Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Tow Command Brake Setting

I hooked the Monty up for a short test pull yesterday. I was pretty impressed with the Ford and how the tow command / torq shift tranny worked. I got 13 MPG out and 9.5 MPG back. Like always in ND, it was windy. I thought the mileage was pretty reasonable for a motor with only 11 - 12 hrs on it. I only went about 40 miles round trip, up and down some pretty steep hills, even though they are fairly short. Anyway, I have a question for those who have the built in brake controller. Where do you usually set your gain at to start with? I had mine at about 3.5. Is that in the ball park? I am looking forward to a long trip and can't wait to go.

Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Virgil
I've got ours set at 8.5. A friend of mine has a Artic Fox and I think his is set pretty close to what I have ours set at.
Your right the Tow/Command/torq shift tranny really does work well. Thats one of the best changes Ford has come up with in a long time.
J & D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
mjflora
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5556
We have ours set at 6.5 We've only had the truck a few weeks and we towed our new 3500RL over a mountain pass bringing it home last week, and it seemed to do fine. I do think 'tho that we need to fiddle with it a bit more.

Mary
mjflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:32 AM   #4
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I have only pulled the Monty about 10 miles after getting it out of storage this weekend and mine was set on 9. It seemed to stop OK but sounds like I may have it set too high. I wander if it depends on how tight we have our trailer brakes set up also. If my brakes need adjusted 9 may work for me. But if I readjust the brakes I will most likely be able to turn it down some. ???
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:02 AM   #5
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
I set mine on 8 last summer and have found that to work well. Like you, I have been very impressed with the Torqueshift transmission.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:46 AM   #6
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Vergil, how many miles on it? I took delivery of mine on the 8th of this month and the documents that came with it were pretty adamant about not pulling anything till there were 500 miles on it.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I bumped ours up last trip from 8 to 8.5. A lot depends on how much weight you are towing. 3.5 sounds way too low to me but if it's working to your satisfaction...

I agree. This is absolutely the best brake controller I have ever experienced, bar none. I guess that's because it's wired into the truck's computer so it controls braking on the trailer to match that on the truck. Sure is smooth and consistent.

And I can understand why one of the magazines that tested it claimed the TorqShift the best automatic and how it was smart enough to handle all situations, upgrade, downgrade, and level towing. I also like the way the PowerStroke's variable geometry vanes in the turbo close down when going off-throttle going downgrade to provide exhaust backpressure, eliminating any need for me to consider an exhaust brake. It holds back the speed on downgrades even better than my gas V10 did.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
Roman4
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3018
We run ours at around 7.5, give or take a half-point or so.
Roman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #9
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Thanks all. I coasted slowly down the street and squeezed the brake controller and it slowed the pickup to a stop. I will do that again with a higher setting. As far as the miles, I was close enough. I dont change oil at their recommended intervals either, at about 1/2 their recommendation. Thanks for the advice and I hope everyone has a safe and Happy Easter. Happy trails to you.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:44 PM   #10
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I am still having a few error code on my brake controller. Of course, I have not had the time to pull the wheels to inspect the connections as recommended. That is on my to do list as soon as my new titanium knee and the doctor will allow me to do mechanic work. All it all, when the system works, it is better than anything I have ever had. The tranny and the computer really work better than my former Ford diesel with all that expensive Banks package.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #11
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Native Tex;

GOod luck with the new knee. You will get the error message taken care of. Take care of yourself and take it easy on the knee. I am sure lots of people have told you that. I was wondering though,, does the radio come in any stronger with that extra antenna (knee)?
Just kidding. lol. Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery, as much as possible anyway. Happy Trails.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:31 AM   #12
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I have only done one short trip with mine but 7 would lock the trailer brakes and 6 gave me the best feeling brake controller I have ever used in the last 20 years.

With that built in brake control and the amazing Torqueshift Auto, Ford has raised the bar on towing ability.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:53 AM   #13
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Virgil, This Virgil has our controller set on 8. Did have it set on 7.5, but bumped it up and it seems to work great.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:47 AM   #14
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
The FEMA driver that delivered mine said his was set at 4.5 and he towed it from Michigan to Utah that way. I set mine between 4.5 and 5.5 depending on the grade.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:36 PM   #15
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
Mine is set at 8 and a half.

Yes, the Tow Command/controller system in these new Fords is unbelievably good!!! I wonder if the other makes will be adding them, or if Ford has a patent on the system?
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:02 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Virgil, I just re-read your original post and wanted to comment on your question --

"Where do you usually set your gain at to start with?"

Once you find the setting you like you will not need to adjust it ever again unless you just want to. Unlike the addon controllers I've had, there is NO need to adjust the setting for when the brakes are cold, hot, or for the season. The Prodigy was close to a set and forget but all others I've used required adjustment after a number of ours of towing, when brakes are cold, etc. Not this one. The whole rig feels like they are welded together when stopping.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote