Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2005, 09:32 PM   #1
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Stainless steel screws

I went all over today looking for these screws.Homedepot.true value and some mom and pop hardware stores.They all had stainless steel screws but not the size I needed.I want to replace the screws for the rear ladder.Just about every one is rusted badly.Found some that were pretty close but weren`t the exact size of the ladder screws.

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:58 AM   #2
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Harleyrider
I don't know where you are but I think these guys will ship anywhere, and if they don't have what you want it has not been made.
Tacoma Screw is the name of the place and they are big here in washington. email tacomascrew.com the site is under construction but here is a phone # 1-800-562-8192
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:14 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Harley,

I wasn't able to find the square drive screws at any of the hardware stores. I went to an RV service place and bought what ever i needed from them. If you are replacing a large number of them, you might consider doing a fastener search on the net. A box of 50 or 100 of the screws will be much cheaper than the small packages you see. Robertson screws are a little hard to find.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:27 AM   #4
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
West Marine has a large array of stainless screwsand they seem to be better quality stainless than what are available at Home Depot, etc. We used to own a house in Mexico that was right on the beach and had to use stainless screws on all fixtures because of the salt air.. The only ones that would last came from West Marine.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:32 PM   #5
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Thanks for all you replys.Well I did find stainless steel screws.A tiny hardware store that I would have never htought would have the same size I needed-but they did.The only difference is the new screws are philips head instead of the square head.but I can live with that.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:38 PM   #6
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Forgot to mention-a guy on the RV.net forum said he was replacing his screws also.he was dipping the new screws in some silicon and putting a tooth pick in the hole to get a better bit.Whats your thoughts on this?sounds like it might be the way to go when replacing the rusted screws.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:53 PM   #7
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
HDRDR,

The Toothpick trick is an old trick and works great. I've used it many times. Actualy I fill the hole with them and then break them off flush and reinstall screws. The flat Toothpicks seem to work the best. The Silicone will stop them from backing themselves out. Sounds pretty sound to me.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 05:06 AM   #8
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Stainless is the way to go, but you might use nylon washers to prevent any dissimilar metal deterioration if you are using them for any metal other then stainless you might find a sad suprise someday.
Aluminum, stainless and add a little road salt and you can almost watch the Aluminum deteriorate.
Just a thought.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:08 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Other than esthetics is there a reason to use Roberson screws? I usually just use the phillips head screws.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 04:34 PM   #10
nutts
Established Member

M.O.C. #2189
you might also try fastenal

www.fastenal.com they also have a great bunch of stuff.

jim
nutts is offline   Reply With Quote