Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2006, 07:58 AM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Little Nuvi 350

I know everyone probably has a GPS - I'm relatively new to it and was just tickled with this new Garmin Nuvi 350. It has touch screen commands - birds eye view - and most important, its compact enough to put in my shirt pocket for hiking or biking. We can even download audible books to it for the road or at camp. The charger cord plugs into the unit, or directly into the bracket so I don't have to disconnect anything to take it with me - just push a button and go.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:13 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Neat unit Brad, I wonder though if they make a swivel mount to go on the steering wheel so the visually impaired (myself) can see it through bifocals???

Lonnie
2006 Montana 3000RK, Reciever Hitch for Boat and Toy Trailer
2003 F250 CC PSD, LB, 6 Speed Manual Trans., 4X4, Air Suspension, Husky 15K Hitch
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:21 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Lonnie - To be honest it is a little close for my progressives and I have to tilt my head up to get to the sweet spot in my glasses. But I don't get any glare up there.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:27 AM   #4
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Us guys with bifocals need the Gamin 7200.

http://www.megagps.com/index.asp?Pag...ROD&ProdID=792

04 Silver Dodge Laramie QC 3500 DRW, HO Diesel, 2wd, 6spd, LB, 4.10, Sport pkg, Bun warmers, Jake.

2004 Big Sky 3670RL, Fireplace, Sat Dish/Dig Readout, Cent Vac, Big Sky & Value Pkg, 2 Fantastic Fans, Basement Tray, Safety Glass, 2 Batts, Pressure Pro
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:58 AM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
LOL Brad, I know what you mean about the sweet spot, illusive little sucker, at times I think I may get a crick in my neck before I find what I'm trying to see. I've only had these a couple of weeks, but like them more everyday.
Back to the original post, how does it compare in price to the Garmin?
On Edit- Jeez, I must have had a blonde moment, and I'm not even blond, wife is, does this mean it's contagious? I see it is a Garmin, and priced it on the URL posted by c5racer.
Lonnie
2003 F250 CC PSD, LB, 6 Speed Manual Trans., 4X4, Air Suspension, Husky 15K Hitch
Old 09-14-2006, 09:08 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Lonnie,

Actually the Nuvi is a Garmin. They just introduced it this year. I paid $650 at Best Buy, but it comes pre-loaded with all of the US and Canada maps. No additional cards to buy unless your headed to Europe. I paid an additional $20-$30 for an extra bracket and charger to take it with me on business in rental cars.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:10 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
LOL - I guess we both need to align that sweet spot to the screen. You missed the Garmin, and I missed that you already found that out. hahah
Old 09-14-2006, 09:17 AM   #8
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Sometimes I wonder about this getting older business, good thing it wasn't a snake, we both would've been bit.

Lonnie
Old 09-27-2006, 05:56 AM   #9
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
Our daughter got us a Nuvi 360 for fathers day. They were so far behind in production we didn't get it until mid August. Works great. I wish you could reroute it easer. It is bound and determined to go it's way. But yo don't need to "watch" it the sweet lady tells you when to turn and when "you" screwed up. I think the only difference between the two units is the 360 is "Blue tooth" equipped and will show slide shows of your photos. She also got herself one for her rig. She took it with her to Italy as we speak.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:24 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Treecounter -
Too cool! The 360 wasn't ready yet when I bought. I have the slide show but no blue tooth. I think yours also has hands free voice if your using a blue tooth telephone.

I agree with the reroute - she's a stubborn gal but eventually figures it out. I've tried a few of the other systems as well and they are just as stubborn, so it must be a software issue. I love listening to the UK english gal just slaughter the names of streets when I'm in New Mexico - I just burst out laughing with the kids.

You'll like the compactness, and I use the audio books all of the time. Don't forget to register for updates. They email you and I'm on my 5th new software version with several new features.

Brad
Old 09-27-2006, 12:35 PM   #11
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Brad,

Let me know how that drive to Europe works out for you to try that GPS out there!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:16 PM   #12
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Heh...first time I've seen this thread. I also am a happy owner of the Nuvi 350, had it since last January (I was an early adopter).
We criss-crossed Florida in a rental car on vacation and never once had to pull out a map. She got us there without a hitch.
Back home, one of my jobs is a field sup for a construction company and frequently am all over the place. I use it for work everyday (aren't write offs wonderful) and she still hasn't let me down. The good part is not just going from the office to the jobsite, but from jobsite to jobsite. Mapquest would be a pain in the rear, but with Karen (our beloved Aussie female) it is all done in stride and saves me lots of headaches. The owner of the company saw it in action and he promptly went online and bought one.

For mounting, I cut a piece of plexi and put it in the ashtray. This keeps it out of the sun, out of view from others, and allows me to tuck the power wire. One of the best purchases I've made.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:47 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hahahaha - Aussie! Thats the one I use. Couldn't remember Ozzie because I've been faithful to her since I first heard her voice and have never tried to change it. Just wish I could use her voice to read me the books too!

Mac! She probably wishes she was in Europe! You should hear her say "Espinola" or "Pajarito". Even "ramp" comes out a little funny and I keep looking for "Grant". All works out the same though, once I'm out of my driveway I'm already lost, so might as well think I'm in Europe!

Brad
Old 09-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #14
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
You guys are going to get me in trouble, I can't spend more money after ordering that new TV. Seriously that was the only upside to waiting until the "real" 2007 model, the Chevrolet Silverado (GMC too I imagine) are going to have built in GPS available. That would be cool but not worth the addtional $$$ for the new diesel emmissions.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:15 PM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
MAC - Dory's Expedition has built in Navigation. It costs $250 bucks to update it - can't leave the state without changing CDs (set of 9) - it can't say street names - has a grouchy voice - and you have to use a Joystick to enter info! Not sure if Jimmy has a better version planned for 2007 - but to me it was not worth the $2K - $3K to get it. When I drive her car I hang the Nuvi in there and ignore her system. You probably made the right choice.

Now.....make a fancy dinner reservation for tonight with your wife.....get real-real lost on the way (spend some time in the back parts of Denver)......tell her how dissapointed you are the GMC didn't offer the Nav system yet and maybe you should postpone the purchase.....then bring up the Nuvi! Worked for me in the boat...after running out of gas in the dark lost at Lake Powell - I now have a new Garmin sounder/chartplotter courtesy of my beloved.

Brad
Old 09-27-2006, 02:17 PM   #16
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
One of our friends is part owner of a Honda dealership...their line uses GPS with Garmin software. Of course they have a much larger screen, but they are also a $2500+ option.
For a little over $600, this little gem is all the navigation I need.
I also have an FM transmitter that pipes into my truck stereo. Works good on books and also MP3's. Along with a couple 2 gig SD cards, you can carry all you need for a long trip. I'd rather have a direct input on a 1/8 stereo plug, one day I'll sort that one out...

Brad, you listening? If you know how, I am all ears...
...and about Karen...took one of my coworkers to lunch and showed it to him. He said he wanted to meet her...LOL
Old 09-27-2006, 02:26 PM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozzie - hahahaha - I think Garmin should actually post a bio with pics for Karen, so we can visualize who we are dealing with.

What did you say about the FM thingy? Is that something you plug into the earphone piece?

Brad
Old 09-27-2006, 02:38 PM   #18
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Yes - it's a 1/8 stereo plug into the Nuvi, and is an FM transmitter.
You power both units up, synch the stations, and you listen through your truck stereo. You can listen to either MP3's or books, but not FM reception (a fall down for me as I'd like to have that feature).
It works the same way as without regarding interruptions for direction, only it sounds much nicer.

The drawback is you periodically have to change frequency as you need to select one with no noise. Of course since this is based on FM , it changes as you change geographical locations.
If you had a stereo input wired to a 1/8 plug, you could set your stereo to AUX and be done with it. Still no FM, but at least your getting closer.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:03 PM   #19
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Here's a link to explain it better Brad...

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8V3080.../dp/B0001F22PA

Read the customer reviews towards the bottom for a little more insight. It isn't perfect, which is why I want to wire a plug to my truck stereo, but it does provide an inexpensive and simple solution to get a little more volume going down the road.
If I have a window cracked a bit, it is difficult to hear the Nuvi for us.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:47 PM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Ozzie!

The Nuvi tiny speaker supports the compact design and works great carrying the unit around, but I have difficulty hearing it over the cab noise. I had only hoped that the new truck would have the input jack (I-pod), but no luck in 2006. You've just solved the problem for me. It's worth a try, as I have no idea how to plug something in direct to the radio without that jack.

Brad