Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2019, 09:36 PM   #1
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Best brands of Class A Motorhomes

Ok before anyone beats me up for talking about brands and things other than Montana 5th wheels, at least hear me out. I trust the folks on this forum more than any other source. As such, I hope you will indulge the sincere question below as it relates to what will be a very large investment no matter which way we go.

We are a few years out from retirement and not by choice living full time in our Montana HC 381TH. We originally bought the unit as weekend warriors chasing white water in the Ozark Mountains. Now we are stuck due to my career in the New Mexico desert. Why oil drilling booms can't happen somewhere like Florida or Hawaii is beyond me.

Despite the less than desirable location (saved only by great neighbors and my grandkids living nearby), the HC has served us fairly well as a fulltime home. BUT we are looking down the road at retirement and as such what RV we will purchase next. We plan to winter in Florida and summer part time on the road (spending a month or so at each location and then moving a few days away to the next). We will still maintain our country estate in the Arkansas Ozarks (its just to pretty to give up and it is where we will spend those last few years when traveling finally gets to be too much).

We are trying to decide if we want to stay with a 5th wheel or step up to a Class A. We have a LOT of toys we want to take with us when we will be traveling during the summer as full retirees. The thoughts are either tow a 5th wheel with a one ton while the wife tows the toys in our 24' enclosed trailer with a 3/4 ton OR buy a Class A and a double decker enclosed trailer so we can ride together. We are fairly sure what we would buy for our next 5th wheel so that isn't an issue.

However we don't have nearly as much experience with Class A units. We have had a Class A gas before but not a diesel pusher. As we look at those I am wondering which brands are considered better and that is the main question I am asking here. We clearly understand the additional costs of a Class A that is not the question. Just need to know what the best brands are and what to look for in frames, engines and such.

Its a very big decision no matter which way we go.

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:35 AM   #2
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I, too have zero experience with an 'A' but after a few years on another forum (iRV2) plus a bunch of wandering years, have felt like these,IMHO, three have the best to offer:

-Winnebago
- Newmar (just acquired by Winnebago last month)

- Tiffin

All have different models and price ranges along with drive trains

Then there are the Prevost based MHs which are the top of the lineup and of course, price.

Good luck!
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
cotter key
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10849
Friend had a Newmar (Essex) i believe, we always said it could be Loretta Lynns tour bus
cotter key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:03 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have no experience with motorhomes other than what I read on rvnet.com about other's experiences and wandering thru them at RV shows. Googling top rated motorhomes really confuses the issue as you can find multiple sites supposed rating the top MHs, and they don't agree with each other. What is a person to do?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Freightliner chassis is used on a lot of diesel pushers. Used to have a 2004 tropical with cat diesel and it was a great experience. National rv was one of many manufacturers that went out of business in the past rv crash. The family business model of tiffin speaks to customer service. A neighbor at riverside had a Crack in the fiberglass start by one corner of their rear slideout. Tiffin told them to come to factory and it would be taken care of for free, which it was. Think you just have to see what you like in your price range. I really liked how our pusher drove in all situations, coming out of mountains was a calm experience, could park it fairly easily in rv parks of all kinds. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #6
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Marathon!
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
For best information I would$ research motor home forums
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #8
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Foretravel

When I win the lottery I plan to give Foretravel a close look. I have always admired them from afar. The plant is in East Texas in Nacogdoches.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #9
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
we almost gave up the fiver for a class A, did a lot of research, test drives, etc. looked at Winnebago, Tiffin, Berkshire and Entegra. Even put in a thicker concrete driveway. Almost pulled the trigger on the Entegra, it definitely out shined the others. we finally decided, after 6 months, that we had more living space in a 5'r, bought our 3731. Not looking back

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:09 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Now that Winnebago has purchased Newmar I think you're probably stuck with Tiffin.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:15 PM   #11
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Friend of mine from work (now retired) bought a 2018-19 ? Entraga Espire. Its a really nice rig. Unfortunately he had a fare amount of medical issues that prevents him (and DW) from using it for its intended purpose. They sold there house 2 years ago and have been sitting in the same spot.They had planed to go full time to travel the country. They must now stay close to the top medical facilities were we live.

It is for sale !! Its will not be cheap. I guessing some where around 300k + or-. Its got less that 3000k on it.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #12
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I have no experience with motorhomes other than what I read on rvnet.com about other's experiences and wandering thru them at RV shows. Googling top rated motorhomes really confuses the issue as you can find multiple sites supposed rating the top MHs, and they don't agree with each other. What is a person to do?
Yep that's why I am asking on here. Looked online and lot of contradictory information. I trust the folks on here more than any other website. I know from experience that all of you will be honest.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:33 PM   #13
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Friend of mine from work (now retired) bought a 2018-19 ? Entraga Espire. Its a really nice rig. Unfortunately he had a fare amount of medical issues that prevents him (and DW) from using it for its intended purpose. They sold there house 2 years ago and have been sitting in the same spot.They had planed to go full time to travel the country. They must now stay close to the top medical facilities were we live.

It is for sale !! Its will not be cheap. I guessing some where around 300k + or-. Its got less that 3000k on it.
We actually kicked around the idea of a used Class A before we bought the current 381TH. But at that time we were just looking as weekend warriors and just could not justify the $$. Can't tell you the number of times we heard "we waited all our lives and finally retired and bought this wonderful Class A then he/she got sick and we haven't had it out of the shed since.....I really do feel bad for folks who worked so hard to enjoy a few years and then sadly it gets cut short....
Old 09-29-2019, 02:28 PM   #14
travelcade
Established Member

M.O.C. #23237
I have a question you need to consider. If you already have the trucks to tow everything you need why would you want to spend 10000s for another motor just to lose 6 feet of living space?
travelcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:43 PM   #15
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
As much as you trust the MOC forum members for suggestions, aren't you asking a group that are primarily trailer owners. Sure some may have owned a class A at one time. As mentioned, motor home forums should be a good source of information. Their topics and comments should be as straightforward and honest as within the MOC. For me the search for a new rig is half the fun.
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:52 PM   #16
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
If you want a good broad spectrum, I'd try something like the FMCA group. Granted the recently voted to accept Trailers, most are long time Motor Home folks.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:08 PM   #17
golfafter45

M.O.C. #23689
We had a 2004 Newmar and then got a 2014 Newmar. Liked them both, but just decided I could replace or repair a pick-up if there were major mechanical issues much cheaper than I could replace or repair major mechanical issues with the 44 foot Class A. As far as Brands go Newmar was a good unit. But there may be some that are just as good for less cost!
golfafter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:14 PM   #18
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
Class A motorhomes

Since you stated that your plans are to pull a stacker trailer full of toys, the only real choice is either a class A diesel pusher or a super C. We pulled 5’ers for almost 6 years before going to a class A diesel pusher. The top three ‘major players’ (in no order) are Entegra(Thor owned), Newmar (just purchased by Winnebago), and Tiffin (independent).

Yes there are others, both for less cost, and way more cost. Any of the three listed make quality products, and ALL will have some issues occasionally. But the power of a diesel pusher and the ride of air suspension has no comparison in a truck and 5’er.

We looked at all three and chose Newmar because of their “Comfort Drive” feature, I highly recommend you look into it. Comfort Drive is only available on Newmar.

I expect all kinds of comments both positive and negative regarding the above (not going to debate), but any one of the above with at least a 500+hp diesel will meet your needs (pulling a stacker trailer). Be prepared for sticker shock, any of these will be multiple $100Ks new and at least $100K+ used depending on age and features.

The above comments are based on many hours of personal research, driving each of the above, and two years of owning/driving a class A.

Good luck in your search!!!

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:17 PM   #19
jaidinger
Established Member

M.O.C. #21840
My friend has had nothing but problems with his Jayco. A complete lemon
jaidinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:44 AM   #20
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I have never owned a motor home. When researching different types of RVs I decided on a fiver over all other products. I took the advice of a friend who would never own a motor home. Too many problems, three engines. One powering the rig, one for the generator and one for the Toad. Plus propane is a problem have to take the whole rig to the fill station. Not to mention when you see a big burn spot in the road “motor home” fire (his words not mine).

Now all that said he now owns a motor home???? He collects old cars and loves to go to the classic car shows so a motor home and a large transport trailer works better than a toy haller.

For me I just don’t want to deal with the above. If my TV quits I just have it worked on. May have to rent a car if it is going to be a week long repair. I still have my home. You have a engine problem and you are done, rig in the shop you is a hotel.

If the RV has a problem I can have a Mobile tech comes out and fixes it. I don’t know if there are Mobile tech companies that can or will work on a class A. I guess they would depend on what is wrong.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote