Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Dodge Owners

Just wondered if any of you Dodge owners have had any electrical issues as far as the speedo goes with your trucks. Mine is currently in the shop and the speedo is floping and jumping around. The dealer who I have not very much faith in says its the instrument cluster but a friend of mine and his guys in the know say no. Instrument cluster is 1100.00 so I hope my friend is right. According to him the signal comes to the plug under the dash before it goes to gauges. When the scanner is plugged in under the dash it reads the jump in the signal from underneath. So it may be some bad wires or the computer on the firewall. All I know is I don't like things like this cause you always wonder if it will be fixed. 2003 Dodge 2500. Sure do like the truck but at this point I am wondering.Al

BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Hope you are able to get your speedometer fixed without costing you an arm and a leg.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:44 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
A friend of mine had a '74 Chevy truck that the speedometer gear in the tranny was broken. He did not want to pull the transmission to replace the gear so he mounted a GPS on the dash to monitor his speed. If this is the only problem with your instrument cluster you might give this some consideration......lots cheaper than $1100.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
The only problem we have ever had with our truck is the headlights stopped working. We never knew when they stopped because we never drove at night till we got up here to Montana. All of the sudden one night we were out late and on the way home couldn't see where we were going...So we took it to the dealer and presto chango it was fixed...Thats the only problem we have had. Thank goodness...
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
houseof many dogs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #854
Is there a way to check for a recall on that problem?

Never had such a problem on my 2003/3500. I think speedometers are not a mechanical link like in the old days. That would lead me to believe in a grounding issue or a corroded plug - maybe near the firewall?

Sounds like your dealer may be a parts pusher vice a troubleshooter.

houseof many dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:46 PM   #6
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
I failed to mention in my first post that the problem hear also affects the shifting of the trasmission. At times when starting off from a stop the truck will not go over 20mph. The only way to fix the problem is turn the key off and start the truck again. This tends to make some people mad in traffic as everybody on the street is in a bigger hurry than you are. There are two sensors underneath for the speedo and the scanner at the dealer says it's the one in the tailshaft of the tranny but that was not the problem. So that is when they came up with the instrument cluster. Will see and when and if the problem gets fixed I will post the result. Thanks Al
Old 03-17-2006, 08:32 AM   #7
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Have not had any electrical problems in the Dodge. This is my second Dodge. The first had a V-10 in it. I really was impressed with that motor but I was less impressed with the tranny. I am on the hunt for a new "quiet" Dodge. I haven't decided between SRW and DRW yet though. I am looking for 4.10 gearing and auto tranny. I will likely upsize my Monty as I get closer to retirement and I want to make sure I have enough TV to pull whatever I decide on. As someone stated earlier, I believe all the new speedometers are electro magnetic and the old cable systems are gone. That is why they show speed in reverse. It doesn't know which way the driveshaft is turning. Just that its turning.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:25 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have the 03 six speed. I have not had any electrical problems. Good luck trouble shooting it and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #9
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
I had an 04 Ram 2500 that had a problem where the spedometer and tachometer dropped to zero randomly while driving. If I remember correctly, all they did was flash (reprogram) some module. After that, not only did the panel work properly, but the fuel efficiency went up due to improvements to the shift points.

I recommend that you do a google search for Dodge TSBs. Many of the sites I used to visit have taken down the TSBs at Dodge's request because "Customers approach dealers for fixes on vehicles when it doesn't apply to their vehicle".
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:11 PM   #10
houseof many dogs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #854
Bigal52 - any updates?
houseof many dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:18 PM   #11
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
I have not confirmed for sure yet but we seem to be making progress. Turns out we may have 2 issues here. Replaced the speed sensor at the real wheel even though it checked okay and the speedo has not acted up so far. I am still skeptcial but will be closely watching. We also did get star involved with this issue. Star is Chryslers big boys that the dealers talk to when they have issues they cannot fix. Now if I can get the transmission to start out in low gear all the time it should be good to go. Tranny wants to start out in second and only shift to third. This is only periodically and can be reset by cycling the ignition off and back on again. All this electronic stuff can make one crazy. I will post more when more progress is made. Al