Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2006, 05:49 PM   #41
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Well Dave,
Here goes. We used to handle a hay rack with 100 bales of hay on it with a team of two. So lets say 5000 pounds as long as they get to rest a lot and we only do maybe 10 miles or so in a day. A four horse team could trot and maybe make 15 miles in a day on good road. So, a 13 to 15 thousand pound Montana needs a team of 18 to get started. Then we need a sulky of sorts to support the front of the fiver and provide a place for the driver. Of course, now we need feed and water for the horses so we need that hay rack with a store of hay, oats and water for the horses. That adds another four horses and a driver for that wagon (I'm sure we can talk the spouse into being that driver). I think that brings us to 22horses.

Now, with a little extra thought, we might consider saving the droppings in a container. By collecting the methane gas we can burn it and use thermo electric elements to charge our batteries in the Montana so we can have TV at the campsite. And, we need the dried droppings to cook over since we can't haul wood due to the ash borer infestation.

There are still a few issues to solve like where are we going to get tow insurance. And, given the average weight of our horses, I am afraid we will be over the CGWR.

(I sure was glad when Dad finally got rid of our Horses. We were mostly tractors by the end of WWII but he kept at least one team around until the mid 50's)

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 06:02 PM   #42
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Not so fast, Dave... I'm trying to write all this down... I knew you'd do a great job on this.

If you plan right, just camp on grassy locations near a lake or stream. Horses have to be kept down wind at night, though... And that dried horse dropping thing for fire and charging batteries will work. You can really recyle a lot - if you don't have a weak stomach.

Should we be talking openingly about these ideas, Dave??? Someone will end up with a very profitable patent on this, and we'll be out of luck!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:13 AM   #43
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good feedback Dave..so we could make say 10 miles a day.It is 1800 miles form our driveway to the RGV so we could make that in..say 180 days, give or take..the would be 360 days round trip..hummmmm. Meanwhile being a city boy the only thing I know about horses is that the Lone Ranger rode one..How do you drive a horse? Were in the heck is the steering wheel....Not to mention the brake pedal....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:58 AM   #44
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
365 in a year minus 360 for the round trip... That still a five day stay...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote