Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2011, 07:44 AM   #1
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
our roof blew off - photos

Hi,
Our roof blew off on our way southbound on 95 in Nevada, about 2 hours from Pahrump. This happened Monday, and after finding the "right" person at Keystone (we are, luckily, still under warranty) we will be getting our rig back - and a new roof - today. Keystone stepped up, for sure. Photos on our blog: http://rvingandtravels.blogspot.com/2011/10/our-rv-roof-blew-off-somewhere-nevada.html

Getting fixed at Johnnie Walkers in Las Vegas. Haven't seen the new roof yet, but must share that so far they have been great - kind & helpful - they've gone above & beyond.

~Suzanne & Brad

subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Oh my gosh! Do you know what caused that? I would hope that something pierced and tore open a bit of the surface, then a long fast drive would force it open like that. I hope it didn't come out of the factory that way because the implications would be far worse for many others, if the factory isn't doing things correctly.

It's great you have a warranty, but I no longer have one nor want one, since most repairs I have been able to do. But I'm hoping my roof should be able to stay on for at least 10 years or more.

What a bummer that you are stuck in Las Vegas while this is being repaired. Good thing the TV still works. I hope you can find something to do.... or see.....
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Bad news and good news...sorry to here of the damage to your Montana, but very happy to hear Keystone is going to have it fixed. Good luck in getting it done right.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
There doesn't appear to be any adhesive on the plywood decking

If that's how the whole roof was installed, it will make the replacement easier. They won't have much surface prep to do before applying the EPDM adhesive to the plywood.
Makes me wonder now, when you see ripples or bubbles in the rubber roof. How much adhesive is typically applied and how complete is the coverage?

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
Send a message via AIM to arcateq
I almost fell out of my chair when i saw these pics!!!! Glad you were/are able to get it handled. WOW i NEVER want to see that on my Montana High Country
arcateq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #6
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Oh my gosh! Do you know what caused that?
Hi,
Appears as if the roof wasn't glued down properly......guess hte lunch bell rang while it was being done and well, there ya go!
Happy Travels!!
Old 10-22-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drsmart

There doesn't appear to be any adhesive on the plywood decking

If that's how the whole roof was installed, it will make the replacement easier. They won't have much surface prep to do before applying the EPDM adhesive to the plywood.
Makes me wonder now, when you see ripples or bubbles in the rubber roof. How much adhesive is typically applied and how complete is the coverage?

Dave
Hi Dave,
Yeah - Brad (DH) noticed that the wood was bare (i.e. lacking adhesive) when he went up there to put a patch on so we could continue. We hadn't noticed any bubbling or billowing before - it's only 10 months old and we've only been FTing for two, so.......

Not sure how much adhesive us typically used, but I'm pretty sure we have a good amount now!
~Suzanne
Old 10-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
folks at the highest levels at Keystone/Montana need to see and hear about that. In excusable.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Tha's amazing! I'm wondering how did you discover this?
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
bighornram, I think the way they found it was in the blog link. IIRC they heard flapping like they had a flat, then after pulling over to look for a flat tire and seeing nothing they found the problem at the roof, or something like that. I suppose it would be making a pretty good racket.

Man, I hate to read about obvious quality manufacturing issues. It really puts a damper for us who like to think that "Made in the U.S.A." means something good. There is never an excuse for shoddiness. The cost to eventual customers and that company's reputation has got to hurt everyone involved.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:25 AM   #11
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

bighornram, I think the way they found it was in the blog link. IIRC they heard flapping like they had a flat, then after pulling over to look for a flat tire and seeing nothing they found the problem at the roof, or something like that. I suppose it would be making a pretty good racket.
That's basically what happened. Luckily we had our windows open and heard the flapping (it came on very suddenly) - I can't imagine how bad it would have been if we have the windows closed and AC on...... We were also lucky that there was a pull-out within a hundred-yards or so, since we were still thinking 'flat tire'. We got out, each walked our side, said, "Nope, no flat tire." I (Suzanne) went in to use the bathroom (gotta take advantage of every stop ), and when I came out, Brad was sitting on the ground and was pale, and said "look up." The next sentences out of my mouth cannot be repeated.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #12
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I totally understand Brads words, sure mine would have been close to the same. Hopefully it can get done right this time and you can finish your original trip. Hate when vacations get ruined like that. Good luck in the future on your Montana!
Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
tsenior
Established Member

M.O.C. #12378
We just picked up our new 3455 RL and when I got it home I climbed on the roof and found that the decking was lifting from the rafters in 2 places beneath the rubber. I should have climbed up before I took possession...oh well. Returned it to dealer and now waiting for replacement roof.
tsenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #14
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
My 2001 Montana roof came loose in South Dakota back in 2003. It looked like a big balloon on the front half of the trailer. Sent photos to Keystone and they put a new roof on. I was told it takes about 2-3 hours to remove the old rubber roof but mine only took 15 minutes. Not enough glue so it poped up.
Glad they are taking care of yours also.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Suzanne & Brad,
Sorry to hear of your roof problems. But your subject description is a bit misleading. From the tone of your wording I expected to see nothing but plywood! It certainly looks like they just didn't put down any glue. I'll bet the new roof will be very secure. Sure glad you caught it early. Was the noise extremely loud or was it exactly like a tire blow out? Good luck and safe travels. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:49 AM   #16
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
On more than one occasion, we have fifth wheels heading the other direction on the interstate, with roofs ballooned up in the front. Always figured the rubber separated at the front, either from poor installation or a tear, and wind gets under the roof, and "puffs" it up, tearing more and more of the membrane off. Glad Keystone is going to take care of you.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #17
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Most likely when they did their final quality control check and itemized parts list, glue for the roof was not on the list.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #18
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Another quality PDI by the dealer. Kinda makes you uneasy about what else they may have missed...

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tsenior

We just picked up our new 3455 RL and when I got it home I climbed on the roof and found that the decking was lifting from the rafters in 2 places beneath the rubber. I should have climbed up before I took possession...oh well. Returned it to dealer and now waiting for replacement roof.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote