 5er is always hooked to 50 amp unless we are on the road. We change the filter every 6 months. We still use bottle water to drink. But we also have the 4 door fridge with water and the Ice maker. It depends on what State your in as for the taste of the water. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #5
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Like Icehouse, we mounted ours in the basement using a short, white water hose from the out of the filter to the in of the Monte. Very convenient. We used a brass disconnect (from Ace Hardware) for the supply hose to the RV.
DW still complains of poor taste so we use a Brita water pitcher in the refer
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
sunshineduo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8513
Tried mounting ours on the door to the basement first, but that failed miserably . There's not enough room in the convenience area, so like a couple of others we opted on the wall just outside of the convenience center. I hung mine with a good sized patch of industrial strength velcro so I can rip it down and move it to some other place, or change filters a bit more easily.
I don't let it hang there when we're rolling, but take it down and drain it and set it in its bucket.
With the brass quick-connects on the short and long hoses, it only takes a minute to set up filtered water when we settle in.
I have a single-stage GE filter (from Home Depot) and with the carbon filter in it the water tastes 'ok'. Not as good as Moose Drool, but it makes an ok cup of coffee
sunshineduo is offline   Reply With Quote