Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2006, 06:14 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Custom Flow Tailgate

If anyone is interested in one of these here is a site with a fairly good price. http://www.rvsupplywarehouse.com/pro...l.cfm/pid/2361

329.99 Shipping included.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:33 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Don't understand why anyone would want such a louvered gate. It has been proven that the OEM gate is more fuel efficient than a louvered gate or running with no gate at all.

Here's a few sites that prove my point....

Aerodynamic Characteristics of General Motors Truck

Tailgate Controversy Resolved!

Keep Your Tailgate Shut!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:45 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Hummmmm... Those college boys are pretty smart up in Michigan. Glad to see some hard data rather than rumor.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:46 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is a point that does not need to be proven as it is a commonly known fact. One MAY want one because one may make a mistake and forget to lower the OEM taligate thereby causeing considerable damage..I am one of those folks hence the Fifth wheel V tailgate. In any case when towing there wil be enough turbulance caused by air bouncing around betwen the Tv and Camper to negate any small fuel savings.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:38 AM   #5
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
With a 5th wheel trailer there are 2 arguments apparent here.

The 1st is that the tailgate shown is NOT a v-shaped gate and still MUST be lowered to hitch and unhitch.

The 2nd argument is that most 5th wheelers spend 10% to 20% of their driving time with the trailer attached and the rest of the time is touring, shopping, visiting, and all the rest of the things RVers do when the trailer is parked. So, a closed tailgate is economically a better way to go.

That is just my opinion and opinions are like elbows (everybody has one).
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:26 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you would scroll down the page just a bit you will see the V tailgate. I did not mention anything about economics the V tailgate is about forgetting to lower the OEM tailgate which apparently I am the only one who may forget to do so. When not towing I have the Fold-a-cover so in my case the economics of driving with the V tail gate are minimal. At any rate I will trade off any fuel savings for the ease of mind in having the V tailgate and avoiding my making a mistake.. I have been know to err on occasion..
Old 04-04-2006, 08:27 AM   #7
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Thanks for bringing this subject up and thanks Glenn for the information that has now changed my mind on purchasing one of these tailgates.
I had been toying for better than a year now, on whether to get one or not. I, too, was listening to those who sell these items, due to the increased efficiency of air flow. You have saved me a few hundred bucks. When and if we ever meet, remind me, I owe you a beer or two.
Thanks again everyone.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:59 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I also have the bedsaver in case I make one of those mistakes.The added weight of the bedsaver will also decrease the MPG unless the lessor weight of the V tailgate will make up for the added weight of the bedsaver..I could come out ahead?????
Old 04-04-2006, 12:09 PM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Rich, we have a V louvered tailgate for the same reasons that you bought one. We did forget to put down the tailgate. We also have the Bedsaver.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:03 PM   #10
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I have a Custom Flow tailgate for my current Ford and a spare that I took off my Dodge. I will agree with the argument that a stock tailgate is better for airflow WITHOUT A 5th wheel attached. Don't know about the efficiency then. I do know that I prefer to hitch up with the Custom Flow. BTW, I would make a great deal for anyone passing thru Ely, NV on the Dodge unit as I have no use for it.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:09 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I run the Custom flow V tailgate as well. Got it for my peace of mind and I like the fact I can see through it when backing up. For my personal truck I have not noticed any "real" difference in fuel mileage between the factory gate and with the custom flow on. I run the same 60 miles to work and 60 miles back everyday, did a 1 month mileage comparison on each tailgate last year running the same road, same speed, and got fuel from the same station. I actually found the Vgate provided a little over 1 mpg better mileage, which is not enough for me to really consider it worth the cost of the tailgate in savings of fuel dollars. I run the V gate from April 1 - October 1 and the factory gate the rest of the time. I have it for convience and peace of mind, no other reason.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:05 PM   #12
emdavis
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4606
rich i'm with you. i will take the v tail gate anytime. it makes it much easer when hitching and unhitching. if you damage it, it is a lot cheeper than the oem tail gate
emdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #13
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
The latches on the after market flow through tailgates are not very good, so if you open and shut the tailgate very much they will break. I’ve had one on my old truck and had both latches replaced by the dealer and in less than a year they were bad again. In my opinion they are not worth the money.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:39 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Old guard..what brand V gate did you have.This is the Elite series Custom Flow gate. There are several in our local camping group and they appear to be well made and at the last meeting I asked around and no one that had one had a failure.I am sure they are not as well made as the OEM gate as they weigh half as much. I know there are a couple of brands out there that do not look very sturdy. I tried to get the best one on the market..
Old 04-04-2006, 05:14 PM   #15
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
While you pull a 5er 12' high, no point worrying about fuel economy due to a solid tailgate or a V louvered tailgate.
we have a V louvered tailgate just for the ease of it. I keep a couple of 5' 2 X 10s (to park on for leveling)in the back of the truck. When I had the solid tailgate on pulling the 5er you could actually watch them bounce around in the updraft caused by the 5er, never mind what else might blow out. With the V louvered tailgate, none of that. My V louvered tailgate is solid black plastic, No rust and once when unhooking, the 5th wheel pin caught a block in the back it popped the tailgate right off the truck and did no damage to anything. I just put the tailgate back on. It works for us.
J & D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:37 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I like and will keep my V-gate simply because I never have to remember to lower it to hitch or unhitch. I agree fuel efficiency is slightly better with the stock gate in the up position but I'll pay that small price to not have to worry about the gate. This is one of those to each his own things in my opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:24 PM   #17
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Rich It is a Custom flow “Elite” fifth wheel tail-gate, for a 2001/2006 ford heavy duty.I have also had things blow out of the truck because of the air movement.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:48 AM   #18
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
My stock taligate is out in the shop in the corner covered up for the past year. I did something dumb like I never back up to the trailer when we go some place . We were out in Iowa ,it was hot, we decided to go to the pool, it was a long hot walk, so we drove over,took our swim, drove back, and I did something I never do except to hook up.I backed up to 5vr."CLUNK". I took a lot of ribbing after that. I got back home,took the tailgate off ,took some treated 2x12 ,cut it to fit the space. I cut an angle space like the store bought. I painted it black and mounted it, useing galvanized deck angles, with staineless screws. I mounted the rear clearance lights,mounted some extra lights from the over the road truck store, looks good,and if I wack it, lumber is cheap.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:59 AM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have never had a "V" gate and I never will. When I got my 5er I developed a habit of always putting the gate down whether unhooking or hooking up. In the 2 1/2 years of full timing with over a hundred unhooks and hook ups I have only once forgot to put the gate down. That one time was just under 2 1/2 years ago. Fortunately I did no damage.
In the park I am currently in there are 4 "V" gates. Of the 4, 3 have dents at the lower portion of the "V". One so damaged he keeps it up using a bungee cord as the latch no longer works. All three of these drivers commented that after pulling the TV away they had to lower the front of the 5er in order to get it level front to rear. They forgot this lowering when hooking up. Had they dropped the gate no damage would have occured. So you can forget about....
Quote:
quote:the ease of mind in having the V tailgate and avoiding my making a mistake..
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:36 AM   #20
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Granted, if you get the pin low enough you may have to lower even a notched tailgate, although that has never happened to me. The fact remains that in normal use you are much more likely to bend a stock tailgate than a notched one. If you do, the replacement cost will offset a lifetime of pennies saved through marginally better fuel economy. I'll stick with my notched tailgate.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote