Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Seal for Bedroom Slide

Have you ever sat on the bedroom steps during the winter months and wondered where all that cold air is coming from? I've owned 2 Montanas and both have had a problem of an air gap in the middle of the bottom seal on the bedroom slide when extended. Although not much more of a gap than to see light thru, it does let a bunch of cold air thru that seeps around the base of the bed and on down the stairs. I have a pretty simple fix that'll keep the air out. I'm not worried about water as it's really a non-issue in the center of the slide seal. The board is a 1"X4" with some adhesive backed foam on one side offset 3/4" to allow you to screw the board onto the face of the plywood decking under the head of your bed. You might have to cut a relief in the 1"X4" to allow for rear cylinder mount clearance when the slide is retracted, you'll just have to check this depending on where they bolted the mount down on your unit. About the only other thing is be sure the hydraulic lines are secured away from this potential pinch point. The photos should cover any questions. http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...lideBefore.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...SlideAfter.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n.../BoardSeal.jpg

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:30 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Nice fix, good pictures. I'll have to check it out on mine. Thanks dieselguy.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Keystone just rebuilt my bedroom slide. I will have to check this area out this spring when the coach comes out of the garage.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:06 AM   #4
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Thanks for the post. I will check mine out and your fix looks like a very good idea.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:39 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would never have thought of looking there.Nice catch...will check it out.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:50 AM   #6
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
An elegant little fix. I am learning so much about these things it may take me months to complete all that I have found here on the Club. I agree with the others, "Good Catch!"
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote