Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2006, 10:37 AM   #1
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
Good Sam Roadside policy

Hope this is a good place for this question.

Does anyone have the Goodsam Roadside emergency police?
If so, is it worth it?
I just got the advertisement in the mail and was thinking about joining. I was particularly interested in the Free towing part. My semi runs good, but if it ever had to be towed or needed a tire changed it would definatly pay to have a good raodside assitance policy.
Any info anyone can provide would be appreciated.
Thanks
Merv

Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:42 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Merv, if you mean the $99. (or thereabouts) emergency road service, YES. They run a good service. We carry no other towing on any of our other insurance policies. Saves us about $5.00 a year per policy, cause Good Sam covers ALL our cars/trucks/vans, etc.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
Hi Country Guy,
That sounds like the one. It was $79.00 I believe. It was a special.
It was supose to cover all of the houshold vehicles. I just was not sure if it would cover the Semi as a tow vehicle. The semi is only for personal use, not commercial.
I was curious how good a policy it is and if anyone has ever used it.
thanks
Merv
Old 04-14-2006, 10:50 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have the Camping World Roadside Service, a sister to the Good Sam Roadside Service. They're both equally good. I can recommend both--take your choice, both same price, both backed by Affinity Road & Travel Club, Inc.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:56 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Merv,

Pick up a phone and call these people, they are VERY helpful on the phone, ask your question about your big hauler!

A few years ago, I had a flat tire, out in the middle of nowhere, of course, dressed in good clothes (white of course), on a very hot day, of course. Lucky, I had cell phone. Called the number, first thing they always ask you is if you are OK, in a safe place. Sent out a tow truck, he changed my tire, it was about 35 minutes total from the call to my getting back on the road.

Had a less than stellar situation when we had a flat on Montana in Illinois, we were WAYYYYY out, took a lot longer to get to us, but we were in a campground and safe as could be, pretty little campground too! Al had to supervise the changing of the tire, so the guy did not jack it up wrong, but the guy was nice and not "attitudy" (if you get my drift).

Have had our vehicles flat bedded several times, service was always good.

OH, they even hauled the van and attached TT out of our OWN yard one time, they were both stuck in mud up to our holding tanks. (Don't ask how we managed, just suffice it to say, we DID! ) They sent out a big rig tow truck, he pulled out both at the same time and did not damage anything, holding tanks or otherwise. Was quite a feat and this guy was GOOD!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:58 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had good Sams road service for several years and used it 2 or 3 times,Excellent service and we may return to them next year. We went with Allstate road service because it had the same coverage and was less money..We have used Allstate once and the service was also excellent.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I do not have Good Sam; I went with Coach-net roadside service as I found them to offer more than Good Sam. One thing to double check with any roadside service is, are there any restrictions on the size of truck they will tow, service, ect. I remember one of the companies telling me they would not tow, change tires, or come to any truck bigger than a 3500. Dually or single rear wheel did not matter, nothing over a 1 ton truck was the rule. I threw them into the garbage as I am still tossing the idea of going to a Chevy Kodiak 4500.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:16 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Merv
We've had Good Sam for probably 10 years. They've changed tires for us several times and have been excellent. Recommend them highly.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:23 PM   #9
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
We have Good Sam ERS and have used it twice. Service on both occasions was quick and efficient. I expect to retain the service for the duration of our RV travels.
Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:11 PM   #10
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We have used Good Sam on several occasions. Always polite, concerned about your welfare, call to make sure someone has arrived and call to make sure everything is taken care of. We wouldn't be without it.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 12:02 AM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I, too, have Coach-net. Just my choice after comparing the policy benefits. The policies are very similar and I have had the service change a tire for me out in the boondocks next door to nowheresville they sent service and after several direction finding phone calls, they were very efficient in doing their work -- in the dark. The next day, I had another blowout on a main thoroughfare and again they were Johnny-on-the-spot. I would not be without one or the other of these RV oriented roadside services.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:24 AM   #12
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Another thumbs-up for Good Sam road service. Have used ours twice in the last thre years. Good service both times. Sounds like some of the others are good also. We wouldn't be without one of them.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:23 AM   #13
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
We have AAA RV. Not only does it get you roadside assist, but also all the maps, tour books, travel routing, etc. We have used it twice and both times it wa excellent.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:49 AM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Joe, I have never heard of AAA RV. I have heard of AAA road service. One thing mentioned by others, so I have no first hand knowledge of this, is some difficulty in AAA having the capability to pull your 5ver, if the need arises. Also, someone mentioned that some cases are out of pocket expenses. Someone could elaborate. Maybe they have changed all that. AAA is a good organization.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:44 AM   #15
Montana_5612
Established Member

M.O.C. #5612
I too have AAA RV+. I was told by a rep, when I expanded from regular AAA to AAA RV+ several years ago, they will tow my TV and my 5th wheel up to 100 miles or to a shop. If I need over night accomodations thay will help with as well. We have not had to use the roadside service for the RV so no stories good or bad. For my regular autos they have always responded asap and assisted the family. The RV+ also covers motorcycles. As a person who has been in the business of helping stranded motorists for over 23 years, you cannot beat AAA. Not to degrade the others as they may be great for RV's but overall I like AAA.
Montana_5612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:08 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
AAA does not offer Rv service in every State..Exaple Ohio does not offer it.That is why we do NOT have AAA.We understand Ohio WILL offer it in the near future..Check with AAA in your state.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:45 AM   #17
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Another point to check is the distance the service will tow. I believe Escapees policy or Coach-net both have a more liberal distance than AAA. I had AAA+ for years and was satisfied with their service. But when I picked up the Monty, I changed after thoroughly investigating the coverage item by item.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:01 AM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Stiles,
Escapees doesn't provide insurance. If they do, it must be stealth.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:11 PM   #19
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Well, you are exactly right. Some times I may be thinking of one and type the other. I am a member of both Good Sam and Escapees. Thank you for the correction.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:21 AM   #20
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
Thank you for all of the replys. I will call Good Sam and see if they cover the large tow vehicle. Ill let everyone know what they say. It sounds like all of you that are posting have had very good service with them.
Hope they cover the Semi, I would hate to change a tire or pay the towing bill for this size rig.
Thanks,
Merv