Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2005, 03:33 AM   #41
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Hemlockusa,

This is totally off topic but what kind of camara did you use to take the picture of your truck and trailer? It looks sharp and clear enough to be a 35mm SR.

Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:57 AM   #42
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have owned all brands of trucks and poking a little fun from time to time does no harm.We know what brand bashing is from other forums and we do not see that here..it is not in the MOC character.We got a FORD this time because we were able to get it on the X plan at the time we purchased it and it had the best tow rating..We are no fan of the 6.0 PSD everyone to there own choice..however we hope that the next PSD is one we can buy..meanwhile the V-10 serves our need perfectly..for now.. No matter what you have.V10, PSD, 8.1 Cummings, duramax Lb, SB, Dually, SWD,Ford, GM, Dodge.. you made the right choice..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:08 AM   #43
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Rich,
Great post.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 11:43 AM   #44
tennisdg
Established Member

M.O.C. #5058
i'll take my dodge over any other truck they make. i bought it in missoula montana from lithia dodge for forty three thousand with all the bells and whistles, it's a diesel that is 625lbs of torque it will pull.
tennisdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:37 PM   #45
houseof many dogs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #854
Folks - you forgot the fourth brand of truck,and probably the best, - the one that's paid for! LOL

houseof many dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 08:59 AM   #46
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I've had alot of fun reading the replies and responses to this thread. All good natured I believe. Of course the male thing is that we are driving the best.

I've read all the reviews and checked out all the web sites on Ford/Chevy/GMC/Dodge and haven't found alot of difference in them. All will pull our Montys without a problem.

I bought mine because of price. I bought mine new for $33 with all the extras, Air/Radio/CD/Tape/towing package/bedliner/etc. Maybe when I win the lottery I'm buy a GMC or something.(Just kidding).

Just get the best deal for what you need and love the one you are driving.

Happy motoring.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:40 AM   #47
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
All are truly great trucks. We have always had good results with our ford products. My wife liked our latest truck because the colors most matched our Monty. Well, there you have it, it could have been either Dodge or Chevy........Les
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:20 PM   #48
raja402
Established Member

M.O.C. #4716
I'm for Chevy, they are the most comfortable ride in my opinion. Now, if you are wanting to go four wheeling in the hills, get a Dodge or Ford. Chevy's aren't much for tough off road. We pull a 3577RL at about 15,000 with no trouble with the Duramax/Allison Combo in the 2500HD. Want to consider exhaust brakes however in the near future. Again the Chevy for comfort, the Dodge and or Ford for the rough stuff.
raja402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:35 PM   #49
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think they're all pretty comfortable. We find ours very much so. We'll turn 44,000 on our 2005 Ford (14 months old) in the next couple of days and it is doing beautifully. In reality, all three majors can do the job just fine. I'd personally make my choice on my other priorities and preferences, knowing the diesels all do the job. It's nice to have a number of good choices.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:33 AM   #50
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
When I shoped for a truck in 2005 at the time I felt the best choice was the Ford with the 6.0. Ford also has a reputation for building a strong body and suspension.
I am not one to drive something by name alone. Chevy, Ford or Dodge. Get the best your money can buy. Start with the consumer pages, and car mag reviews. Most of these web sites have forums. And of coarse talk to people.
Now if someone was to ask me, My only problem with Dodge is not a short term problem rather a problem if you are like me keep a vehicle till the wheels fall off. Dodge has always built a strong power train, and has ALWAYS fell short on body strength and suspension. Chevy is a truck I like a lot, but the gas engines seemed to have a built in knock, as a mechanic this did not set well with me ever though Chevy upped the warranty. Daramax/ Isuzu is another thing. Mabe largely personal and from working in the truck field, I do not like Isuzu Diesel. Admittedly a good engine till you have problems then the cussing begins. The 6.0 Powerstroke was a little bit of a gamble. The 7.3 PS diesel was an excellent engine other than injector problems on high mileage engines. The 6.0 in 2003 did not do well at all. But the problems were addressed by 2004 and 2005 the consumer reports gave high marks to the Ford with the 6.0 PSD.
With all this said does not mean that Dodge wont come up with a better body and suspension or Isuzu Diesel convinces me they are the better engine and Ford has another better idea that did not come from their better moments. The market changes every year, in 2005 I truely belive it was the Ford with the 6.0. And with nearly 20,000 miles on it I am still convinced. I have not had so much as the smallest problem with the truck or the engine. I topped Cajone pass in California an 8% grade at 65 MPH pulling my Mountaineer! The only visible indication I had done something that severe is I turned the exh pipe fom the turbo blue.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:46 PM   #51
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Lot's of great posts here and the bottom line is you treat people the way they treat you. You stick with a vehicle that works for you. I have met people that have had good and bad luck with all three brands. Myself, I can hardly wait for Toyota to get into the heavy duty pickup market.
Things are going to get very interesting.

I am a Ford man all the way and you can probably say I am brand loyal to the point of being stupid because some of my Fords have been less than kind. My 95 and 00 7.3 PSDs were super reliable trucks and then I guess I pulled the short straw because my 04 6.0 was problematic and left me stranded 3 times along side the road, once in freezing weather and yes I know many love that engine, me I won't own another, so I test drove the GM and Dodge diesels. I wanted a Crew Cab and in 05 Dodge only had a 4 door extended cab, the best of all 3 but still not a true CC.
The GMC truck far out rides the Ford but I like tall, tough trucks so the "Buick with a box" was not for me. I went back to gas, the 6.8 Triton V10 and in 11 months it has been flawless and a joy to own and drive.It also has the same tow ratings as the PSD so for 11 years I posted as Diesel Don and repeated the tired old saying, "I will never own another gas engine again".

Well I was wrong and I have learned my lesson on saying "never". I might own another diesel some day, but not another 6.0 but I do wish all of you the best of luck with whatever engine you own.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:24 PM   #52
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
FORD FORD FORD
Paid political announcement
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote