Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2006, 05:58 AM   #1
derooshb
Established Member

M.O.C. #5218
5th wheel hitch

I have a Ford F350 super duty, supercab, short bed, and just bought a Montana model 2980RL. Can anyone suggest what kind of hitch I should buy that will keep the trailer pretty level? I would think a 16 inch hitch height would be to tall. Any info would be appreciated.

derooshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:51 AM   #2
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We had a F350 long bed and had a 20K Reese in it for many years. We now have a 2500HD GMC short bed and decided on a 18K reese Signature series with a slide. The new Reese hitch has the under the bed steel frames that connect to the hitch via four latches. That way everything is out of the bed for hauling. Our montana is level when hitched up. I did have Air bags mounted on the truck as I did on our old F350 to keep the truck and trailer level when towing. It also made for a softer ride.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Ken

Just a short question, how often do you use the slider hitch?
Old 02-01-2006, 10:13 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
deerooshb,
Congrats on your new coach!

As for a hitch I would recommend a sliding hitch for sure and if you can swing it look into the Superglide. I have it on my truck and love it. There is nothing better than having a fully automatic sliding hitch that requires nothing from you while you drive. That is just my opinion but, I can tell you I have done a full U-turn in some pretty small parking lots with my 3400RL and usually end up having someone come up and ask me how I was I able to do it? Superglide is the only thing I have to say. Again, Welcome to the MOC and we look forward to hearing all about your new coach and upcoming travels.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:16 AM   #5
derooshb
Established Member

M.O.C. #5218
Thanks for the information. I would like to have the superglide but it is not adjustable and 15 1/2 inches high. My F350 in 3 inches higher than the F250 and I think I need to be at 14 inches. Thats why I'm thinking of the 18k Signature Series with slider by Reese.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
derooshb,
I am sorry I forgot the Montana's now have a new kingpin that does not have many options in terms of height adjustments. We have another member who has come across the same problem. Reese makes a quality hitch. I think you will be happy with the Reese if it will fit your height adjustment requirements. Best of luck in getting your new coach and hitch all set up for the upcoming travel season.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:52 PM   #7
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
There are many quality hitches out there with adjustable hight. The two mentioned by Montana Sky and Ken are in the upper range. With the short bed you wil surely want the slider. Weather it is the manual type our power slider is purely a personal choice.Oh,,, and it depends on your pocket book
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:50 PM   #8
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
We have a 2005 F350 crew cab short box and a 2006 2980RL.
We have a 16K Reese Kwik Slide with side to side pivot.
I have the hitch at the lowest setting and you can see by the picture
the trailer sits pretty level.
I've never used the slider part, but I could see some day I might.
I also took the the 4" riser blocks off the top of the rear axle of the truck
and replaced them with 2" Blocks. That dropped the rear of the truck.
It seems to tow just fine.

Take Care
John & Dawn
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Remember now that the Montana's have a new front cap and if you have one of those it is said you may not need a slider hitch.We haven't had reports on the new cap YET but keep that in mind befor you buy a slider hitch IF you have the new cap
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:14 AM   #10
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Get the sliding hitch, if you find yourself in a campground, or unfamiliar area where you have to drive through, or back into a severe terrain dip, the TV and RV will tip towards each other, and can make contact, which can do some major damage and, or blow your rear window out. Don't rely on the shape of a front cap for clearance in those extreme situations. Anyways you never know what the future may bring, you might buy a different model eventually that doesn't have the curved front cap.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:15 AM   #11
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CRUZIN 2

Ken

Just a short question, how often do you use the slider hitch?
To be honest, I have never used the slider yet. But it is there if I get into a bind. I have had the Montana at about a 60 degree angle and still had room between the trailer and cab. If I was in an twisted angle with the truck and trailer I might be in trouble. For safety sake I added the slider. There is a difference in lenghts of these short bed trucks. The Dodge has a smaller bed. the 2500 HD has a 6'6" bed. I am not sure what the Fords length is.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:19 AM   #12
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Ken

I just keep learning something ever day, I didn't know there was a differences in the length of the Dodge short box was shorter then Chev., thanks for the reply. Larry & LaVonne
Old 02-02-2006, 03:38 AM   #13
derooshb
Established Member

M.O.C. #5218
Thanks for the info John. I wonder if there is a way to put the spacers under the trailers axle or springs rather than replacing the 4 inch spacers in the truck to the 2 inch.
Harold
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JH Sechelt

We have a 2005 F350 crew cab short box and a 2006 2980RL.
We have a 16K Reese Kwik Slide with side to side pivot.
I have the hitch at the lowest setting and you can see by the picture
the trailer sits pretty level.
I've never used the slider part, but I could see some day I might.
I also took the the 4" riser blocks off the top of the rear axle of the truck
and replaced them with 2" Blocks. That dropped the rear of the truck.
It seems to tow just fine.

Take Care
John & Dawn
Old 02-02-2006, 09:10 AM   #14
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Some more specific details re differences in the length of short bed pick-ups is provided below.

Montana link.
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:28 AM   #15
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Harold,

I would not want to raise the trailer up any if I did not have to. Moving the CG higher
would cause the trailer to sway more and lean in the corners too much.
Very hard on the trailer tires.
I bought the 2" blocks from Ford they were made just to lower the rear of the truck.
You can lower it the 2" without changing the shocks or brake lines.
When I lower the monty on the truck it drops about 2 more inches.
just touches the back end of the overload springs.
Now the truck can do what it was made for.

Take care
John
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:00 PM   #16
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
John: Having a 5th wheel with a longitudal axis (4 way tilt) will also contribute to excessive sway & lean on corners. That is the resaon they're not put on large tractors. You can get into situations with a loaded flat bed trailer that will allow the trailer rail to come down on a tire. NOT GOOD.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:20 PM   #17
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
According to Montana CS, if your trailer has Dexter axles and springs, it is fairly easy and economical to raise the trailer by approximately 1" - if that's something you would consider.

If interested, let me know and I will pass along the info provided to me.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:05 AM   #18
derooshb
Established Member

M.O.C. #5218
Thanks Rick, I would like to read the info that you have on raising the trailer. In the meantime I need to find out what kind of axles and springs I have. The dealer told me that he couldn't raise it any higher.
Harold

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rickfox

According to Montana CS, if your trailer has Dexter axles and springs, it is fairly easy and economical to raise the trailer by approximately 1" - if that's something you would consider.

If interested, let me know and I will pass along the info provided to me.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:57 PM   #19
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
derooshb,

Montana CS says that a 4" equalizer bracket (an upside down Y shaped bracket that connects the two axle springs together in the middle between the tires, with the upper leg of the upside down Y connected to the frame) can be installed in place of the currently installed 2" brackets. According to Montana CS - because of the geometry of the pieces and parts - this will result in raising the trailer approximately 1" - rather than 2". The local price of this bracket (2 are needed) is $8.80 each.

However, the bracket I was told should currently be on my 3400RL is not the bracket that is actually on it.

I will be talking with Montana Monday, and will provide an update.

It seems to me that a fair number of trailers are riding high in the front. If this "fix" will make things better, it might be a good thing to know.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:23 PM   #20
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
We have a 2004 2500HD D/A combo and a Pull-rite slider hitch. The Monty is a 2005.5 2955RL. The tv and trailer are very level. No other adjustment needed. I am new to having a 5'er and a s/b tv but I have seen how often the automatic slider kicks in on tight turns. I am very happy with this hitch, would recommend it in a heartbeat.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote