Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Ground Squirrels

Yes they hit the RAM on the last campout. they started ripping the hood and firewall instalation apart for nesting material. I tried everything sprays, starting the truck, I even went to Home Depot and purchased a small roll of insulation for them to use instead of my trucks stuff, they used almost all of it, I nailed it to the ground so it could not be pulled away it seemed to help a little bit. the insurance company said they would cover anything above the deductable if I want to use it. later a bag of squirrel control down the hole and a big rock realy did the trick. now I have to see dodge cor a price on parts which are mostly pop in holders for the parts.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don,
We stayed at the Escapee's Park Sierra Vista park near Coarsegold, CA. They have about a zillion of the little guys. They had instructions to leave the hood of the truck open about 6 inches or so. Apparently that helps keep them out! We were only there for a couple of days and did not have a problem with them. But we did see a LOT of the trucks with the hoods up a little bit!

That's all I know about dealing with them. Now Steve and Vicki have a much more interesting story about some little critters.... I believe they were dealing with chipmonks. Anyway sorry to hear about your problem. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thanks Dennis for the tip on the hood being left open, I'll try that next time I go to that park. I wonder what that can possably mean to the squirrel when the hood is left open.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Don, your tale reminded me of Bill Murray in Caddyshack! with the golf course varmits! Hope you get it resolved.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, I'm sorry to hear about that and hope the damage was not too severe.

Dennis, it was a gray squirrel and it was at the 2006 Lake Siskiyou rally when the day before we were to leave I opened the front locker and nearly banged my head on the overhang when I jumped in reaction to the noise of a gray squirrel running over to the hole into the belly. She first stopped and looked at me and then disappeared in that hole. I discovered she had given birth to several babies in the AC cover which I'd stored in that front locker. She ruined the cover, by the way. You may recall I pulled the cover out, with babies still in it. Several guys gathered around while I built a nest of pine needles, then put on latex gloves and carefully transferred the babies to the nest on the ground. I'd built the nest right next to the tree that momma had climbed after she exited the belly.

So, what did momma do? Several times she came down that tree, jumped right over that nest, never noticing her little ones, ran over to our rig and climbed up into the belly using the opening around the rear stabilizers. When she came out, I shoved rags into those openings on both sides. Next time, she saw the way was blocked and went to the tire and crawled in the opening around the slide mechanism. I blocked those, too, after she exited.

Then she found the babies, picked one up and took it to our rig, saw all passages blocked, then just climbed the rear stabilizer and pushed the rag out of the way and took the little one inside. She took all of them inside. It was getting late so we decided to wait and see what happens.

That night we turned the tv up louder than usual, stomped around a lot, hoping to drive her out. Next morning, no sign of her anywhere. So we towed the Montana about 15 miles to a big flat pullout area somewhere near McCloud on highway 89, got out our chairs and moved about 50 feet away from the Montana. I figured if she was in there she'd vacate the place after the ride. But, nothing. I guess the night before she decided it was too noisy and moved the kids out.

Here's a picture I got before I pulled out the AC cover.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
They got my truck 3 times from late Dec to early Feb. in my drive way. Thought it was squirrels (as there are a lot around), but it seemed they always did it at night so not sure if it might have been mice/rats. If I left the hood open a few inches, they did not bother it. But when I forgot to raise it, they did. About $400 worth each time.
They always ate the wiring and vacuum hoses at the top right side of the firewall related to the heater/AC damper operation. They would not only eat the insulation, but the metal wire as well. Everything would be completely gone. Also would be leaves, grass, twigs there where they started building a nest. Dampers would stick in the defrost mode.
Bought some CRIDDER RIDDER from Home Depot and they have not bothered it since Feb. Respray every 2-3 weeks. It contains some different pepper extracts and seems to work.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Sure glad they didnt have babies in mine like you Steve. I called the dealer and got the price for the 2 pieces it will be about 240.00 the parts man said put a bar of Dial soap in the area of infestation and there is something about the smell of Dial soap the they dont like and will stay away. after I told him about Dennis' sugestion of leaving the hood open 6 inches.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Wow, what a thread here to read. I think Dial soap could keep me away too. Steve, love those lawn chairs. There good for watching anything aren't they??
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
I noticed a couple of "tree rats" kept going under my truck and climbing up my tires last week in Destin. I kept running them out and worried they might be up to no good. Did not realize they could do that much damage. Luckly I checked the truck and could find none.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
You leave the hood open so it is not dark. A light under the hood works too (so I was told) We had a guy stay here in the park about a Month and he had two motion detector lights under his rig.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have a web site for those motion sensor lights and they are the LED typy lights. I like that idea.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, do they require 110v or are they battery operated? Could you email me the link when you have a chance or post it here? Thanks.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Don, do they require 110v or are they battery operated? Could you email me the link when you have a chance or post it here? Thanks.
sure Steve they are portable they also might work good in those cabinets that have a dark spot and any motion will turn them on.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002U1V7E0/...160_pe_vfe_dt4

I hope this helps you.
Don
Old 04-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Don. Have to go do some shopping so have saved your link for later investigation.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:40 AM   #15
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
Here is another light from Harbor Freight. It is a LED Motion Sensor Light battery powered.

http://www.harborfreight.com/led-mot...ght-95276.html
DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:17 AM   #16
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

This is what happens when I jump into the middle of a thread. Subject: "Ground Squirrels" and the first thing I read is above. Electric ground squirrels? *laugh* *snort*
The Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:30 AM   #17
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Donpd ....thanks for that information there a lot less money then the ones I posted I'll have to go get some from them.

Don