Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2005, 08:31 AM   #1
Montana_1953
Established Member

M.O.C. #1953
Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale

I was going to buy one of these but it is a limited use item.
(Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale ) for my trailer but since I will use it one time , note the reading and not use it again.
I was wondering if someone on the forum had a 2000 lb sherline trailer tongue weight scale I could "Rent" for a day
I would pay shipping both ways and a reasonable fee $10 or so to use this for five minutes and return in good conditon.
or
If several of you want to use this, I will buy one, and let others "borrow" it for the same deal (shipping both ways and $10) I am NOT trying to start an equipment rental business here, but just did not want to pay $100 for an item I would only use once.

Montana_1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
David,

Have you thought about using your Bath scale? Yep it's do-able. Go to www.Drawtite-hitches.com

Instead of using 1 ft. and 3 ft., use 1 ft. and 4 ft. and multiply the weight by 5.

I have used this method. Works great. BTW, mine came in at 1080 Lbs. loaded.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:10 PM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
azstar, could you please explain the link you refer to? Thanks.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:54 PM   #4
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
The page at drawtite.com that explains the torque set up with bathroom scales is: http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/towi...acts_step1.htm.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 08:21 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
For $10.00 you can go to the truck scales weigh the complete set up (steering, drive, trailer tires) and then disconnect the trailer and weigh the TV (steering and drive)and calculate the rest.
Subtract TV from the steering and drive of the complete rig that will give you the tongue weight. I paid $8 and $1 to reweigh in less than 24 hours. The best part about this is it tells you how much weight is applied to each set of tires by your distribution hitch. It also tells you what your trailer weighs.
Good luck and tow safe.
John
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:00 AM   #6
Montana_1953
Established Member

M.O.C. #1953
Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.
Actually knowing that another trailer of the same model had 1080 lbs
will help me plan my loading and balance. I will try the scale trick
and also keep my eyes on ebay . one sherline scale was there earlier this week but ebay pulled the auciton because something about it broke its rules. (not sure what )
Montana_1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:08 AM   #7
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hello Again,

You'll see a diagram on this page, http:/www.drawtite-hitches.com/towing_info/towfacts_step1.htm

Use Fig. 2 but you'll need to use a plank thats 5 ft. long. between the scale and the brick and still place the Trailer tongue 1 ft. from the brick side as shown in the Diagram, or you'll over load the scale. Multiply the measurement times 5. Make sure you use the two pieces of pipe as shown, and remove the landing pad on the TT tongue as this will effect the out come. Also make sure the TT is level when you take the weight. I have the TT sitting on the TV ball, slide the plank under the tongue, place the scale and pipes as shown. The plank should also be level to the ground. Then lower the jack at the one Ft. point, pull the TV out and check level of TT. Thats it.

Happy camping

That's it.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote