Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2017, 04:24 PM   #1
David T. MacNeill
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19930
First winterizing complete — thanks to all of you!

Well we did it, but we could not have done it without your help. All our goofy questions about low point drain valves, antifreeze, traps, water pumps, air compressors, hot water tank flushing — 10,000 little things.

We just want to thank you all for your patience through our bungling. Maybe we’ll see you one fine day come Spring. We’ll be the ones wearing big ol’ grins in our funky old Ford F250 pulling our slightly less funky Montana 3280RL.
David T. MacNeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:31 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Just have to ask. Did you winterize your black tank flush line, outside shower, and clothes washer lines?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
David T. MacNeill
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19930
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Did you winterize your black tank flush line, outside shower, and clothes washer lines?
We blasted then air dried for six hours (at 45psi) every line out with our new Porter Cable CMB-15 oil-less compressor, then added antifreeze to kitchen and vanity faucets, the inside shower drain, both washer lines and drain, outside shower line, and of course the head leaving a couple cups in the bowl to keep the flush seal wet. Also water wand blasted the water heater followed by a 48-hour 50% vinegar standing hot flush and finally installed a new anode.

Next challenge is inspecting the roof and touching up any issues with Dicor, a full exterior wash and wax, lube the slide seals, then dry lube the landing gear, slide rails, and rear stabilizers. Whew!
Old 10-21-2017, 06:26 PM   #4
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Way to much effort for me. With water heater empty and bypassed , fresh water tank drained along with empty waste tanks , put 3-4 gallons of rv antifreeze in the fresh tank and turn on the pump, open ALL fixtures until you see pink. Blow air into the black tank flush line. DONE in less than 15 min.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #5
David T. MacNeill
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19930
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Way to much effort for me.
That’s what I wanted to do but my lovely wife would not consent to me using antifreeze in the fresh tank. (Insert sound of a whip crack here.)
Old 10-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by David T. MacNeill View Post
That’s what I wanted to do but my lovely wife would not consent to me using antifreeze in the fresh tank. (Insert sound of a whip crack here.)
No antifreeze in the fresh water tank. That is what the winterizing port is for.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:58 PM   #7
coachgrowl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20448
If I live in the trailer in Bloomington Indiana what do I need to winterize? We will be there Nov thru March. I was just going to get a heated fresh water hose. Never camped in this cold for this long. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:46 PM   #8
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
ummmmm.....well let me ask the question then. Is the winterizing port hooked directly to the water pump inlet bypassing the tank? Will a gallon of antifreeze fill all the lines?
Is the hot water tank bypass intended for use during the process as well (IE: tank doesn't use up all the antifreeze)?
I assume that you have to pull the plug on the hot water tank to drain for winter?
Fortunately we live in North Arkansas so winters are usually not to extreme....
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Assuming it is like mine. You put the water heater in bypass. And you turn the winterizing switch to the winterize position. Using a short piece of water hose (I bought a cheap 10' fresh water hose and cut it to about 4') you connect one end to the winterizing inlet and the other end dropped into a gallon jug of antifreeze. Start the water pump. The pump will suck the antifreeze from the jug and send it thru your fresh water lines as you open the faucets, but not into the fresh water tank or water heater. Sequentially open each faucet until you see pink stuff. Also for the toilet, the outside shower, low point drains, and the washer connections. I also connect my coiled outside shower hose to my black tank flush connection and run antifreeze thru the flush lines.

It takes 3-4 gallons of antifreeze to fill all my lines. But I do run it enough to get antifreeze into my traps at the same time. And the washer takes quite a bit. You have to watch the jug as it sucks the antifreeze out pretty fast and will start sucking air. Best to have the jug near the height of the connection to make it easier for the pump to suck the antifreeze into the inlet. I have a small funnel that I stick into the jug with the hose. Then as it gets low, I refill it from another jug. I do that rather than try to suck a jug dry and risk sucking air and then moving the hose to another jug.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #10
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post

It takes 3-4 gallons of antifreeze to fill all my lines. But I do run it enough to get antifreeze into my traps at the same time. And the washer takes quite a bit. You have to watch the jug as it sucks the antifreeze out pretty fast and will start sucking air. Best to have the jug near the height of the connection to make it easier for the pump to suck the antifreeze into the inlet. I have a small funnel that I stick into the jug with the hose. Then as it gets low, I refill it from another jug. I do that rather than try to suck a jug dry and risk sucking air and then moving the hose to another jug.
Another tip if you don't have a funnel that the hose will fit through.
I pour about 3 gallons of antifreeze into a 5 gallon pail and suck it out from there and if I need more I can pour more into the pail. I watch the antifreeze and my wife opens the faucets. We communicate using walkie talkies.
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #11
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
BBTX, Thanks for the information. That tells me everything I need to know. And thanks for reminding me about the lines I would have forgotten!

Fortunately the winters here in North Arkansas are generally short and not to extreme. We won't winterize till December and we will start camping again in March. On occasion we even camp some during the winter months if we hit a warm spell....
Old 10-22-2017, 06:45 PM   #12
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I was just thinking the same thing about the 5 gallon bucket. New and sterile of course....
Old 10-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #13
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I have done the winterizing port method before using a 5 gallon bucket. Its just WAY easier to my to put 3-4 gallons in the tank and pump it through. To each his own I guess.

Back to the bucket, really ( A new and sterile one). I think the world has gone way to germofobic (if that's a word). Just a clean bucket will work for me.

Not necessarily myself, but my four kids grew up camping from infancy. They ate there share of leaves and dirt at many campsites throughout there early years and are just fine today.

There is such a thing about being to anal and safe about everything.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:52 PM   #14
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
beeje,

LOL. Well you have to understand that I sold hazardous chemicals in the oilfield for 30 years. I have seen some really nasty 5 gallon buckets....That and I was anticipating someone jumping on the dirty bucket thing IE: coming from the opposite side of the argument, if I hadn't said anything....