Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
The Monty Has Age Spots

My 2005 is showing its age on the rear fiberglass cap. I have lost most of the original shine, it is dull and has black streaks that can't be removed with the usual black streak remover cleaner. Is there a way to restore the cap to a nice shine once again or will I have to show my age spots!

Thanks

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I have used Meguiars and been very satisfied with everything I have tried.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4691
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
See my thread , "She looks better than new". Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:22 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Sometimes a light buffing compound followed by a quality wax will bring it back.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #5
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
From maintaining fiberglass boats over 30 years in the Florida sun bringing the dull faded glass back to life and maintaining it, I offer the following solution.

You will need a professional grade buffer, not the anemic orbital wax applicators that look like a steering wheel attached to a foam pad, and at least two 10” to 12” wool buffing pads.

To estimate the condition of the glass, take a dry hand and wipe it across the surface while pressing down. Your fingers should have “chalk dust” on them. If not, it may not need aggressive buffing. Is the surface smooth, no glass fibers showing. If your fingers had the chalk dust and the surface is smooth, you can bring it back to like new.

Number one rule, do no additional harm, and harm is done by using too aggressive of a compound and too much buffer pressure and buffer speed. Start with the lightest grit compound you can get. If you just go to an auto parts store, Wall Mart, etc. you will have few choices. Typically “polishing compound” the white stuff, and “rubbing compound”, the pink stuff. Get the white stuff, and pick up a throw away paint brush to slap on the compound.

Start with a clean surface. Put some water in the can of white compound stir it up and slap a little on a small area, about 2’ x 2’ with the paint brush and slop it around. Steer clear of the decals. Gently, use the buffer at low speed, keep it moving over the compound until it is gone and the surface is bright and slick to the touch. If you have done it right, no towel will be needed to finish the area. You’ll get the hang of it. When you are done, apply by hand or with that anemic buffer mentioned above, some pure carnauba wax. Buff it off. The results will be better than all those "lazy man" magic remedies that proliferate maintenance threads.

Now get a few beers and some Icy Hot for your aching arms that are now three inches longer from hanging on to that buffer all afternoon. Sit back and admire. Mental note to self, don’t let it get in this condition again, wax, wax, wax a few times a year.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:51 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Good info Dave, and unfortunately, you have reminded me of what still lies ahead for this year concerning the boat!! I usually use a marine grade polish between your steps of polishing compound and wax though. As Dave mentioned, if you elect to go this route, pressing too hard and at too high a speed can burn the gel-coat, you can monitor this by feeling the surface with your hand, if it too hot to the touch, you are overdoing something! I like the idea of applying the polishing compound with a brush and adding water, never tried it that way, but definitely will from now on! Thanks!! My arms are starting to hurt already, it is a full weekend job that lies ahead!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote