Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2005, 08:01 AM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
The kitchen is UP, not DOWN

As many of you know, Al and I had some of that axle and tire (tires scalped on inside after only 6000 miles) problem, and as you all know, from many of my posts and ramblings on, we have had a lot of bouncing going on in the rear of this (and prior) rigs. Remember my stories of the unmaking of the bed in the rear of the prior TT??

As some of you also know, we have been to the service center in Goshen a couple of times for fixes and some TLC from the folks there.

I am going to list here several of the fixes that we have had done for us, or have done to the truck/trailer on our own.

First the disclaimers. These fixes are NOT for everyone. Every fix has good and bad sides to it. Will these fixes continue to solve our kitchen up and down problem, not sure, only time will tell and we have only put about 2000 miles on the rig since some of these fixes were done. Are these fixes the ultimate answer to the problems?? Have no idea. Are they the best fixes for our problems, again, have no idea.

Ok, here we go:

1.) Axles replaced, now 7,000 pounds, AlKo Kobler, with 8 lug rims, new tires. Difference in a 7,000 pound axle (AlKo Kobler ONLY), is one more leaf spring and a different spread in the spring hangers. We are only talking AlKo Kobler, we have NO knowledge of Dexter Axles. Al asked me to edit this portion of the post because he recently discovered that there is another difference in the 7,000 pound axles, the thickness of the tube wall. He found this data on the AlKo Kobler web site. The installers did not know this.

2.) The Isolator by Laser Dyne (purchased from Lippert Industries). This is similar in idea to the Trailair pin box. Has air bag and large shock. Down side, it is harder for US (not necessarily YOU, but US) to hook up the Montana. Note: Al uses the teflon pad, and that deems that care is used in lining up the king pin, etc. Up side, when you watch this pin box in action it will scare the beejeebies out of you. WHAT, this is a upside you ask! WHY?? Answer: The thought of what was going on BEFORE the Isolator pin box was installed is what is scary. The Isolator really works. Hit a bump in the road, and you can see the Montana FLOATING above the hitch. Hit a BIG bump, and you are really in for a show. If it is absorbing the road this way, what is scary is to think of what was going on BEFORE the Isolator.

3.) Replacement of OEM shocks on the GMC. With less than 18,000 miles who would have thunk it?? Replaced with Bilsteins shocks. When we tested the OEM shocks after replacement, we could get no return on the shock when it was compacted. Al would lean on the shock, get it to compact, and when released, it would NOT come back up. The same test on the new shocks resulted in a nice return to the extended position.

Now, for the gals kitchen report! Before: open kitchen cabinets with care, as there were ALWAYS dumped dishes. The plates would walk, sometimes right into the next section of the cabinet, taking down the spring bars between sections. Now: In well over 1600 miles on some pretty rough roads (hit a section of road that reminded us of I 10 in Mississippi, rough), the paper cups fell over once in 5 days. NOTHING else moved! NOTHING! Plates just where they were supposed to be. Spring bars still in place.

So, for now, the kitchen is UP, not DOWN, it is a good thing!

Carol

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:08 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That sounds like a great improvement, Carol, and a lot of time and frustration. I'm glad that it's all behind you. We have a mid-kitchen and don't have too many dishes on the move but don't like having any. So I can only imagine how difficult it was for you guys. Sure glad that things are better. Judy
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:18 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

That sounds like a great improvement, Carol, and a lot of time and frustration. I'm glad that it's all behind you. We have a mid-kitchen and don't have too many dishes on the move but don't like having any. So I can only imagine how difficult it was for you guys. Sure glad that things are better. Judy
But Judy...it always was behind her. In the kitchen? In the trailer? Get it?

Anyway I did ses a video showing the action between the tower and the towee and I think you would all be surprised at the movement.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Carol, I am interested in you #2 above, but I can't locate any information on that "Isolator". Can you give me a link or a lead?
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:55 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
David,

As far as we know there is NOTHING on the web about the Isolator. We looked again today. The Isolator is not actively advertised, but there are some RV's that are being sold with the Isolator installed as OEM. NOT Keystone products from what I remember.

Here is the phone number, Al says they are VERY helpful!!

1-574-522-3606

Carol
Old 02-09-2005, 10:29 AM   #6
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Carol ... I KNEW there was something not right when you described the problems you had with stuff in your cabinets! I'm so glad the problem seems to be resolved.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 10:37 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ha ha Vicki

NOT as glad as I am!

Carol
Old 02-09-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
Montana_2825
Established Member

M.O.C. #2825

Did a reverse phone lookup on tha tphone number and it comes back to
Laser Dyne Inc
Current Address
Elkhart, 46516
(574) 522-3606
Montana_2825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:04 PM   #9
Montana_2825
Established Member

M.O.C. #2825
More on Laser Dyne:

Metal Fabricators
Laser Dyne, Inc.
Mr. Patrick Heller
822 Middlebury St
Elkhart,IN 46516
Phone: (574) 295-4124
FAX: (574) 293-0047

Old 02-09-2005, 12:41 PM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
That would be them wingnut, Isolator by Laser Dyne (somehow connected to Lippert). I do not know the connection.

Carol
Old 02-09-2005, 12:45 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wingnut, if you find out anything about the cost of that system would you post it?

Yea Carol and Al, I'm glad to hear you've solved that problem. I know it was very vexing for you and can sure understand why.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:26 PM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glenn, you need to go eat a few more Chocolate chip cookies! Too much time on your hands. Did you remember to pick Lorraine up from work today?
Old 02-09-2005, 01:26 PM   #13
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

Vexing would be one word, I can think of a lot others I cannot post to the forum! HA!

I cannot say which of the 3 items was more responsible for the fix, or if one was more responsible. I believe it was a combination. For example, we had the first 2 done, did some running with Montana, maybe 3 or 4 hundred miles. Then we had number 3 done. It made a noticable difference in the way we felt the road in the truck with and without Montana hooked up.

It is gonna be real interesting to continue to monitor this situation as we get more miles on Montana and as things start to wear in. Just like an engine on a new truck, we expect that some of the dynamics will change over time.

But, I will repeat one sentiment from orignal message: Once you have seen how that Montana floats around when you hit bumps in the road with the Isolator, you will be aghast. I looked at Al and said, I am no physics major, BUT, holy moly, can you imagine the forces at play here BEFORE the Isolator?? (My eldest son has a Doctorate in Physics, but, I don't have a CLUE!! HAHA). But, I can tell you from looking at the actions and reactions while running down the road that the forces must be something else and it scares the willies out of me to think what this was doing to the entire Montana, frame, sides, stuff inside, everything!

Al had not really seen it in action until on the way down here I drove from somewhere past Little Rock Arkansas to Dallas, Texas. He sat in the passenger seat, turned around and really watched. Cannot print his words here either!

So, we will of course, keep monitoring the situation and see what happens.

Carol
Old 02-09-2005, 01:47 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You went with an excellent brand of shock so I'm not surprised you see a significant improvement. Our new Ford came with Rancho shocks as original equipment (FX4 package) so it would be hard to improve on them at this point. But, like everything else mechanical, some day they will wear out and have to be replaced.

It's good to see you two smiling about the ride, now, and not having things walking around in the trailer. Hope you're enjoying South Texas. We'll be down there next Jan/Feb.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:54 PM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

We have been here since the 1st. The first week, I went out of the park one day, to get groceries. Neither one of us moved for the next 4 days, maybe it was 5. Al started feeling better and went out to get a few things, and then right back. Yesterday is the SECOND time I have been out. Today we also went out to dinner here in the park.

I can say that I am enjoying sitting here in my fav Montana, but not much else! SIGH

The bright side, WE ARE BETTER NOW!

Drove out to Mission yesterday, saw the park you will be staying at, it is laid out rather nice, curves and interesting pull through sites. The park we are in, at least this section reminds me of a bowling alley, all the ducks (RV's) lined up in a row!

Ahh, variety, makes life so interesting!

Cheers, Carol
Old 02-10-2005, 03:02 AM   #16
Mike and Wendy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1148
Here is the the contact for the Isolator:
Jeremiah Grubert at TRP Fabex,LLC (574)293-0717. Their homepage is trpint.com
Mike and Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:12 AM   #17
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Mike,

Check the URL please, that takes me to some Mac OS X server,?????

The information for contact that we gave out is direct from the Isolator ON our unit. Al has called that phone number and talked to people. Nice people. We have never heard of this TRP Fabex, LLC. Unless the company has changed names or something???

Anyway, could you repost the URL???

Carol
Old 02-10-2005, 05:11 AM   #18
Montana_2825
Established Member

M.O.C. #2825

I spoke to Jeremiah at Favex this morning, and he is sending me a complete package of information on the Isolator Air Ride pinbox. Cost is roughly $750. I could not access a web site for them, but will try again.

wingnut
Old 02-10-2005, 05:16 AM   #19
Montana_2825
Established Member

M.O.C. #2825
Jeremiah has posted some pin box information at the "From the Montana Administrator" site.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:54 AM   #20
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I think Jeremiah's post was deleted. It sounded too much like an advertisement. But it was good information.

Maybe it will show up somewhere, but I can't find it. J